Review for [Promised Sands]

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

DV8,
After a quick bit of research on Al Qadim and Dark Sun...

They are similar in that they are both dealing with desert/wasteland environments and that there is an "arabic influence" in each of them. Al Qadim seems to go the "traditional arabic" route and appears to be pretty accurate historically and according to mythology and legend. Dark Sun seems to only pay slight homage to arabic influences.

Dark Sun does have a "magic drains life away" element that bears a small resemblance to the way Ido struggles with Qai for power on T'nah. However, Qai (the raw power of life and creation itself) isn't represented in Dark Sun from what I've seen.

Promised Sands also has a sci-fi element that is missing from both of those games. The Wet Denizens--who fled from the surface thousands of years ago to domed cities beneath the seas--are returning and bringing technology back with them.

Mechanically, it has been compared to In Nomine because of the D%/D10 method of rolling for Success and Effect. There are some apparent similarities and I must locate a copy of In Nomine to see how they do it.

I understand that Dark Sun is out of print. Anyone know where I can get a copy?

(Yes, WotC announced at GAMA (shortly after their head of all RPGs busted my chops for 20 minutes and grilled me about Promised Sands) that they would be re-releasing Dark Sun "in the near future". Interestingly, all of the people from the WotC booth came to visit BBRACK Productions at GAMA--most of them were very interested and had extensive talks with us.)

Distribution
A year ago, I was asked who our distributors were--and I had none in our "stable" then. Here is the current list:

ACD, Alliance, AAAAces, Centurion, Esdevium (UK), Hobby Games (UK), Lion Rampant (CANADA) and RPV.

We are carried through Impressions Advertising and Marketing--who is currently waiting for a few more orders. He gave me their names, but I can't announce them until they have actually placed the orders.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
[blur]It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --Andre Gide[/blur]
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I just checked eBay. There's a lot of Dark Sun material still floating around.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Cazmonster smilingly remembers half giants and needing to make up multiple characters, because he knew he was going to die.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

DV8 wrote:
I just checked eBay. There's a lot of Dark Sun material still floating around.
Only one auction seems to have what I'm looking for--the basic setting books. I'll keep my eyes peeled, though, thanks.

Most of the material on eBay was the old SSI PC game "Dark Sun: Shattered Lands".

Is this the setting with "kender"? Or is that Dragonlance?
[blur]It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --Andre Gide[/blur]
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Kender are in both - little cannibalistic claw machines.
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

Cazmonster wrote:Kender are in both - little cannibalistic claw machines.
Well, someone asked if we had "kender" in our game and I wasn't sure where they were from, so they said, "small elves that steal". We have races/cultures that could easily create such a thing.

Cannibalistic? In a world of dwindling resources? Hell yeah! Claws? Oh, so you have some Djezinti blood in you, do you? ("Claws" is an Asset available for anyone--you just need the story to explain why you have them...)
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

I hated the little bastards in Dragonlance and Oh god, did I hate them in Dark Sun. I think somebody at TSR had compromising pictures of Gygax to keep them in not one but two settings.
Szechuan
No-Life Loser

Post by Szechuan »

I'd like to pop in briefly and mention that regardless of how much you piss me off, Evan, I found the game very interesting, and plan on looking into it further as soon as I can.

Kudos on getting this thing out the door, and hopefully you guys will prosper. :)
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

Szechuan wrote:I'd like to pop in briefly and mention that regardless of how much you piss me off, Evan, I found the game very interesting, and plan on looking into it further as soon as I can.

Kudos on getting this thing out the door, and hopefully you guys will prosper. :)
Thanks, Szechuan.

By the way, we're working feverishly to get the first supplement Rumors of War released in time for GenCon. I just got the quotes from the printer, we're compiling the material together. Layout and artwork should hit simultaneously. Editing is almost finished.

Rumors of War will be about a 200+ page world/sourcebook. More information as we have it...

...Caz, you going to GenCon? If you are, would you be interested in trying to change my opinion of D20?
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

EvanMoore wrote: ...Caz, you going to GenCon? If you are, would you be interested in trying to change my opinion of D20?
So long as you don't actively try to screw it up, sure. I ran at Oddcon with these two pinheads who said they had a better homebrew than D&D and wasted two hours of my time screwing around.

I will be there. I'll most likely have some stuff ready to run for folks.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

I'd be quite interested to know where you think my "perceptions on the gaming industry have been very skewed in the past" and exactly what "faulty decisions" have been made. I respect your knowledge of the industry and would sincerely like to know what you think.
Well, it's back in that Old Thread you've since disavowed, but I did say *in the past*. To wit, back in those days you displayed an apparent ignorance of the nature of most gaming companies; you appeared to believe that most major game companies were oppressive corporations rather than hobby-ish enterprises run by keen, keen gamers. You made it sound as though you thought your company was different because you were all about the game first and the business second, and at the time I recall telling you that actually, that /wasn't/ the case at all. Hell, if more game companies were oppressive corporations, we'd probably have less folding.

As for the 'faulty decisions', that was an extrapolation based on your lack of familiarity with the industry (a statement as in "if your toe is broken, you may have had problems putting your shoe on that morning"). I can only think of one instance off the top of my head, since I've largely been uninvolved with the development of Promised Sands. As for that one instance, I'd rather not cite specifics or name names, as it wasn't something I was involved in personally.
I wasn't specifically. You defended something he said at the beginning of your post--and I was referencing that "defense" you made of him. Here it is:
Jestyr wrote: Just a couple of points: (and, like Adam, I haven't made any comments yet since I haven't seen anything beyond chunks of the free PDF).
That was where I was referencing you "coming to his defense".
Ah; misunderstanding. I said "Like Adam, I haven't done XYZ" - I was clarifying I'd done the same thing as him in a particular circumstance. That seems leagues away from 'coming to his defense'. (Not that I wouldn't, if I thought it was warranted, but he seems to have ably clarified his response to your concerns himself.)

And here's where I get slightly less civil: you're accusing Adam of twisting *your* words, but look at how you describe your working history with him, compared to how he describes it. He says he checked to see if he was on the comp list; you say he 'begged for a free copy'. If that's not twisting words, I don't know what is.
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

Cazmonster wrote:
EvanMoore wrote: ...Caz, you going to GenCon? If you are, would you be interested in trying to change my opinion of D20?
So long as you don't actively try to screw it up, sure. I ran at Oddcon with these two pinheads who said they had a better homebrew than D&D and wasted two hours of my time screwing around.

I will be there. I'll most likely have some stuff ready to run for folks.
Caz,
I will not actively try to screw up your game. I would consider that incredibly rude. Mind you, I realize that you probably don't think that means much to me--but it really does. I will accord you the same respect that I would look for in others if I were GMiing a game. That being said, expect wisecracks, bad jokes, puns and laughter (even if it's not all that funny)... But, that's just me. :)
Jestyr wrote: you appeared to believe that most major game companies were oppressive corporations rather than hobby-ish enterprises run by keen, keen gamers.
I've learned a lot since then. That was before my first GAMA, my first Origins, and my first GenCon. It ws before Mike Willians of Living Room Games took me under his wing and educated me. It was before Todd Liukart and GMS busted my chops a time or two (dozen). Not to mention that investing nearly every dime of my retirement funds in these endeavors (on this, you are free to ridicule me for my ignorance) and two years of nearly every moment of free-time--I've learned. A lot.
Jestyr wrote:As for that one instance, I'd rather not cite specifics or name names, as it wasn't something I was involved in personally.
PM me with it? If I've made an error, I'd like to learn from my mistake rather than repeating it through ignorance.
Jestyr wrote:And here's where I get slightly less civil: you're accusing Adam of twisting *your* words, but look at how you describe your working history with him, compared to how he describes it. He says he checked to see if he was on the comp list; you say he 'begged for a free copy'. If that's not twisting words, I don't know what is.
Yep. I twisted his words, too. No excuse for it. I was annoyed and I let fingers do the walking before I engaged the common-sense circuitry. I shouldn't have described it as such.

I'm sorry.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Cazmonster wrote:I hated the little bastards in Dragonlance and Oh god, did I hate them in Dark Sun. I think somebody at TSR had compromising pictures of Gygax to keep them in not one but two settings.

Now, now. Let's not malign my babies. "Elves that steal" is not fully accurate. Kender borrow, protect, hold onto stuff. They don't steal. Why, thieves are bad and any good kender would be insulted if you called him a thief. Oh, by the way, you left this ring on the counter last week and I was just holding onto it so someone wouldn't decide to steal it. :D

As for Promised Sands, I'll reserve judgement until I see and read it.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Bethyaga
Knight of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Bethyaga »

Kwyndig wrote:Evan here and his book have annoyed me since day one, I'm not quite sure I can pin down why.
Let me see if I can help:

When Evan first brought this game concept to Bulldrek, it was very specifically with the attitude that he was creating the next big thing and that he was offering us a huge opportunity and that he clearly knew more about all things gaming than the rest of us did. That may not be what he meant, but it is how he came across, and it pissed off many many Bulldrekkers. He vaguely hinted at "secrets" of successful games that he had found in his research and how he was constructing this new game around these secrets as if strategically putting together a boy band or something. This was all in his first thread and it didn't sit well with many.

Since then, Evan has shown that he is hard-working and very dedicated to this project. He has apparently discovered some humility along the way, and from what I hear, he and his team have created a product that will be well-received. His opening post can be chalked up to naivete, overconfidence and a wild exuberance for his baby (and his naturally overbearing online persona). I hope that Evan does well with this. From what he has described, I fear he may have over-extended himself in some ways, but I wish him well. Any ill will I may have for him at this point stems solely from my pure jealousy. I wish I could be looking at the publication of my own hard-bound fully realized world. The Promised Sands setting may not be my own style, but there's a large market out there for it. I hope Evan meets up with it.
_Whoever invented that brush that goes next to the toilet is an idiot, cuz that thing hurts.
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

Cash,
Thank you. I hope you find Promised Sands enjoyable. I'd love to show it to you at Origins or GenCon if you go.

Bethy,
Thank you for your words. Any time you're interested in "playing" in the Promised Sands universe, you're welcome. I know you are a very busy man with a real life, a family, etc.--but I've also read your work and I would be honored if you'd like to muck around with what I've created.

Consider this an open invitation. I'd be very interested to hear what you have to say after looking over/reading through Promised Sands.

Caz,
You are also more than welcome to jump in with both feet (that is your usual style, isn't it :) ).
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

And the first review [that I've seen,] is in: http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9428.phtml
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Very...descriptive and well-written review. Now I have an idea what to see from Promised Sands itself...
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

The job-class thing doesn't bother me, but the language would annoy the hell out of me, unless it's not as prevalent as the reviewer portrays it. I'll look it up; the setting seems interesting, if nothing else.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

setting seems interesting, but what's interesting...the reviewer mentioned very little about setting itself...
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

There is now a reply to the review from the President of BBRACK Productions.

I am also told that another reviewer will be posting another review to RPGnet in the next "2 to 3 weeks". Apparently, the new reviewer has a standard policy of playing three "significant" gaming sessions with the products that they review.

I would imagine you'll have more "meat" to the coming review due to the playtesting.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Is there a reason why you refer to yourself as 'The President of BBRACK' rather than just saying 'I responded'?

No threat of condemnation or nothin'. Just curious.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I think he might want to distance himself from the response to the review, so that some people who have proven it very hard for themselves to seperate their opinion of the game with their opinion of Evan himself not to do the same thing with the reply to the review.

Perhaps I'm seeing things.
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

Ok, I thought he wasn't actually heading up the company, this was just his baby. I'm very confused.

Oh, well. Since I haven't responded to this already, congratulations.
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. They also misapply overly niggling inerpretations of Logical Fallacies in place of arguing anything at all.
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

For the record, "Evan Moore" is not officially associated with BBRACK Productions.

Willy Gilligan,
Thank you.
Bethyaga
Knight of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Bethyaga »

For the record, "Evan Moore" is not officially associated with BBRACK Productions.
Maybe so, but the same individual is responsible for everything produced by both of them.

Sorry about the review though, Evan. That sucks. The people who played my game adored it and there's at least one ongoing campaign I'm aware of, but it doesn't change the fact that the game is an obvious first effort, and the reviews reflected that... painfully so. Oh... Lord knows they had plenty of nice things to say as well, but ultimately, they were mostly dismissive. I don't wish that on anyone.

But I learned a lot, and my next efforts will be the better for them. With the number of supplements you plan to get to, maybe this will give you food for thought.
_Whoever invented that brush that goes next to the toilet is an idiot, cuz that thing hurts.
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

Bethyaga wrote:
Maybe so, but the same individual is responsible for everything produced by both of them.
I neither confirm nor deny that statement. No comment :cool
Sorry about the review though, Evan. That sucks. The people who played my game adored it and there's at least one ongoing campaign I'm aware of, but it doesn't change the fact that the game is an obvious first effort, and the reviews reflected that... painfully so. Oh... Lord knows they had plenty of nice things to say as well, but ultimately, they were mostly dismissive. I don't wish that on anyone.

But I learned a lot, and my next efforts will be the better for them. With the number of supplements you plan to get to, maybe this will give you food for thought.
Yes. We have learned. Sadly, much of what was said, we determined already toward the end of the production (after having learned a lot) and chose to go through with production anyway rather than spend another six months (which means another year for marketing) making changes.

The next books and products will be much better. We have learned.

There are many things to take into consideration with the review that was posted. Thankfully, the next review will not be so scathing. (And I really shouldn't typify this review as "scathing"--it is "average". Taken into consideration that this is "average" as compared to ... WotC, FASA/FanPro, Wizkids, AEG, SJGames, Etc.

I'll take "average" for our first product! Yeah! :)

Of course, the next products will be even better...

...and Promised Sands 2nd Edition will be even better, too. ;)