[D&D] Genasi vs. Half-Elementals

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

[D&D] Genasi vs. Half-Elementals

Post by MooCow »

I was flipping through the Manual of The Planes, and I came across the Half-Elemental template. Now I assumed when I saw the name that they would be similar to Genasi. Stupid me....

All Genasi take a -2 to charisma. However, 3 of the 4 Elementals get a +2 to their charisma. Does anyone else think this seems a bit odd? If not, can you help me understand why it is?
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

Genasi only have a bit of elemental in them and are all snooty-patooty about it. Half-elementals are much more sociable. ;)
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
Jackal
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Jackal »

Genasi are the union of humans and an elemental creature such as a Genie. While the difference is subtle it’s there. I guess it’s similar to the different between a Fiendish creature and a Tiefling or an Aasimar and a Celestial critter. It’s just a variation. A good example I guess would be between a Gold Elf and a Drow Elf. They are both elves but are considerably different.
_
“Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.”
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

Actually, Genasi are at least 2 and likely several generations removed from the elementals (hence plane-touched rather than half-planar). Half-Elementals are the immediate off-spring. If the half-elemental then has kids with another of the base-creature, you'll end up with Genasi (probably). The half-elemental's great-great-great-great-great-grandkid might also be Genasi. I'd say the trait could stay viable for at least 20 generations, though in the last 10 or so it might be recessive with only an occasional genasi rather than the entire family. Mixing similar Genasi lines would also cause it to appear.

Same applies to Aasimar and Tiefling.
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
Silent Sniper
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Silent Sniper »

I don't know if they changed the background in 3rd ed, but according to my old Planescape stuff, genasi/tieflings/aasimar/etc. are half human(oid) and half something else.
_
The Duke of Slack
Wielder of the Axe of Mass Destruction
Keeper of the Food Loaf

Quote of the random period of time:
Beware, naughty children, for the bells herald Santa's dark harvest of souls...
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Your on the dated side Snipe.

In this case, the Half Celestials and Half Fiends are, quite obviously, half outsider.

Tieflings, Aasimiars, and the others have outsider 'genes' somewhere in their makeup.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Jackal
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Jackal »

I took the info I posted out of Monsters of Faerun. That's pretty much what it says about them. There might be more info in Race of Faerun but it won't be out till around March.
_
“Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.”
The Traveler
Wuffle Trainer

Post by The Traveler »

Silent Sniper wrote:I don't know if they changed the background in 3rd ed, but according to my old Planescape stuff, genasi/tieflings/aasimar/etc. are half human(oid) and half something else.
Er, you've misread. Alu-Fiends and Cambions are half fiends. Tieflings are just planetouched, with only a little fiendish blood.
Silent Sniper
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Silent Sniper »

Planewalkers Handbook, p78
Obviously human and "something else" crossbreeds, the "something else" in the tieflings' case is usually assumed to be lower-planar.
Maybe my understanding of genetics is wrong, but I thought that crossbreed meant half one thing and half another. This might be outdated by the new stuff, anyway.
_
The Duke of Slack
Wielder of the Axe of Mass Destruction
Keeper of the Food Loaf

Quote of the random period of time:
Beware, naughty children, for the bells herald Santa's dark harvest of souls...
The Traveler
Wuffle Trainer

Post by The Traveler »

Tieflings are mongrels. Remember, they have that whole chart for generating characteristics that aren't necessarily from any one species of fiend. The Planescape Monstrous Compendium is fairly clear on this. It's like the difference between being half Asian and being a quarter Asian. Genasi are likewise "planetouched", having genie ancestors.

If you go all the way to 3E, you have the difference between ECL 1 or ECL 2 templates and much higher ECL templates.