[SR]The Madhouse, a campaign...

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
Atragon
Wuffle Student

[SR]The Madhouse, a campaign...

Post by Atragon »

Recently I decided to get back into GMing Shadowrun, and I wanted to do something really unusual. Take a group of players, have them create overly poerful characters, and throw them into one of the deadliest environments in the SR universe. A huge building controled by a rogue AI...

That's right, drop the PCs right into the Arc.

To make it a memorable experience, the characters are going to be larger than life, members of an elite corporate special ops team sent into the Arc a few weeks after lockdown to find out just what happened. They'll be going in with no information as to what they're up against, and I intend to turn it into a 341 floor nightmare for them.

If the characters succeed in escaping, they'll have Renraku after them. If they fall, Deus will have 'fun' with them, and then spit them out. At that point, they'll have both Renraku and their own patrons after them...

At which point, it'll be a struggle to survive.

To pull this off, they're getting 120 buildpoints, AND 1425 karma to allocate using BeCKS 2.0. Or, 1825 karma in BeCKS 2.0.

I know it sounds insane, but I think it'll be a fun change from the normal.

I've created a website with my <a href="http://www.atragon.ca/shadowrun">webspace</a> to chronicle the saga...

Any thoughts?
Last edited by Atragon on Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
_
Peace through superior firepower!
Thought for the day: Evolving long enough, your spam filter will become a construct emulating your own mind
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

There's some material that was left out of the old Renraku Arcology: Shutdown on the web. Might help.
Atragon
Wuffle Student

Post by Atragon »

Thanks for the heads up, good info.
_
Thought for the day: Evolving long enough, your spam filter will become a construct emulating your own mind
Atragon
Wuffle Student

Post by Atragon »

Well, it's 3 months later and char-gen is still ongoing...ah well, more time for me to come up with evil ideas... :cyber
_
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Did anyone actually survive that thing? We didn't make it past the 5th floor of the mall.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Reika »

Well, see the thing is, us players are a bunch of lazy slack-asses and haven't finished chargen. *sheepish*

Of the lot, Kai and Sin are the only ones who are either close to being done or are actually finished with their chars. I think the rest of the players are in the same state I'm in: drooling on themselves going "So many points"... ;)
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Heh, yes, so many points, tis why I went with my first gut reaction and then put it away before I had time to second-guess or think of other ideas to do ;)

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
sinsual
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by sinsual »

Samjyn is mostly done, I just need to clean up his sheet to make it readable and do a final write up on his back story.
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Are you throwing in a Choo Choo Bear?
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
JohnnyRico
Wuffle Student

Post by JohnnyRico »

You know what the horrible thing is? I've finished Thor's sheet, but I've still got plenty of points to play with still. Atragon, can I just slap whatever's left over into the karma drop point since I've used BeCKS to build my sniper?
"I have a conundrum for you. A riddle if you will. What's the difference between you, and malard with a cold? I don't remember how it ends, but your mothers a whore." -"Sean Connery" Celebrity Jeopardy- SNL
Reika

Post by Reika »

I'm trying to design a screwball meta from the ground up, and trying to decide if she's a physad, or physmage. :)
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

JohnnyRico wrote:You know what the horrible thing is? I've finished Thor's sheet, but I've still got plenty of points to play with still.
Karma Pool!

"I'm going to shoot the fly-sized robot from 1000 yards... TN 26? No problem! Re-roll... Re-roll... Re-roll..."
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
Atragon
Wuffle Student

Post by Atragon »

JohnnyRico wrote:You know what the horrible thing is? I've finished Thor's sheet, but I've still got plenty of points to play with still. Atragon, can I just slap whatever's left over into the karma drop point since I've used BeCKS to build my sniper?
Toss me the sheet and I'll take a look at it, give you a few pointers as to possible areas you could spend some more points. I do NOT want karma pool monsters.

Given the massive karma totals...I'm thinking probably cap karma pool at around 15-25, any thoughts?
_
sinsual

Post by sinsual »

Tossing a shout out up here just to bump up and remind those of us involved...Samjyn is mostly done. Just working out backstory and contacts info and manipulating...er I mean fixing a few stats...:D
www.evieshope.com
Atragon
Wuffle Student

Post by Atragon »

No problem, I'm working up plenty of evil ideas to spring on you guys ;)

As it stands, I'm hoping to kickoff sometime late this month/early next month, though I've got to figure out what my sched is going to look like. (Getting transfered to a different division)
_
Reika

Post by Reika »

I've got a solid char concept, and a rough draft of numbers. Haven't forgotten. :)
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

I'm almost back into an SR chargen mood. I've still got the character concept and large portions of backstory in mind. PS. Buying master units and central-control hubs sucks.
complete. dirty. whore.
IRC Fun:
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Still just need to finalize gear, figure out some appropriate contacts, and write it all up neatly.

sinsual

Post by sinsual »

gone...totally. All my notes, hand written work and WORD docs are gone for him. And since my books are not here I am not certain how soon I can even begin to rethink him.
www.evieshope.com
JohnnyRico
Wuffle Student

Post by JohnnyRico »

sinsual wrote:gone...totally. All my notes, hand written work and WORD docs are gone for him. And since my books are not here I am not certain how soon I can even begin to rethink him.
What happened?

(An update on my progress while I'm posting: I'm working on finishing up the contacts and the bio. Got the rest of the numbers evened out.)
"I have a conundrum for you. A riddle if you will. What's the difference between you, and malard with a cold? I don't remember how it ends, but your mothers a whore." -"Sean Connery" Celebrity Jeopardy- SNL
sinsual

Post by sinsual »

The motherboard got fried and when I went to put the harddrive into a new case, it turned out the HDD wouldn't work either. The disk backups are still in AZ but I am not sure if that file made it onto the backups.
www.evieshope.com
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Winter's done stat wise, needs somebackground work and resultant contacts, but that isn't much.

sinsual

Post by sinsual »

The rework will be finished this weekend. So this is just a bump diggity to get it back up to the top.
www.evieshope.com
Reika

Post by Reika »

All I need to do with Rachel is type up her bio. So almost there!
Reika

Post by Reika »

Go me! Rachel is done, email with attachement has been sent Atragon.
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Re: [SR]The Madhouse, a campaign...

Post by Moto42 »

Atragon wrote:Recently I decided to get back into GMing Shadowrun, and I wanted to do something really unusual.
<snip>
Any thoughts?
Spending almost a year in character generation is unusual enough for me.
Hello, I'm a signature VIRUS!
Copy me to your signature to help me grow.
Atragon
Wuffle Student

Post by Atragon »

As it stands, I have one 'done' character, a few revisions might be in the pipe.
One stated character but with no bio.
Promises of 2 other characters as being nearly the same (But I've seen neither sight no sound of them.
And one that is in limbo...

This may very well take a full year for char-gen.
_
Archimedes
Tasty Human

Post by Archimedes »

Ancient History wrote:There's some material that was left out of the old Renraku Arcology: Shutdown on the web. Might help.
Where?

(this is patience posting as archimedes because I am too lazy to log him out) :D
_
If you don't trust people,
people will not trust you.
-Lao Tzu
I am poison
Tasty Human

Post by I am poison »

Archimedes wrote:
Ancient History wrote:There's some material that was left out of the old Renraku Arcology: Shutdown on the web. Might help.
Where?
You can find some material on this page; near the bottom you will fin a link to the files (or directly here) in ZIP format.
_<font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Shedim Inside ®</hr>
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Used to be an Arcology Mapping project too. If you search this forum I linked it. Maybe I will find the thread later.
I am poison
Tasty Human

Post by I am poison »

Serious Paul wrote:Used to be an Arcology Mapping project too. If you search this forum I linked it. Maybe I will find the thread later.
I know of two such projects, though I can only link this one, which is the more recent of the two. It looks as though no progress has been made, though I think only a few dedicated people could manage the project to an impressive end.
Reika

Post by Reika »

The revision is in the mail! :D

*Prods her fellow players* C'mon people, let's get moving.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

I know I just need to write up the bio, I might get to it, but as the counter can attest, not very likely for another 2 weeks ish :) But hey, if everyone else gets everything else in and we're holding on me, I'll find time for it :)

JohnnyRico
Wuffle Student

Post by JohnnyRico »

Bio's sent. It sucks, and probably needs revisions, but it's sent. Once I get the bio completely done, I'll send the info that I got out of the NSRCG for Thor.
Reika

Post by Reika »

Kai wrote:I know I just need to write up the bio, I might get to it, but as the counter can attest, not very likely for another 2 weeks ish :) But hey, if everyone else gets everything else in and we're holding on me, I'll find time for it :)
No worries, you have more important things to contemplate, I'm talking about the slackers who haven't turned anything else in. ;)
JohnnyRico
Wuffle Student

Post by JohnnyRico »

Hey Boss, did you get my bio?
sinsual

Post by sinsual »

I have actually been working lately which explains my absence except in LJ...but this job is soon at an end so we will see what happens. I love cash jobs...
www.evieshope.com
Atragon
Wuffle Student

Post by Atragon »

Rico, got your bio a while ago and responded to it. Hope you haven't been idle this whole time.

Sin, no problem, any progress?

Ang, what's up man, I haven't heard JACK from you.
_
Atragon
Wuffle Student

Post by Atragon »

Edit: premature... Still working on it.

Current availability matrix is here: www.atragon.ca/shadowrun/info/availability.html
Last edited by Atragon on Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
_
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Over a a year for character creation and to sort out times? I think we may have a record. :)
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Atragon
Wuffle Student

Post by Atragon »

Actually, it's been over a year for chargen... it took about 30 minutes to sort out times. However, chargen is still ongoing.
_
Reika

Post by Reika »

FlakJacket wrote:Over a a year for character creation and to sort out times? I think we may have a record. :)
Yeah, this has been...interesting. I admit I was part of the initial holdup in that I couldn't settle on a char concept, but mine was done by...June I think. Don't remember, it's been quite awhile. Of the original players, Eclipse vanished off the map, Sin had RL shit come up, and Ang just wasn't inspired. Hopefully it won't take CaineHazen too long to get his char made. :)
Caine Hazen
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Caine Hazen »

Yeah yeah, I'm in and working onit...;-P I swear when I get light tomorrow I'll get some done!
I would be clever and witty here..but that uses brain cycles that are processing your demise....
Reika

Post by Reika »

Sorry, I'm antsy. :)
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

I got inspired.

--

Wendall was born to Arianna Holmes, a mid-level Ares Executive Assistant (Personal Secretary). Unmarried, she never talks about who the father is or might be, but his name, along with timing involved, has made many suspect that it might be Damnien Knight. Mr. Knight has never seen fit to make any claim, and has only taken seemingly passing interest in Wendall's career - at least up until he became a standout member of Firewatch - but we'll get to that later...

Growing up at Ares was, comparatively, the easy life. The best food, excellent health care, good education, and complete excercise facilities. Wendall trained hard to be another good Ares employee. MVP of his high school football team three years running and Captain as well for two of those years, Wendall started to excel in sports. However, he was also leader of Chess Club, Editor for the school newspaper, and lead in the play. He was in command and flexed every muscle, physical and mental, he had - and he wanted more.

After completing his high school studies he went to the best Ares campus. He didn't really settle on a field until he got caught up in a failed sabotage attempt. Some criminals had broken in and were trapped with hostages - including Wendall. Although he knew some combat techniques, he very quickly realized he was no match for the members of the group who were pinned down by Knight Errant. A Firewatch team finished the botched job very suddenly, and that made Wendall's choice - he wanted, more than anything, to be the guy who rescued others, not the one who needed rescuing.

He started working towards that end, taking courses in Criminal Justice, Psychology, Computer Science, Engineering, and Forensics. During this time he met Miss Reanna Mosley quite by accident - literally, as he caught her when she slipped down a set of stairs, then had to help her get home because he failed to catch her glasses - whom he married after graduation (with honors) but before attending graduate school.

In Grad School he focused his studies... but branched out considerably outside. He discovered an entire world outside of the Ares compounds, and one of the things he found was the Shadowlands BBS system, which he cracked into while doing some "research". His eyes a little more opened to the world at large, he didn't waver - he would be a hero, a guiding light, if any could be such in dark times. Completing his doctoral work, he was offered a job with Knight Errant helping with their research and experimental designs lab while he also trained for field duty.

Test subject and scientist, he had high-grade simsense units installed so the team could monitor every aspect of his output. To test his mental agility coupled with various enhancing drugs, he learned to manipulate various drones in order to complete a task while having multiple views but never being able to manipulate the drone directly. Additional components were installed during this time, many experimental and all specially crafted to his body and neural physiology.

Once he had finished his training, he became what was deemed a "secondary rigger" - although he never had a VCR installed, he took the burden of drone control off of the primary rigger so that person could jump into various drones as necessary. Doing his time in the poorer assignments which inevitably go to the newest members of a group, Wendal had his arm shot up badly when a group of 'Runners attacked his facility. Far from the usual excellent care of Ares, he had the choice of a cyberarm or no arm. He took the cyberarm.

Progressing rapidly through the ranks, he was sent for leadership training - however, partway through the course, he received word that his application for Firewatch had been approved. He completed the session, but instead of moving on to Knight Errant leader, he was transferred to Firewatch.

He served a few months as a normal - if anything about Firewatch can be considered normal - team member. His arm was damaged (again) and this time Firewatch had it replaced with a top of the line piece and at the same time they added additional tactical gear. The latter was put in because he had been promoted, again. Now in charge of his own group of experienced men, he learned more about what he needed to do as a leader than the training course could ever have covered thanks to their help.

Damien Knight was, of course, interested in him at this point, as he was interested in all of the members of Firewatch. However, Wendall seemed to have a little more pull than was warranted - perhaps his father, if Knight was his father, was helping to speed thinsg along. As the members of his squad cycled out by choice or by injury, Wendall put together his own team, picking and choosing the best he could find, the people he wanted. He also got to select his own gear, and had his pick of missions. So when the call came in that somethign was going down at the Renraku Arc and Firewatch was going in, he wanted to be there...

--

Remainder of sheet will be done soon (really!). And I may elaborate or alter the backstory if such is needed.
complete. dirty. whore.
IRC Fun:
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

Szech pointed out the twinkiness of the story (the character sheet is clearly much worse, but that is intentional on the part of the GM) and I thought I should point somethign out - Damien Knight is not, in fact, Wendall's father. Or shouldn't be (it's ultimately the GM's call, I suppose). More of the mother choosing to fail to quash rumours artfully, and choosing a name to suggest it. Crazy single mothers. ;)
complete. dirty. whore.
IRC Fun:
Atragon
Wuffle Student

Post by Atragon »

Ok, when it's ready, kick it to me at gmail.com, we're scheduling sessions for 4pm Sunday at the moment.
_
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Er, 4pm? Isn't that, well, several hours too early or is this gonna be an afternoon thing? There's no way I can do 4pm-10pm if that's what you were thinking.

Atragon
Wuffle Student

Post by Atragon »

Ah hell... :(
_
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

I just don't have 6 hours in one day for a game :) I can do 4-7 or 7-10 but that's about it.