HALO Jumps

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
Serious Paul
Devil

HALO Jumps

Post by Serious Paul »

Right as I will shortly be describing this sort of thing in detail I am looking for some real life examples of HALO jumps. As of yet I am having no luck finding real good descriptions of the jump itself. I can find several sites on the equipment but not the jumps. Any one have some help?
CykoSpin
Wuffle Master

Post by CykoSpin »

It stands for High-Altitude / Low-Opening, or something along those lines. It's jumping from a great height, but opening the 'shute at the lowest possible altitude to decrease the chances of both the aircraft and the jumper being spotted. It's a stealth thing.
_SURPRISE! I don't like you!
OverLord
Wuffle Initiate

Post by OverLord »

http://www.specialtactics.com/stvideo.shtml
http://www.dropzonepress.com/usjump-.htm
Try these, Paulie. Dunno if the vids are good or not, but looks promising.
Second one has the vid about midway down.
I THINK these are 'chuting vids, but I could be wrong.
"If we would guide by the light of reason, we must let our minds be bold."
~Louis Brandeis
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I should clarify, I know what HALO is and understand it basically, but I need to describe it for others.
CykoSpin
Wuffle Master

Post by CykoSpin »

I'm assuming this is for an RPG. otherwise, it wouldn't belong here. Now then, if you already know what a HALO jump is, then why the hell do you need a detailed description of a RL one?
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

The movie Navy Seals has some HALO jumping in it. It may be helpful to peruse the footage to get an idea of things--mind you, a Hollywood perspective, but it might be helpful.

Evan
---------------------------------------------------------------------
[blur]It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --Andre Gide[/blur]
JohnnyRico
Wuffle Student

Post by JohnnyRico »

Cyko: he's looking for a first-person perspective that he can give to us (Us being those crazy/foolish enough to be involved in the suicude mission that he's sending the Dragons on. Can't wait myself)
"I have a conundrum for you. A riddle if you will. What's the difference between you, and malard with a cold? I don't remember how it ends, but your mothers a whore." -"Sean Connery" Celebrity Jeopardy- SNL
CykoSpin
Wuffle Master

Post by CykoSpin »

Fair enough.

...and now, the cyber-smile (because I never use it): :cyber
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

The only help I can offer is the knowledge I have of standard static line jumps and make a few assumptions.

First off is temperature. You are high up and the air is REALLY cold. Add to that the fact that you are falling really fast (Windchill!!!). Granted you are only falling for a short while, it does seem like forever when you are cold.(A few minutes of subzero conditions)

The air is way thinner and less oxygenated (have to have oxygen).

So for a few minutes you literally freeze your ass off, suck in bottled oxygen, and watch your altimeter.

Once you hit the specified altitude you pop your chute, flare the risers, check that the cells of the chute are filled, and orientate (including verifying wind direction). Vector to the LZ and turn into the wind and voila. With the rectangle chutes you can land on a dime, nice and easy.

I'm pretty sure it's not that simple. I've done lots of static line jumps and a few free fall drops. Never HALO. But I think the explanation is close to the mark. Maybe you'll get a REAL SF guy. I was just a paratrooper grunt.

~A~
Quoth Drunken Master:
"When Colin Powell walks out of your cabinet because of doctrinal issues, you've got problems."
Quoth Moto42:
"Bulldrek, where love and appreciation are accompanied by a volley of gunfire."
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Sounds like it's pressure suit and mask time, and we better get a really big chute for UJ.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>