[SR3] Cyberdogs. So did I get the most out of them yet?

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

[SR3] Cyberdogs. So did I get the most out of them yet?

Post by ak404 »

I scrawled this in the DSF (hey, now I know what it means!)
AK404 once wrote:And if all else fails, make cyberdoggies. For role-playing effect, the guards toss some grenades loaded with something that attracts dogs (say, a pheremone that makes a dog irrationally vicious, or just something that smells like food) and clear the hell out of the area while the sec rigger opens up rooms and locks the sec guards behind the doors so they can hide, then tries to lock the runners within the complex. The guards'll run and hide because they know what's coming, and it's a fair bet your players don't.

Then say "woof woof." Roll a six-sided die. Multiply that result by how many players are on the team. That's how many dogs you have.

Everyone who's ever GMd has probably thought about using them once or twice. your players may enjoy being psycho, but nothing out-psychos a rabid dog with zero Essence on Kamikaze.

Think of the biggest meanest most psycho doberman you can possibly piss your pants looking at. Slap a plastic radio-controlled collar on his neck with a pair of auto-injectors: kamikaze and neurostun X or laes: make sure one's kamikaze and the other'll knock the dog out because someone'll have the retreive them. Then give that fucker a set of cybereyes with low light, thermo, flare comp, the works. Pack a set of alpha-grade Wired Reflexes in him. If you want to be nice, use level 1. If you want to be mean, level 2. Dikote the teeth, lace the bones with plastic or kevlar. If you're using Wired 1, enhanced that nose a little. Then pack on the bioware: enhanced articulation, a chemical gland set to cost the teeth with something nasty like MAO or Hyper (make sure they've got bioware that makes the mutts resistant to it). Dikoted teeth'll get through whatever they're wearing, so the drug'll hit 'em right off the bat. If they've got anything left, either keep it clear or pack on an adrenal pump or trauma dampener.

I've pulled this trick a couple of times in SR2, I don't know how well it'll work in SR3 with the way cyber and bio interact (didn't check the sheets), but just because I'm a nice guy, I'll tell you what else to add. Cortex bomb. Set to go off on a radio command. Bite, chew, inject with hyper, it hurts, it hurts, get it off, get it off, ohmyfuckingod, it's eating my arm, boom.

Hell, compared to the guard, the dog's an investment, but who cares? Every group I've ever ran with who went on a series of kill-happy sprees, I gave the GM the sheets for the dogs. Any group who runs into them once never wants to run into them again.

Woof, woof!
AK404 also wrote:OK, here goes. Use a large dog as a template, but up the stats a bit, say body and strength up to 5, quickness up to 6, intelligence and willpower stay the same. you should find this info in your GM screen insert (critters).

Cyberdoggie cyberware and bioware:

Cortex Bomb [area], Cybereyes [low-light, thermographic, flare compensation], Auto Injector [neuro-stun x], Auto Injector [kamikaze], Wired Reflexes-2, Plastic Bone Lacing, Replacement Fangs [dikoted]

Essense Loss: 4

Chemical Gland [recommend hyper], Enhanced Articulation, Trauma Dampener

Essense Index: 1.6 (and there seems to be room for more)

It balances out. Just barely, but it balances out. Hell, you could probably use boosted reflexes and synaptic accelerators instead of just wires, but that might be overdoing it...still, that would be amusing to see once the mutt's been injected with Kamikaze...

Remember, strategy and brains first, brute force last.

I wonder if this helps me with that Evil GM thing.
What do you think folks? Would it work?
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

or you could just use the slamhounds from Count Zero...
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Szechuan
No-Life Loser

Post by Szechuan »

Or perhaps a Rat-Thing?

Edit: When I first read the line "Jack the sound barrier. Bring the noise." in a .sig in dumpshock, I thought the rat-thing it referred to was one of the rat creatures in the 'Bone' comics.. :p
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Ak- you're scaring me.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

I think I can make 'em worse, but I'm trying to do it cheaply... :D

Know what'd suck if you were feeling sadistic? A pack of devil rats with cortex bombs that would detonate when you cut off a radio transmission from a lightly armored drone firing a minigun. Geek the drone and BOOM!
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Or get really bad ass and use genetic engineering to mutate moths into fantatical stinging machines that go insane when they detect a certain syrupy pheremone.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

I dunno. Just got finished watching Boondock Saints and thought exploding devil rats would be amusing.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Ack! Bad ak!
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

What? What'd I do? Is it too evil or is it just stupid min-maxing?
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

ak404 wrote:I dunno. Just got finished watching Boondock Saints and thought exploding devil rats would be amusing.
Go read Schismatrix, then get with the moths.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

After watching City of Lost Souls again, what I really want is a ping pong table. :D
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Jesus, it been a while since I read the rules but yeah the guards should hide. IIRC, with that much cyber and bio enhancement they should have their intelligence bottomed out and be rabid killing machines ripping arms of anything within range.

Edit: And if you're adding in remote auti-injectors, add one with a really strong sedative in it for when you want doggie turned off.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

FlakJacket wrote:Jesus, it been a while since I read the rules but yeah the guards should hide. IIRC, with that much cyber and bio enhancement they should have their intelligence bottomed out and be rabid killing machines ripping arms of anything within range.

Edit: And if you're adding in remote auti-injectors, add one with a really strong sedative in it for when you want doggie turned off.
Already did. Two of 'em: one with kamikaze, the other with laes (was thinking neurostun, but laes works faster).
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Damn. Missed that bit. May have to dig out Critters and see what you can do with this. :D
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Well, I was thinking Boosted Relfexes + Synaptic Accelerators, grafted horns, climbing claws, mounting a frickin' laser on their heads, that sort of thing...
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Or get really bad ass and use genetic engineering to mutate moths into fantatical stinging machines that go insane when they detect a certain syrupy pheremone.
I'd just like to say that I read that as fanatical singing machines, and thought that sounded so cool. I was disapointed when I realized it said "Stinging".
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

As a thought, if you're going to release them in closed areas without any of your own team about and no need to worry about the little bastards going gonzo on you, why just use dogs? Barghests, Cockatrices or Hell Hounds and the varied like have the same amount of essence to spend and extra powers to throw into the mix as well.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

Because you're already paying a shitload for cyber, and don't need to pay for exotic animals as well?
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Yeah but if your going to introduce psycho enahnced animals from hell into the game to firghten the PC's, I figure you might as well not do things by half. :) And besides, that cyberware must easily cost 30-40k so a little extra shouldn't be too out of line.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

Not bad. But howabout:

Essence Loss:0.65
Cyberware:RAS Override, Radio RecevierAutoinjector (ACTH), Autoinjector(Mao)

Essence Index:8.35

Bio Index:8.1

Bioware:
Adrenal Pump (2) [+2 QUickness, +4 strength, +2 Willpower and +4 reaction for 2d6 rounds)
Enhanced Articulation [+1 reaction]
Orthoskin (3) [+2 Impact/+1 ballistic]
Pain Editor
Suprathyroid Gland [+1 to all physical attributes and reaction]
Synaptic Accelerator (2) [+2d6 initiative]
Thermosense Organs

Now then, when the doggies sniff something or theguards sense something (maybe the security rigger), they use the radio to hit the dogs iwth ACTH, activating the adrenal glands and turnign them into wee nasty buggers stronger than your average troll and immune to pain, with enough willpower to resist most spells. When all is done, the radio hits again, the doggies are hit with mao and the RAS override goes on. Doggies should be completely out of it, easy for pick-up.

The orthoskin give's em the ability to shrug off small arms fire and unarmed blows, the thermosense let's em get by invisibility and silence spells.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Hm. Why the RAS Override? Call me stupid, I don't see the reasoning behind that.

And yeah, I forgot how high Essence Indexes could go. Wicked.

I dunno, mix and match! Hell, keep those runners on their toes! :D
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

RAS Override gives +8 modifiers to all their actions when activated. So they don't kill and eat the handlers. Kind of neural shut-off.
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

When I think of exploding rats, I am reminded of a scene in the game "Full Throttle" involving a mine field, a box of wind-up bunnies and Wagner's "Flight of the Valkyries". :D

As for making them better -- less cyber, more doggies, external armor. Area-Effect Cortex Bomb is about the only cyber you need. "Woof woof" *ping* bullet deflected by armor, *splat-boom* you killed one, *bite, bite, bite, boom, boom, boom* the rest got through your 8 actions per round and exploded on contact...

And, designed properly, the armor only needs minor repairs to be fitted onto the next dog, and they can be trained to bite at a specific height so when they explode it doesn't even damage the floors all that badly. ;)

If you're going for a permanent system, then the exotics are worth the extra small initial investment, since they should, in theory, last longer and be more effective.
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Now I'm trying to think of other exotic kills people have used in the various cyberpunk books.
Silent Sniper
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Silent Sniper »

Three words:

Cyber Mutant Bear
_
The Duke of Slack
Wielder of the Axe of Mass Destruction
Keeper of the Food Loaf

Quote of the random period of time:
Beware, naughty children, for the bells herald Santa's dark harvest of souls...
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Ah yes, how could I forget Animal Lover by Donaldson...

That book's got scary animal killers in it. Granted the cyborg's got an energy weapon.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

SS:: Nah...they die too easily, esp in Caz's games. *runs and hides*
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

There is an evil about you Cash.

Well actually, I think you're about 75% evil, 25% tiny.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

I think the worst thing I ever put in a game was a mutated Kodiak that the players were smart to avoid.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Here's evil. Wired reflexes-3 on hamsters conditioned to go for the eyes and/or genitals. With cortex bombs. :D

I mean, yeah, those bombs are gonna be really small because they're hamsters (maybe even the cute little golden hamsters), but even a half-pint-sized bomb to the gonads is gonna knock the biggest troll down.

"Go for the eyes, my minions, go for the eyes! AUGH!" So sayeth the crazed security rigger over the loudspeakers.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Cazmonster wrote:There is an evil about you Cash.

Well actually, I think you're about 75% evil, 25% tiny.

*flexes*

I'm just making up for Adam and I feelling really bad about killing your mutant bear. :D
</font>
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Don't feel bad, it was just a surprise that the bear didn't take a hunk out of any of you.
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

AFMBE.
Glyph
Tasty Human

Post by Glyph »

Not bad on the cyber-doggies. You just need to add digestive expansion bioware so they won't get a tummy ache when they chew up the heavily-cybered runners. :D
_
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

This is something I came up with way back when I was playing with cybered rabid-hounds. Enjoy.

I ussualy had it installed along with a high-grade "Happy Happy Puppy" Personafix via the cluster option. Say the emergency-command and Foamy goes catatonic.

User Detainment Program
Ussualy programmed into a dedicated chipjack, the UDP is a specialized BTL program that activates the RAS Overide, and feeds the subject "null" information on all sensory channels. Effectly the subject is paralized (+8 to all actions due to RAS Overide), and in total sensory deprivation.
If installed in a dedicated jack, the program's RAS Overide can be enchanced to truely paralize the subject, and it can be radio-activated.
Hello, I'm a signature VIRUS!
Copy me to your signature to help me grow.