ShadowFAQ Assistant Required

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

ShadowFAQ Assistant Required

Post by Adam »

Hello all,

For reasons that will become very clear tomorrow, I now absolutely require a new assistant for the ShadowFAQ [http://shadowfaq.dumpshock.com]. My last attempt at an assistant did not turn out, so we'll try again . . .

The duties would basically be "keep the ShadowFAQ far more up to date than Adam has managed to do," but they break down into a few main areas at the moment:

* Update all the out of date information about FASA, consolidate the necessary information from the FASA Closing FAQ [http://www.dumpshock.com/FASA-FAQ.html] into the FAQ, add the relevant information about WizKids and FanPro LLC, etc.
* Decide [with me] on a strategy for presenting 3rd Edition related questions in a manner that supplements the Official FAQ [http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/book/faq.shtml]
* Monitor relevant Shadowrun online forums [mostly Dumpshock and ShadowRN] to document further FAQs for addition to the site.

Skills required will be:

* Shadowrun knowledge, obviously.
* Above average writing and editing skills.
* Minor HTML knowledge - enough to do hyperlinks, bold, italics, and that kind of thing. [We'll likely be exchanging files by email and I'll handle FTPing them to Dumpshock]
* Being able to put up with my hyper-perfectionist nature.

Obviously, if you're someone that I know personally or have dealt with before, you stand a better chance of me wanting you as an assistant. I expect this is obvious, but I state it up front: I don't work with people I don't get along with.

There is no compensation for this job - it's strictly something done for the good of the community - and I do think that having the unofficial ShadowFAQ updated on a regular basis would be very good for Dumpshock and the other online communities.

If you're interested, email me at adamj@dumpshock.com with the subject line "ShadowFAQ Application" and a short email summarizing your experience, why you're interested, and why you'll do a great job and help make the ShadowFAQ one of the top ten Shadowrun resources on the internet.

Adam
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Eep! I'd love to help Adam, but I don't have all the required skills (Point #3). Good luck getting a helper.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

I am definitely interested, but how much of a time commitment are you looking for with this?
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Big Jim wrote:I am definitely interested, but how much of a time commitment are you looking for with this?
You know, I'm not honestly sure. Early on, I expect the time commitment to be relatively high - revising the Real Life section of the ShadowFAQ will require a bunch of time [10 hours, maybe?], although it won't be particularly hard work.

From then on, it should be a simple matter of taking some notes each time you read DSF and other Shadowrund discussion forums, marking down what you consider to be FAQs. Then, once a week or so, researching the correct answers, and also noting the common "House Rule" answers. Then writing the HTML and sending it to me - probably a couple hours of solid 'work' a week, on top of browsing forums and suchlike.

Naturally, once you've been doing it for awhile the amount of questions that will need doing will be less.
Anguirel

Multiple Assistant Strategem...

Post by Anguirel »

As you haven't updated us with the status of this project, I thought I'd put my alternative up here for general consideration...

I don't think I'd have the time or commitment to keep up with every post (or even a good number of them) at the moment. Indeed, as long as I have a regular job I can no longer keep up as well as I'd like on all the questions just on Dumpshock... However, I make a point of reading all the Rigger questions because I really like Riggers. I'm certain there are some people who equally love reading about hermetic magic, shamanic magic, adepts, conjuring, guns, and other SR topics... Rather than having a single assistant (especially if no one has stepped forward to assume the role for you), I propose having a few assistant 'gurus' of various sections of the ShadowFAQ that keep up on topics related to specific sections of the FAQ and update those particular regions, then submit their changes to you to be incorporated (or not) into the main FAQ.

This could be done for the entire project (both initial update and maintanence) or could be used purely for maintaining purposes after the initial update is complete.
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

Adam are you still looking for someone to help out with this? If so, I'd be interested. Let me know, and I'll email you.
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.