[SR3] Build/Repair Skills: Theory or practice?

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

[SR3] Build/Repair Skills: Theory or practice?

Post by ak404 »

Here's a question I'm sure must've been asked before: Can a character have a higher B/R skill than the actual corresponding skill, and if so, why? For example, can a character have a higher Electronics B/R skill than Electronics?
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

Sure. Consider: does knowing how to use a computer automatically allow one to build or fix one? Yes, you can puzzle out the wiring to your house, but could you install it properly, or fix your CD player?
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Perhaps, AH, but this is the question in reverse. :lol
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Ok, try it this way. I can build a high end computer from a calculator, gum, tin foil, and a phone. However, does this allow me to program with the same degree of skill?

As to why...the rules say so. :D
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Ancient History
Demon

Let's get clear:

Computer active skill allows you to operate and program computers and cyberdecks.

Computers (B/R) active skill allows you to build and fix computers and cyberdecks.

Computer Background knowledge skill allows you to design computers and cyberdecks, as well as give a general idea of why they work.

And so on and so forth.
Sock_Monkey
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Sock_Monkey »

Just because you can fix a car doesn't mean you know how to drive it. The same applies elsewhere, though usually a B/R skill goes hand in hand with the cooresponding active skill because a person has interest in one because of the other.
I feel like I'm Han Solo, LDH is Chewbacca, Kitt is Obi Wan Kenobi and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

The classic example is the SR2 skill Magical Theory. In SR3 you can take it as a background skill or a B/R in the sense of talismongering, but if you can't use magic, you can't use magic.
_
"Are you alright?"
"I'm a little fucked up in general so its hard to tell."
Ancient History
Demon

Magic's halfway nuts these days. I mean, between Conjuring Background, Magic Background, Sorcery background, Spell Design, Talismongering and any other number of Knowledge Skills, there's still strange little twists in the rules. Like Aura reading, f'r'instance.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Point taken guys. Thanks. I think I was confusing the B/R skill + using a Background skill with just the B/R skill on its own. For example, a decker building a cyberdeck knows exactly why he's making the tweaks and mods he wants (using his Computer and/or Electronics Skill as a background skill), whereas a factory worker might be able to build an Excalibur with her eyes closed, though this doesn't ensure that she'll be an excellent decker.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

That's axtually a very good example of knowing how but not neccessarily why other than the manual/boss said so :)
_
"Are you alright?"
"I'm a little fucked up in general so its hard to tell."
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

A great example in fact.

Ancient History I am failing to see what you don't like in the magic system. Could you elaborate? I am just curious.
Ancient History
Demon

Oh, I'm just bitching a little about the breakup of Magic Theory and complimentary skills.

I mean, theoretically, if you wanted to design a spell, you could use your Spell Design skill, with any number of complimentary knowledge skills, or possibly default back to Sorcery. Same damn thing with foci design: start with Talismongering and see how many complimnnetary skills you can add, or just default to a really high Enchanting skill.

Me? I though Magic Theory covered it all well enough...

That, and I still wish mundanes could have the ability to learn Conjuring(Free Spirits) and Sorcery(Astral COmbat), like you used to and still can with Aura Reading. Bitchy little me.
Toon
Bulldrek Junkie
Location: Stuck to the grate right outside the sewage treatment plant.

Post by Toon »

As a GM, I'd tend to rule that the player would be able to use 1 and only 1 Complementary Skill Test for any given Skill Test. And it reads that way as well. On page 43 of the BABY, and probably subsequent editions as well, it says specifically, "... allows a second skill to enhance a test made with another skill." Not a second, third, fourth, etc. Just a second.
_There are some who say that Time is itself a hammer: that each slow second marks another tap that makes big rocks into little rocks, waterfalls into canyons, cliffs into beaches.
There are some who say that Time is instead a blade. They see the dance of its razored tip, poised like a venomous snake, forever ready to slay faster than the eye can see.
And there are some who say that Time is both hammer and blade.
They say the hammer is a sculptor's mallet, and the blade is a sculptor's chisel: that each stroke is a refinement, a perfecting, a discovery of truth and beauty within what would otherwise be blank and lifeless stone.
And I name this saying wisdom.
CykoSpin
Wuffle Master

Re: [SR3] Build/Repair Skills: Theory or practice?

Post by CykoSpin »

Actually, something ak404 originally said makes a lot of sense:
ak404 wrote:... can a character have a higher Electronics B/R skill than Electronics?
I understand the separation of B/R from all other skills except electronics. Ever since I've taken electronics classes, I have found it difficult to see how you can have knowledge of one without the other.
_SURPRISE! I don't like you!