?? about SR books

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
Bethyaga
Knight of the Crimson Assfro

?? about SR books

Post by Bethyaga »

I've not read any Shadowrun novels, and I would like to. I know this topic has come up before, but what are the best ones in this group's opinion? Which one's do I absolutely avoid? What's most popular? (I would hope "most popular" corresponds with "best", but that is so often not the case in this world.)

Incidentally, I'm setting up a campaign, and I need some information on the Great Lakes region and Michigan in particular... is there any canon info on the area (novels or sourcebooks) that I could steal ideas from?
_Whoever invented that brush that goes next to the toilet is an idiot, cuz that thing hurts.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Lessee... 2XS, Burning Bright, Crossroads, Into the Shadows, Lone Wolf, House of the Sun, Shadowplay are all good books in and of themselves. By that I meant they'd be good reads even without the game link.

Stay well away from Shadowboxer- the first half was quite good but after that it went downhill fast, The Terminus Experiment, Black Madonna, The Forever Drug, and possibly Psychotrope as it's kinda iffy.

The rest run the range of quality and are generally what you'd expect from RPG novels. Of course, all of this is IMHO so YMMV. :)
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

To the "good" list, I'd add anything by Sargent & Gascoigne, and Night's Pawn by Tom Dowd.
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Agreed. Sargent & Gascoigne do very good- and amusing- characters but their stories do seem to uber-powerful, but if you can set that aside you're set.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

I disagree with the popularity of Burning Bright, actually. I know this makes me a heaten on this board, but I thought the story was great (enough that I picked up Bug City) but the writing didn't make me want to go back and read it again.
Chocolate sauce on a buttery nipple. *Bliss*
Sorrow
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Sorrow »

I haven't read many, but I'll throw in another vote for 2XS.
<hr size=1 color=#5c7898><font face=font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" color=#6600FF>The more I overcome, the stronger I become
- Angel of Ruin<a href=http:\/www.chaosengine.com>.</a></font>
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Eli, if you're talking about pedestrian writing, it's still leagues ahead of many of the recent SR novels. *cringe, wince*

Flak: Sargent & Gascoigne's stuff can be powerful, yeah, but on the other hand they do do street-level stuff very well, too. I just love their ability to create atmosphere. Streets of Blood, for instance, reads like a /real/ novel, and unlike most SR novels, doesn't make me want to throw it across the room in horror.
__
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Yeah, some of them can be baaaadd.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Some of them deserve a place in the 'Masochistic Fun' thread, except they're not fun.
__
CykoSpin
Wuffle Master

Post by CykoSpin »

For what it's worth, the Secrets of Power trilogy rocked my Shadowrunnin' socks.
_SURPRISE! I don't like you!