Misc. Games

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
Ancient History
Demon

Misc. Games

Post by Ancient History »

What odd, out-there, non-mainstream games do you enjoy, or have encountered and thought were noteworthy? FOr the edification and education of your fellow gamer.

The following are forbidden, in all editions(this includes Minds Eye Theaters, Dark Ages and 40K supplements):

[Dungeons and Dragons, Vampire: The Masquerade, Werewolf: the APocalypse, Call of Cthulu, Shadowrun, Wraith: the Oblivion, Mage: the Acsenscion, Warhammer, GURPS, Traveler, Star Trek, Star Wars, Magic: the Gathering, and...oh, Hell, why not...Battletech]
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Well, there's Cyberpunk. Which always had a cool, sort of transcendant home in my heart. Sure, Shadowrun is far better put together, but somehow John Silverhand, Morgan Blackhand and Alt Cunningham will always have adventures ahead of them.

Teenagers From Outer Space is the game I have to grant with the origin to my frenetic GM style. There's nothing better than a dozen tricked out teens trying to catch a smoke break and having to battle their way through the anime equivalent of the Maginot line to do so.

All Flesh Must Be Eaten is bad ass, end of story.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Ancient History
Demon

I enjoy the Warhammer RPG.

And the old gaming books, Fighting Fantasy and Lone Wolf.

Also, the incredibly bomb-tacular Nexus: the Living City.

Also, Hackmaster. Better than the original!
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

[glow]Paranoia[/glow] is always a fun romp of backstabbery and beuracracy. (Went through nine clones in a mission that the GM had planned to not include any combat.) The system used (nicknamed ParanoiaM) when I GM it is much simplified.

[mb]Extreme Vengence[/mb] is an interesting game of Action Movie Logic. It puts less strain on the GM than many other RPG's do.

GhostBusters 2nd eddition: I like to run one-shots of this, everybody knows the setting and the backstory. (Everything I run tends to be one-shot though)

The absolute worse game I ever played was Eat the Stick.
Ancient History
Demon

Indiana Jones deserves mention...I have mixed feelings about this, considering they switched systems 'bout half-way through.

Also, Battlefleet Gothic fun but expensive and time-consuming. Ah dinnae think it caught on much on this side of the Pond.
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

right now I'm working my way through Exalted -[mb]The Abyssal[/mb] and it seems pretty fucking cool right now. at least unless I need the main Exalted sourcebook that is. so far it looks like all I need is the character creation section in the main book.
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Exalted is /well/ tasty - I'm hard pressed to decide whether I prefer the vanilla solar Exalted game, or Dragon-Blooded. I also like the look of - although haven't played - Mummy, and of course I have to pimp Demon here, which I have played, and which I love.

On the haven't-played-but-next-up list, Silver Age Sentinels and Children of the Sun.
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

Dust Devils

Goddamn I wish I could convince my group to run this.
Ancient History
Demon

I still think Mutants and Masterminds is an awesome super-hero system, and wish I could get a group together for it.
Chuckles
Tasty Human

Post by Chuckles »

HoL. And the supplement, Buttery HolSomeness. Bring on the Pain.

No one ever seems to want to play. But dammit, I'm brining the books to Gencon.

I can see it now-The Sodomy Bikers are searching for the Sacred Wand of 6 Speed Vibration. And your characters, unknowingly, posses it. Throw in the ChurchnMunch Parkinglot, and hilarity ensues.

Elvis is a player character. His stats are in the main book.

Deadlands (not the D20 Crap) fucking rules as well.

Post by Cazmonster »

Between HoL and All Flesh, we're shaping up to have a lot of creepy stuff at Gencon.

Oh, and when it comes to hero games... DC Heroes by Mayfair was the damn F Bomb.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Ancient History
Demon

Tunnels and Trolls Pretty bad, but when ye dinnae hae a group, and got the Jones to play somethin'...

Crucible Another flop, this one by dear, departed FASA. Think DnD chainmail for the core concept, though they kept confusing people with hints that it might be the long-lost bastard child of Earthdawn and Shadowrun.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I tried to read Demon tonight. The typography made my head hurt. I couldn't stop going "Boy, I would have done /this/ differently."

sigh :)
Psykoguy
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Psykoguy »

It's all about Deadlands and Deadlands Hell on Earth

and of course BESM, every time i play, it always ends up in a high school and ALWAYS redefined collateral damage
------------------------------
Highlander was a documentry, and it was filmed in real time!
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Adam wrote:I tried to read Demon tonight. The typography made my head hurt. I couldn't stop going "Boy, I would have done /this/ differently."
Yeah, the layout feels like cleaning out your eye sockets with barbed wire sometimes.
__
The Wolfen
Wuffle Master

Post by The Wolfen »

I loved Cyberpunk, both the Interlock and 2020 versions.

Stalking the night fantastic was pretty cool, but it shared similar horrendous gameplay problems to games like The Morrow project, combat was a nightmare if there were more than a few players or automatic weaponry in use. :(

Paranoia is my favorite 'sod it, let's play' game, but a lot of people I gamed with didn't like playing it due to it's silliness. (pseudo-intellectual hardcore roleplayers can suck.)

Tales from the floating vagabond was fun a couple of times, but relies too much on in-jokes IMHO.
Wolfen.

'My advantageous mongoose masturbates with abandon over your mother's skeleton!' - Lazarus Churchyard.

"Cazmonster takes a moment out of sniping evil pengooins in the head to ponder the coolness of Wolfen on fire." - Caz
"Doesn't that hurt though? I mean I don't like it when people bite my arm pits" - LDH
Lord Death Hand
No-Life Loser

Post by Lord Death Hand »

Alternity is/was pretty fun and I've been trying to come up with a decent campaign for Engel. That game really seems like it could be sweet.
I am the evil monkey what lives in your nuts.

Lick my butt and suck my balls, America FUCK YEAH!
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

There's this game, God's Dice. Hasn't really been made yet, but it's really cool.
Ikarus7
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Ikarus7 »

I like paranoia, but I don't get to play often.

There is alos pendragon, when you tired of killing goblins in D&D

Legend of the five rings, because samurais are cool

Heavy Gear, because mechwarrior game from canada are so much better :)

I still have my Rift sourcebooks somewhere but I haven't used tehm for more than a year.

I have an AEON (not trinity) book somewher that of mine gave to me but I never had time to use it.

There also is Histoire de fou but I don't think this one as been translated to english. You basically play a mad dreamer, and the point of each game is to get out a mad dream.

And finally the original french (not gurps) edition of magna veritas
<hr>The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Dark Conspiracy holds a place on my shelf. Outdated now, but a lot of fun about 10 years ago :)

Alternity, both for the system and the entire setting that got developed in my head for it.

BESM and HKAT just because its fun

Steam & Sorcery because its rocks so hard it hurts :)
_
"Are you alright?"
"I'm a little fucked up in general so its hard to tell."
CykoSpin
Wuffle Master

Post by CykoSpin »

Jestyr wrote:I also like the look of - although haven't played - Mummy,...
Major concurment here; never played Mummy, but I've both perused the rulebook and read the novels and "fucking sweet" is the only thing that comes to mind. Almost makes me wish I hadn't sworn off White Wolf games.
Lord Death Hand wrote:Alternity is/was pretty fun ...
Hell. Fucking. Yes. It's probably not the absolute best game I've ever played, but many of my fondest RPing memories are from playing Alternity. As far as I'm concerned, nothing WotC has ever made (including D&D), and probably ever will make, holds a candle to this game.
Last edited by CykoSpin on Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_SURPRISE! I don't like you!
Ancient History
Demon

The new Mummy game has the best parts of the first two editions and meshes well with teh WW universe as a whole, in my opinion. 'Course, there's always one guy that wants to be part of the mortal Cannibal cult...
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Sorcerer looks interesting from what I've read of it.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Ancient History
Demon

I miss the ol' CCGs like Netrunner.
Adam

Post by Adam »

FlakJacket wrote:Sorcerer looks interesting from what I've read of it.
Word. Want to play Sorcerer.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

we're shaping up to have a lot of creepy stuff at Gencon.
Dude.... It's GenCon. Just the people creep me out, I don't need the games creeping me out too. :D
What odd, out-there, non-mainstream games do you enjoy, or have encountered and thought were noteworthy? FOr the edification and education of your fellow gamer.
Bunnies and Burrows. Fuzzy Heros. Since Bull hasn't mentioned it, Cartoon Action Hour.

Games I'd like to try....

Hunter: The Reckoning is a game I'd like to try, but haven't had a chance. Trinity I'd like to play, though I've run the game.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Hunter is fun to read, but I don't think I'd want to play it. Uber-depressing.

And yeah, Trinity and/or Aberrant would be fun. I own Trinity, have never even seen Aberrant, and would love to play one or the other, one day.
__
Ancient History
Demon

War games aren't my usual shtick, but my heart goes out to my copy of Campaign for North Africa.

They say it takes as long to play as the actual campaign. You have to give the Itlaian units extra water for spaghetti!
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

I've heard very very good things about Little Fears, though I've never actually played it.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

I bought a copy of it at GenCon last year, and I really should open it at some point... :)
__
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

I am intriged by this Campaign for North Africa tell me more. Please/
Hello, I'm a signature VIRUS!
Copy me to your signature to help me grow.
Ancient History
Demon

They stopped ,aking it in the 70's. It's rumored to be the most intricate wargame ever devised. Prices range from $220-$350 US ( got mine for $250 plus S&H. It's unpunched, and going to my Dad for Christmas). Made by SSI.

Now, there is one contemporary game company which deserves mention:
The Evil Polish Brothers.

That's the true name of the company. You have to sign checks to the payment of "The Evil Polish Brothers." It's a company run by four Polish Brothers in Chicago or Milwaukee or someplace like that.

They have several good games, but I enjoy "J.U.M.P. Into the Unknown."

J.U.M.P. stands for "Justified Use of Military Power"