[D&D3E/NWN] Clerics. They good?

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

[D&D3E/NWN] Clerics. They good?

Post by ak404 »

Lately, I've been thinking of a battle cleric with a couple of levels of paladin, perhaps Champion of Torm to mix things up. However, I've never played a cleric before, and slow BAB progression makes me uneasy. In your experiences, have clerics proven to be competent combatants?
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

Careful, you might stir up an old debate...

My take is, yes, they can be. If they have the option of planning for an encounter, they can go into it with some pretty nifty enchantments. They will never be as fighting ready as a straight up knock them dead fighter or a blessed Paladin, but they can hold their own if they need to.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Straight clerics can be some of the nastiest characters in the game. Ability to wear heavy armor, d8 hp, ok BAB progression, and ability to cast spells (esp buffing spells).
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

I kind of figured as much. I was planning on a paladin 2/cleric ??/champion of torm build for NWN, and just wanted to get some feedback.

But as I said, I've only heard things about the cleric. I've never actually experienced one.
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Too much preparation time. Wading in is much better.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Yeah, I was thinking about that too, and personally, I like excessive amounts of violence better. :D

However, would taking a level in cleric (for access to clerical scrolls) be a good idea?
LynGrey
Tasty Human

Post by LynGrey »

Just go Straight Cleric.. and just rightous might/bull's strength yourself all day along and kill everythign. You may not be the lean mean cutting machine like a fighter.. but hell you will have those heal spells to make you last.. its also nice to get abotu 4 levels of fighter under your belt! heh.. 4th attack and spec is always nice!
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

LynGrey wrote:Just go Straight Cleric.. and just rightous might/bull's strength yourself all day along and kill everythign. You may not be the lean mean cutting machine like a fighter.. but hell you will have those heal spells to make you last.. its also nice to get abotu 4 levels of fighter under your belt! heh.. 4th attack and spec is always nice!
Screw four levels of fighter. Four (or more) levels of Hospitaler: keep gaining spell levels at a full progression, gain fighter bonus feats every other level starting at third, gain Lay-On-Hands, gain Cure Disease/week, gain fighter BAB-progression -- lose two levels of turning, and you need to have two Riding feats. I'd call it a fair trade. :D
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

This is for NWN, Ang. My bad.
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

ak404 wrote:This is for NWN, Ang. My bad.
I know. I'm just saying, is all...
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
LynGrey
Tasty Human

Post by LynGrey »

Hospitler is soooo broken!!!

Dang WoTC for printing that one.

But its not legal in 3.5 technically.. none of those class books are legal anymore. They are gunna be replaced by Complete warrior, complete divine, complete arcane, and complete (insert rogue) books.

THey are awesome tho.

but yeah.
Ghotty
Bulldrekker

Post by Ghotty »

Clerics? Competent combatants? Yes.

Divine Favor(+1 to AC, Attacks and Damage per 3 levels or something like that)
Righteous Might(increase in Size, +8 str, +4 con, +4 nat AC, Damage resistance 5/evil(good), and some other shit too)
Divine Power( +6 strength, fighter BAB, and 1 or 2 hitpoints per level)

Owl's Wisdom
Death Knell
Magical weapon and/or Magic vestment
Flamestrike
the "smite" spells(Chaos Hammer, Law something, Holy Smite, Unholy blight)
Healing yourself.
Summoning monsters
Greater Planar Ally(hll, all planar ally spells...)
Turning
Allahu Akbar
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

LynGrey wrote:Hospitler is soooo broken!!!
Then your DM isn't running the Vow of Poverty correctly. When you're giving away three quarters of your shit, it's not broken at all.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

wut? Hospitler doesn't have a Vow of Poverty (it having come out before the Book of Exalted Deeds)

Lyn:: How is the Hospitler broken?
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

Cash wrote:wut? Hospitler doesn't have a Vow of Poverty (it having come out before the Book of Exalted Deeds)
Does too, it just doesn't include rules for it. Go look it up; I promise it's there.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

No God Squad book with me. I'll have to check it out when gaming tonight.
</font>
LynGrey
Tasty Human

Post by LynGrey »

![/quote]
Four (or more) levels of Hospitaler: keep gaining spell levels at a full progression, gain fighter bonus feats every other level starting at third, gain Lay-On-Hands, gain Cure Disease/week, gain fighter BAB-progression -- lose two levels of turning, and you need to have two Riding feats. I'd call it a fair trade. :D[/quote]

thats about it right there.
Yeah.. not only do you become a better cleric.. you become a better fighter... shez.. whats the lost there? The lost you get are very very minimal... and you don't givein 3/4th of your gear. You just maintain a code of conduct. Which envolves taking care of hospitaler facilities and the people you have been assigned to care for(ops thats my party) and you give all excess wealth to the hospitaler facility and continuing on your party you have been assigned to protect and ensure they defeat the evil causing the problems.
LynGrey
Tasty Human

Post by LynGrey »

![/quote]
Four (or more) levels of Hospitaler: keep gaining spell levels at a full progression, gain fighter bonus feats every other level starting at third, gain Lay-On-Hands, gain Cure Disease/week, gain fighter BAB-progression -- lose two levels of turning, and you need to have two Riding feats. I'd call it a fair trade. :D[/quote]

thats about it right there.
Yeah.. not only do you become a better cleric.. you become a better fighter... shez.. whats the lost there? The lost you get are very very minimal... and you don't givein 3/4th of your gear. You just maintain a code of conduct. Which envolves taking care of hospitaler facilities and the people you have been assigned to care for(ops thats my party) and you give all excess wealth to the hospitaler facility and continuing on your party you have been assigned to protect and ensure they defeat the evil causing the problems.
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

No offense, but I believe my grammar teacher just had a massive cardiac arrest.
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.