(Any) RPG

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
JetPlane
Wuffle Student

(Any) RPG

Post by JetPlane »

For about 2 years now, I've attempted to stay away from rpgs, simply because, when I was that's all I was involved in. My grades started dropping, blah-blah-blah.

Since attending the Midsouth Con, I've wanted to become involved in rpgs again, and I'm asking for some help.

The last rpgs I was really involved in before I quit playing them all together were very low-key games, usually ones made by one fellow who then assembled a group of players together to play it out. Off and on in those 2 years, I would play Vampire: The Masquerade with a small group of friends.

For someone just recently entering again into the world of rpgs, which particular rpg would you recommend to start out with?
Kwyndig
Grand Marshall of the Imperium
Location: The Orbiting Volcano Lair, high above the surface of Bulldrek

Post by Kwyndig »

I'd say something rules light. Like Fudge or BESM. That way, you can get into the game without having to learn a lot.

Another thing to do is, of course, go with what you already know how to play.
kwyndig@yahoo.com This sig for rent, reasonable rates
JetPlane
Wuffle Student

Post by JetPlane »

All right. I do still know Vampire: The Masquerade pretty well, so I'll see if I can get involved in that again.

My boyfriend has also been putting Cthulu(he even made me run a Cthulu game at the Midsouth Con, even though I had never even read the rule book. Thankfully, after pushing it on me, he still helped me with it) and Shadowrun on me, and, for the moment, I really can't take it.

Thank you.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Like Kywn said, games that are light on the rules, or ones where the setting really appeals to you. Flip through a few books at your local store, or ask here, we can give you the 3 sentance summary of a bunch of different games, its always easier to get back into something if you find a piece that can hold your interest for a while.
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Reika »

3rd edition D&D isn't too hard to get into, despite what some might say, the rules are generally pretty simple and there's alot of support out there for it.
Bethyaga
Knight of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Bethyaga »

the [D&D3] rules are generally pretty simple
Only if you are already familiar with D&D. d20 is remarkably simple. D&D3 is a very very complex version of d20. Just creating characters is actually a long complicated process that has lost many experienced players who happen to be 3e/d20 newbies.
_Whoever invented that brush that goes next to the toilet is an idiot, cuz that thing hurts.
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

I am quite unfamiliar with the D20 system as a mechanic. I've looked it over and passed on it, but I make no claim to "know" it. One of my counterparts has brought up the idea of making rules to cross the Trinary System with D20 for those who prefer those rules.

I'd also like to make a cross for Fudge--I have a new-found respect for it after meeting the designer.

M'lady Jet,
If you want an easy system that allows you to focus on the roleplay, Fudge is pretty good. Just be sure you get a good core-world product so the roleplaying is up to snuff.

I'd recommend that you use the Trinary System--but it's not out yet and--in all honesty--it's designed for more experienced players who like a solid web of rules behind their roleplay--yet as invisible as possible.

Evan
---------------------------------------------------------------------
[blur]It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --Andre Gide[/blur]
Crucible
Tasty Human

D&D3

Post by Crucible »

Creating characters is simplified if you use the freebie character generator. The rules for combat etc. are fairly simple, at the basic level, with complexities that can be added.

The only problem is that the character sheets produced by the demo character generator are way too long with too much on them. However, they do all the addition etc. for you. You can download the generator from the wizards site.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Actually, having recently had to go back over a few things in BESM, I would recommend you start with Tri-Stat, Jet, if you can. Very simply put, you have 3 stats and roll 2 dice in a simple roll+level vs target number mechanic. The issue there might be finding someone who plays a Tri-Stat game (Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM), Hong Kong Action Theatre, etc), but the books are one sourcebook games for around $20 available from Guardians of Order.
Adam

Post by Adam »

EvanMoore wrote: I'd also like to make a cross for Fudge--I have a new-found respect for it after meeting the designer.
Steffan was at GTS? Bugger, I owe him a drink.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

The system doesn't matter. What matters is you get a good GM and a good group and a gameworld that interests you.

I've never started a new player on anything but Shadowrun, which isn't the simplest bunch of rules in the world. But we just don't use the rules for a while until that person is comfortable - we basically play diceless for a few sessions - and then start slowly introducing die rolls a few at a time until the system fits up with the roleplaying the new player's been doing; then it all makes more sense to them.

Unfortunately, what this leads to is players who don't create characters to the system, who don't play to the system, but who instead play to their characters and to the physics of the gameworld. It leads to players for whom characterization is more important than statistics, for whom reason and logic are more important than die rolling. Boy, that sure does suck. :D
JetPlane
Wuffle Student

Post by JetPlane »

Wildfire: Thank you so much for you imput. I really do appreciate it.

But, here is a more specific question:

Personally, I'm really into very technical type of rpgs. Weapons, spies, espionage, a warped, future society(nigh- ,neo-, or post-orwellian societies, oppressive governments, the computers are running everything, government has been replaced by large corporations, etc.). I'm also a fan of elves and any sort of computer-enhanced human sub-species. I also love mafia-type relationships between characters(They're loyal as all hell to members of their family, but they don't bat an eyelash about killing someone that betrays them. I liked Vampire: The Masquerade simply because some of the clans had relationships such as this).

If I could find a rpg that fit close to all of these perimeters, I'd be more than willing to jump right in and get the rules down, etc.

Anyone have any ideas of what rpg might match the traits I listed above? Or any two, three, four that might come close?
Adam

Post by Adam »

Uh, isn't that pretty much Shadowrun? :)
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

Sounds a lot like a setting for AEG's new Spycraft game and their companion product ... um ... "Shadowforce"? Or something like that....

Both should be out in August.

(But I have an advanced copy if anyone wants to buy it... <grin>)

Evan
[blur]It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --Andre Gide[/blur]
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

I'd have to agree with Adam, when its done right, that is Shadowrun. The only other games I've played that had some of those components were Dark Conspiracy (which is out of print and a bitch to learn anyways) and a specific setting created for Alternity(which is no longer produced, and I have no idea how to even get in touch with the guy who made up that setting)
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

She'll be playing Shadowrun, as will someone who hasn't ever played an RPG before. Introducing them into my group will be - ah - interesting, considering that I'm not sure they'll be interested in the campaign we're already involved in.
paladin2019
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by paladin2019 »

And very easily the focus of a Cyberpunk game. Of Course, Cyberpunk can also be run quite effectively by playing the char off against each other, classic office politics style. And if you don't mind dumping the tech level, Legend of the Five Rings contains many of the same "wolf-pack" themes. As can Seventh Sea and a good DnD campaign with it's roots in the Italian Renaissance.
-call me Andy, dammit
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

First game I ever played was Shadowrun and I had very little trouble getting into the groove. D&D 3Ed was also my first exposure to D20 and I had no trouble with that at all. I just have problems with a certain person's dice rolling.
Threadbare
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Threadbare »

Ah yes, 7th Sea can run a really trecherous game. Shadowrun seems to be what you're looking for, however. Since you're already familiar with vampire, you might want to look into another WoD game, I guess. I like Hunter and Werewolf, can pass on the rest.

Spycraft seems to have potential, and it comes out in March, not August, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure about that "Archer" thing they have going. I like the fact that at high levels some characters can basically bend the laws of physics or probability in times of great need, movie-style. It is d20, but it doesn't look as complex as D&D, but that might be just me.

If you like orwellian living taken to an absurdist extreme, find an old copy of paranoia. I'm sure other posters could regale you with better tales than I.
_

If I wasn't so busy commanding more than one ship without holding flag rank, I would come down there to New London Towne and show a few people a thing or two about OFFICERship."
--The Commodore

Keep the Funk Alive.
Silent Sniper
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Silent Sniper »

Paranoia rocks eggs on toast. It's as simple as that, citizen.
_
The Duke of Slack
Wielder of the Axe of Mass Destruction
Keeper of the Food Loaf

Quote of the random period of time:
Beware, naughty children, for the bells herald Santa's dark harvest of souls...
JetPlane
Wuffle Student

Post by JetPlane »

All right. Thank you all so much for responding to this thread. I really appreciate all the info.

Well, yes, I will be playing Shadowrun, and also, my boyfriend has just recently introduced me to Changeling. He gave me 2 of the books, so I'm going to be going through those within the next week or so. I'll see whether I like it or not.

Again, Thank you.

-Jet
Crucible
Tasty Human

Report to the termination center

Post by Crucible »

Silentsn-I-per-1, please report to the termination center immediately. Knowledge of "eggs" is not cleared for a citizen of your level. Thank you for your cooperation and have a nice day.
paladin2019
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by paladin2019 »

Dude, Indigo level ain't cleared for eggs. :cute
-call me Andy, dammit
Crucible
Tasty Human

More Paranoia

Post by Crucible »

Palad-I-N20-19 is a clone mutant and needs to be terminated since no clone families are produced in lots higher than six. Palad-I-N20-19 should be terminated on sight, and body parts brought to R&D sublevel 7 room F15 for inspection.

Thank you for your cooperation, and remember to handle your lasers with care.
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

Crucible,
You realize, of course, we must game--especially now that I know you live nearby and this evident and intriguing display of Paranoia background.

Evan
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Cazmonster, founder and head fun guy of the Death Leopards, decides to spike E-V-anMoore's cold fun with miniaturized grenades.

Have fun, kill people.
Have fun, blow stuff up.
Have fun, rewire The Computer so it kills people while blowing up.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Crucible
Tasty Human

Laughing wickedly...

Post by Crucible »

(I think Evanm-O-Ore-1 would fit the nomenclature better Cazm-O-ster-1.)

A gaming session might be arrangeable: of course my paranoia set is presently sitting in a friend's apartment in Santa Ana, CA. I've only really played the first edition, though I bought, I think, the third.

In many, the original Paranoia was one of the best made RPGs I have ever seen.

Right now I'm DMing a game on Tuesday nights (at the seminary) and playing with another group on Monday nights. We divided into two nights when more and more seminarians expressed an interest in playing. One party has 5 people (sometimes 6) and the other has 6 people (sometimes 7) and there are another two or three guys on campus who have expressed an interest.

Concordia St. Louis: the hotbed of the RPG world!
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Laughing wickedly...

Post by EvanMoore »

Crucible wrote: One party has 5 people (sometimes 6) and he other has 6 people (sometimes 7) and there are another two or three guys on campus who have expressed an interest.
<sniff, sniff>

Do I smell playtesters?

<Grin>

Crucible, have I told you the merits of playtesting Savage Realm for BBRACK Productions, Inc.?

<grin>

BBRACK Productions, Inc.
Savage Realm

Evan
Reika

Post by Reika »

Bethyaga wrote: Only if you are already familiar with D&D. d20 is remarkably simple. D&D3 is a very very complex version of d20. Just creating characters is actually a long complicated process that has lost many experienced players who happen to be 3e/d20 newbies.
O.o?

Um, no offence, but I don't see how making a 3e character is all that hard. Especially if you're given just the mainbook to make the char. Hell even the stuff given in the various classbooks isn't that terribly complicated. Most of the advanced stuff is in the DMG, the stuff in the PHB is meant for beginners.
Threadbare
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Threadbare »

EvanMoore wrote:...But I have an advanced copy if anyone wants to buy it... <grin>
Actually, I'm somewhat interested in obtaining the Spycraft book. I heard good things.
_

If I wasn't so busy commanding more than one ship without holding flag rank, I would come down there to New London Towne and show a few people a thing or two about OFFICERship."
--The Commodore

Keep the Funk Alive.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Reika wrote: Um, no offence, but I don't see how making a 3e character is all that hard. Especially if you're given just the mainbook to make the char.
Yeah, because lord only knows that the 3e PHB is organized /so well/.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

It made my brain bleed. I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to make a character in 3e, and just plain couldn't, even after Caz helped. I eventually used his suggestions and the Character Generator to make one. You know why? Because the Character Generator was /step-by-step./

The PHB is a piece of shit. All the information you need...somewhere.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Especially after Gavin, I have seriously thought about un-binding the whole thing and organizing it in such as way that it makes sense to me...
Reika

Post by Reika »

I guess that only proves just how wierd I am then. :D
Crucible
Tasty Human

Game testing...

Post by Crucible »

Hmmm...

Actually, about half of those playing are fairly new. I'm definitely the oldest hand, by far; there are some other guys on campus who've been role-playing for 20+ years, but we haven't gotten them into one of the groups yet. Strange thing: they tend to have families...

I'm not precisely sure what you would be looking for from Game Testers.
Toryu
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Toryu »

Hrm...having just recently picked up the D&D 3rd ed. Player's Handbook (no prior D&D experience, mind you), I must say that the rules and character creation are really comprehensible.
"What is it about blogs, forums and LiveJournal that just invite stupid fights, Davan? Is acting like an ass a clause in the user agreement?"
Adam

Post by Adam »

The first three chapters are backwards!
Kwyndig
Location: The Orbiting Volcano Lair, high above the surface of Bulldrek

Post by Kwyndig »

That doesn't mean they aren't comprehensible, just backwards.
kwyndig@yahoo.com This sig for rent, reasonable rates
Adam

Post by Adam »

Perhaps, but frankly, I expect better.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

The first time I ever roleplayed was Robotech. I picked up AD&D shortly thereafter. In 89 a guy at my high school brought over Shadowrun, and I was like WOW! Check this shit out! Later that same year, I met this guy 32. After threatening him physically we became friends, and started roleplaying. We played SR.

Suddenly we played with dozens of people. We had lunch games, and we played after school and on weekends. We hardly used any of the real rules for years. In fact 32s statement still rings true.We introduce players to the absolute minimum. We want them to be their charcater, not the rule book.
Szechuan
No-Life Loser

Post by Szechuan »

Toryu wrote: Hrm...having just recently picked up the D&D 3rd ed. Player's Handbook (no prior D&D experience, mind you), I must say that the rules and character creation are really comprehensible.
2nd Edition (which has a lovely little step-by-step guide in the ront of the PHB) is definitely easier to learn. I'm lucky I knew how to use that when I tried out 3rd.

One thing: The character sheets bundle you can buy has stepwise creation rules on the inside.
WoTC put more essential stuff in an extra supplement. Go figure. :p