Promised Sands Artwork

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Promised Sands Artwork

Post by EvanMoore »

Greetings,
One of our our artists has posted some of his artwork we will be using for Promised Sands and I thought some of you might be interested in seeing it.

[url=http://arashi_.tripod.com]Arashi's Artowrk[/url]

Comments are welcome.

Evan

EDIT: The link changed in the intervening time since this was posted, so did the name of the game.
Last edited by EvanMoore on Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
[blur]It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --Andre Gide[/blur]
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

Bad link guys.
(Maybe it is NOW at least)

Is there a current link?

~A~
Quoth Drunken Master:
"When Colin Powell walks out of your cabinet because of doctrinal issues, you've got problems."
Quoth Moto42:
"Bulldrek, where love and appreciation are accompanied by a volley of gunfire."
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Well, the link works perfectly for me, it's just that the pictures are mostly dead.
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

well it could be because i'm at work and it DOES lock out certain sites (but I have no idea why THAT one would be locked out.)

I'll check it when I get home.

~A~
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

No piccy-pics and yes, the site loaded for me as well.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

Yeah, it works here at home, same as everyone else.
My bad. (stoopid friggin work computer!)

Tchuss!

~A~
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

The website changed in the interim. Link is fixed.

Here are a few more, too--these are near final images for our race sketches.

Syl

Numid

Suv'ik

Let me know if you have any trouble with the links.

Evan
[blur]It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --Andre Gide[/blur]
Fortune
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Fortune »

Nice work...no linkage problems whatsoever. :)
<br>
Reality is for people that can't handle BTL!
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Very nice, they have the same feel as the concept art from the guys at Blizzard. I assume that Promised Sands is Savage Realm meet 1,001 Arabian Nights.
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

Cazmonster wrote:Very nice, they have the same feel as the concept art from the guys at Blizzard. I assume that Promised Sands is Savage Realm meet 1,001 Arabian Nights.
I don't know the people at Blizzard, but I'll check with this particular illustrator when he returns from England (about three weeks from now) to see if he has worked with them.

When we picked a name for the gameworld we are creating, we latched onto Savage Realm because 1) it sounded cool, 2) it reflected one aspect of the game that was important at that time. Since then, the world has evolved and changed, it has grown to be much more than it was.

When I did a little market testing--completely unscientific and unofficial--I found that the name Savage Realm tended to evoke one of three things:

1) Dinosaurs--we have none in our world.
2) Amazons and jungles--jungles are rare and though we can have amazon like characters, no race or culture is specifically like that.
3) Barbarian hordes--while there are barbaric peoples and hordes of them, at that, it is not the main focus of the world.
4) Stone age technology--we have more of a late middle ages technology with branches into steam tech, current tech and even into highly advanced tech.

As I looked at the list of what people were getting from the name, I realized that none of it applied to our world. So, I checked with a few of my new contacts in the gaming industry. We talked about the game-world, the feel, the ideas behind the world and with those in mind, I went back to my Board of Directors and we brainstormed for a few days for a new name.

And the way the new name was chosen was completely by accident.

Promised Sands is not as "exciting" a name as Savage Realm, but it tells more about the world.

We do intend to release a book called Savage Realm later--possibly late 2003 or early 2004. It will be a game that takes place at a different point in the timeline of the Promised Sands universe.

So, to answer your question...

Yes. There is a strong "middle eastern" feel to Promised Sands. I rather like the way you put it--"Savage Realm meets 1001 Arabian Nights".

Or as one of the Shadowrun freelancers offered (and for which I owe him $.09 <chuckles>):

"Dark, Desert Fantasy".

Evan
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Cazmonster hides his Half-Giants, his thri-keen and his muls from Evan.
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

Cazmonster wrote:Cazmonster hides his Half-Giants, his thri-keen and his muls from Evan.
Caz,
I wouldn't steal your ideas.

But, if you seriously wanted to look at publishing them, I'd help you do that. That's part of the reason we created BBRACK Productions, Inc. Not just to get our own ideas published, but to help other creative people get through the brick walls and get there material published, too.

Evan
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Evan, sorry, they aren't my ideas. They happen to be races from TSR/WoTC's campaign setting Dark Sun.

Dark Sun was a great system, a little grim for the gaming I like to do. But it sounds a decent bit like Promised Sands will echo it nicely.
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

Cazmonster wrote:Evan, sorry, they aren't my ideas. They happen to be races from TSR/WoTC's campaign setting Dark Sun.

Dark Sun was a great system, a little grim for the gaming I like to do. But it sounds a decent bit like Promised Sands will echo it nicely.
I didn't even know Dark Sun existed until well after I had created the world for Promised Sands. It seems that any time someone mentions "desert" and "fantasy" together, you get a mention of "Dark Suns".

At some point, I may have to actually look at that game and see what they did.

Is that the one that had "kinder" in it?

Evan
Kwyndig
Grand Marshall of the Imperium
Location: The Orbiting Volcano Lair, high above the surface of Bulldrek

Post by Kwyndig »

Nah, it had feral halflings instead.
kwyndig@yahoo.com This sig for rent, reasonable rates
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Ack! That's kender, mister! And no, the kender are from the Dragonlance setting. :)
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

EvanMoore wrote:
Cazmonster wrote:Cazmonster hides his Half-Giants, his thri-keen and his muls from Evan.
Caz,
I wouldn't steal your ideas.

But, if you seriously wanted to look at publishing them, I'd help you do that. That's part of the reason we created BBRACK Productions, Inc. Not just to get our own ideas published, but to help other creative people get through the brick walls and get there material published, too.

Evan
Really?
Cool. I'm working on three submissions right now of art, various genres.
Interested in taking a peek?

~A~
Quoth Drunken Master:
"When Colin Powell walks out of your cabinet because of doctrinal issues, you've got problems."
Quoth Moto42:
"Bulldrek, where love and appreciation are accompanied by a volley of gunfire."
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

Ampere wrote: Really?
Cool. I'm working on three submissions right now of art, various genres.
Interested in taking a peek?
i would be happy to take a look at them. If your style suits our needs for Promised Sands you might see it in print fairly soon.

Drop me an email: EvanMoore@aol.com

Evan