[D&D] What books would you recommend?

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

[D&D] What books would you recommend?

Post by MooCow »

So Amazon is having a sale on D&D stuff. Looks to be about 30% price reduction across the board + free shipping. I'm thinking I might pick up a bunch of books, since I'm getting back into the game.

So what D&D books would you recommend? Which ones would you avoid? Why? What was good/bad about it?

I have Players Handbook, DMG, Monstrous Manual, Forgotten Realms Main, Faiths and Pantheons.

Thanks for the reviews.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
paladin2019
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by paladin2019 »

The 5 class books (Sword & Fist, Song & Silence, etc), possibly Monster Manual 2 and Fiend Folio. The latter two include 3.5 type stats.

The class books are good for ideas on organizations (just remember that they are all Greyhawk specific so they may need adaptation).

Of less utility are Book of Vile Darkness, Deities & Demigods, Epic Level Handbook and Psionics Handbook. These are all special use books; if you think you might want to use them, buy 'em. They are all well-done books, but not as useful to every player.

Oh, and if you don't have a DM Screen, get one. It doesn't matter whether you DM or not, having all the charts in one place is nice. IMO, this goes for all games.
-call me Andy, dammit
CykoSpin
Wuffle Master

Post by CykoSpin »

Being of the opinion that all WotC products are absolute crap, but that there really isn't anything better in the medieval-fantasy genre, I highly recommend stealing all the D&D books you could possibly need (physically or electronically, at your discretion). The only D&D books really worth forking over hard-earned cash for are the Ravenloft books (if you're into horror-themed RPing, which I've discovered that most D&D players apparently aren't).
_SURPRISE! I don't like you!
Patience
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Patience »

The Manual of the Planes is semi-useful.

However, if you can get any sort of 2nd ed Planescape stuff, do it. It's a better setting by far.
_
<b>Thorn said:</b> Patience really does rock!!
<b>CykoSpin said:</b> Every time I see Patience (that is, a post by Patience), I think of the Iron Maiden song "Can I Play With Madness". I don't really know why, though; for whatever reason, I just do.
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Reika »

Even if it's not an FR campaign, get Magic of Faerun, lots of spells, feats, alternative use of skills, prestige classes, and just cool magic stuff (like how to run a mage duel, information on mage fairs, etc.).

Savage Species is good if a) you want monstrous characters, even as NPCs, b)coming up with varient critters.

Arms and Equipment Guide isn't bad, not terrific, but it has some interesting things.

The class books are okay, but I'd suggest getting 3.5 PHB and DMG, from what I understand they have pretty much all of the stuff that was in the splatbooks combined with the core books for 3.5.

(And once again I realized just how many 3e books I've gotten.)
Adam

Post by Adam »

From what little I have seen of it, the 3.5PHB is organized in a much more logical way than 3.0 - w00t!
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

I liked the Psion handbook m'self.

For second edition, go for the really cool and harder to find 2nd edition FR stuff, like "Volo's Guide to All things magical" and "Secrets of the Magister."

By far however, I suggest you track down the Dragon Magazine Archive, which has the first 250 issues in pdf files...with a search fucntion!
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Adam wrote:From what little I have seen of it, the 3.5PHB is organized in a much more logical way than 3.0 - w00t!
And after I spent all that damn time knowing where stuff is in the 3.0 books.

DM:: "Ok, and experience for the session..." *grabs the DMG and starts flipping though pages*
The players:: "Page 166!"
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Damnit, at some point, I have to buy the stupid things and rememorize the rules.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Ikarus7
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Ikarus7 »

Being of the opinion that all WotC products are absolute crap, but that there really isn't anything better in the medieval-fantasy genre, I highly recommend stealing all the D&D books you could possibly need (physically or electronically, at your discretion). The only D&D books really worth forking over hard-earned cash for are the Ravenloft books (if you're into horror-themed RPing, which I've discovered that most D&D players apparently aren't).
I sooo agree to that.
<hr>The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

I sooo agree to that.
Which makes you sooooo useless to this thread.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

I like botht he Warhammer RPG and old Stormbringer/Elric! RPG's, but nobody played either:(
Adam

Post by Adam »

CykoSpin wrote:Being of the opinion that all WotC products are absolute crap, but that there really isn't anything better in the medieval-fantasy genre
Which makes them the best . . . ;-)
CykoSpin
Wuffle Master

Post by CykoSpin »

Yep, the very best medieval-fantasy refuse there is.
_SURPRISE! I don't like you!