Stuffer Shack exterritorial?

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
Toryu
Wuffle Initiate

Stuffer Shack exterritorial?

Post by Toryu »

A discussion on Stuffer Shack on irc today got me thinking.

Stuffer Shack, one of the biggest supermarket chains in North America, is a subsidiary of Aztechnology.

Would that make Stuffer Shack stores exterritorial? All of them? Just some, under certain conditions?

My players crossed the Big A twice already, and it might be nice to hassle them a bit when they're buying groceries. :)

Ghe ghe ghe.
"What is it about blogs, forums and LiveJournal that just invite stupid fights, Davan? Is acting like an ass a clause in the user agreement?"
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

I doubt that even Aztechnology could make every ten square meter stuffer shack extranational territory. They can't spend that kind of money on the managers and such. Joe Bagboy is not an international ambassador. Lisa the Checker doesn't know much more than how to run a scanner.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

I thought that extrateritoriality included ALL of the corp's real-estate, if so, it would just create a little extra paperwork on the tax forms. At least that's how I would BS it.

If it became an issue of international laws then just pull something out of your ***. Confusing the players with complex terms that don't mean anything will lend crudability (not a typo) to your beurocracy.

Having a little piece of foreign nation on every other block of Seatle must be a good thing for the azzies too. Which brings to mind a few obsurd runs. And makes robing them an international incident.

------
M.O.T.O.42
Bag Boy Bob has class c-24G tax exemption for non-resident migrant workers.
Manager Manalow has section c-34L tax exemption for non-resident duel citizenship class-7 ambasadors.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

No. For a corp's land to be extraterritorial, it has to be clearly marked as belonging to that corp - not just a subsidiary.

So, if Stuffer Shacks had "You are now entering Aztechnology" signs plastered all over them, sure, they'd be extraterritorial. Otherwise, no.
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
CykoSpin
Wuffle Master

Post by CykoSpin »

Wow, I never actually knew that Stuffer Shack was owned by the Azzies. Learning something new (almost) every day...
_SURPRISE! I don't like you!
Toryu
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Toryu »

Jestyr wrote:No. For a corp's land to be extraterritorial, it has to be clearly marked as belonging to that corp - not just a subsidiary.

So, if Stuffer Shacks had "You are now entering Aztechnology" signs plastered all over them, sure, they'd be extraterritorial. Otherwise, no.

I agree, but this would actually leads to the next question.

Here's a reference:
Corporate Download, p. 11
For example, the Omnidome Theatre in Downtown Seattle is clearly labeled as Renraku property. The corp logo is everywhere, and a nice tall hedge separates it from the aquarium next door (remember that next time you catch a flick or magic show there). Obvious, right? By comparison, the secret Renraku surveillance post on 28th floor of an undisclosed building next to the shut-down Renraku arcology is not clearly labeled or delineated, and so doesn't count as extraterritorial.
>Renraku Fox
Is there a reason why the Big A shouldn't make their Stuffer Shacks extraterritorial? Would Joe and Jane Average buy their soyfood somewhere else if it were? Would the populace care if ACS takes "on-site punitive action for violation of Aztechnology law" against Shadowrunners?

In other words, would this be detrimental to Aztechnology's bottom line in any way?
"What is it about blogs, forums and LiveJournal that just invite stupid fights, Davan? Is acting like an ass a clause in the user agreement?"
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Presumably so, or they'd already have done it.

IIRC, Aztech is /very/ keen on not slapping its name all over its subsidiaries, too.
__
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Toryu wrote:Is there a reason why the Big A shouldn't make their Stuffer Shacks extraterritorial? Would Joe and Jane Average buy their soyfood somewhere else if it were? Would the populace care if ACS takes "on-site punitive action for violation of Aztechnology law" against Shadowrunners?

In other words, would this be detrimental to Aztechnology's bottom line in any way?
The big limiting factor I see is money. How the heck is Aztechnology going to afford to pay the staff of these people to be impromptu ambassadors? Are they going to lobby to get their stockboys diplomatic immunity? It seems to me that making a fifteen meter square storefront part of your country is only begging to get your ass kicked. Boosters of all stripes could happily commit havoc on your store and you've got to spend millions of nuyen protecting two or three people, some almost valueless stock and some musak equipment.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Toryu
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Toryu »

AFAIK, extraterritorial property doesn't really require any diplomatic staff. The only requirements are:
Corporate Download, p. 10 f.
The accords dictate that extraterritoriality applies in situations where a corp's site or facility is "continuous and contiguous, recognized and long-term." This means that as long as an intuitively obvious distinction between corporate property and the surrounding area exists (such as a fence, or the tenth floor), and the area is officially and publicly designated as corp property (it has a sign), and the corp owns the place or has a signed lease, it counts as extraterritorial.
Toryu
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Toryu »

Damn. I'm stupid. I just checked the Aztech section of Corporate Download. The way it looks, Stuffer Shack isn't owned by the Big A at all; they merely produce 60% of the items Stuffer Shack carries (Corporate Download, p. 41).
CykoSpin
Wuffle Master

Post by CykoSpin »

Ah...that's why I didn't originally think it was owned by the Azzies.
The way I see it, most Shadowrunners wouldn't frequent any Aztech-owned property, seeing as how the general consensus seems to be that Aztechnology is the #1-most-loathed-megacorp-of-all-time.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

I think that's the shadowrunner consensus. Aztech does have a great PR dept...
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
CykoSpin
Wuffle Master

Post by CykoSpin »

Well, yeah. I meant the general consensus within the Shadowrun community.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

And bear in mind that a lot of shadowrunners are going to be pretty clueless about these great big secrets anyway. I mean, word on the street, gossip and rumors only get you so far. Most of this kind of information is laid out on Shadowland, which is not a place where /everyone/ goes. So realistically there's going to be quite a lot of shadowrunners who have no idea that Aztech do blood magic, or whatever.
__
CykoSpin
Wuffle Master

Post by CykoSpin »

Yeah, but any decker worth his salt visits Shadowland, and any Shadowrunner group worth its salt has a good decker.
Camouflage
Tasty Human

Re: Stuffer Shack exterritorial?

Post by Camouflage »

Toryu wrote: My players crossed the Big A twice already, and it might be nice to hassle them a bit when they're buying groceries. :)
Twice?
Toryu wrote:A discussion on Stuffer Shack on irc today got me thinking.

Stuffer Shack, one of the biggest supermarket chains in North America, is a subsidiary of Aztechnology.

Would that make Stuffer Shack stores exterritorial? All of them? Just some, under certain conditions?
Well, to make a public comment on that one:
Only the corp itself with it's directly owned facilities is exterritorial. Remember, the corps have to step in for the government to supply law-inforcement, infrastructure, rescue services etc. on their exterritorial facilities. While it makes a good security-device as well as a nice cover for any illegal activities, it isn't worth the extra costs in general. There's a reason why the corps did not get rid of the governments, but kept them in place to take care of all those things in life, that are not making profit.
_
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster.
And when you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
Toryu
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Toryu »

Camo's finally made it to Bulldrek! Yay! :D

Welcome, dude! Enjoy your stay, but watch out for the Ungamungas. :roll