[SR] Help with creating a magic group

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

[SR] Help with creating a magic group

Post by Reika »

I'm trying to create a magic group for adepts that work for Knight Errant, or Ares in general, but I'm drawing a blank for color.

What I've had in mind for "crunchy bits" are as follows:

Purpose: Initiatory group
Strictures:
Individual - Exclusive Membership and Fraternity. Since they are adepts that work for Ares/KE, they're frowned upon joining other group outside of the "family" and will always look out for their "family".
Group - Limited Membership. See above for reasoning.

Resources - Either High or Luxury, with Ares/KE as their patron. It's in corp's best interest to keep valuable magical assets happy and it would keep them from looking outside of the corp for the type of support a magical group can give.

Thoughts, ideas, and suggestions (please be somewhat serious), would be welcome.
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

I see a military structure for some reason with older 'wiser' members being Captains, lieutenants and the like. In keeping with the limited membership, I'd say that there's an adept training program involved within KE that trains adepts to fill positions within the magical group as members of the group are killed/retired/unable to perform their duties.
Chocolate sauce on a buttery nipple. *Bliss*
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

Secrecy would be good, maybe access to Martial Arts teachers with reduced prices.
Reika

Post by Reika »

I don't think I'm going to go the obedience and secrecy routes, because with obedience someone may give an order that conflicts with an order given by Ares, then the person is screwed. They do have something of a rank structure, but it's mainly based on their ranks in Ares. As for secrecy...well they want adepts to join. Granted they don't advertise on the company BB announcing they're looking for people, but it's fairly well known that there's a magic group for adepts.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

In which case I would suggest Obedience as a stricture big time. Ares is offering access to this group at a reduced cost, over all, for adepts, etc... to initiate, at the very least what would they want in return?

Loyalty. So in my book obedience is a real concern. Even doubly so for corporate employees. Now this could lead to a conflict of intrest-obviously. That to me is a plot hook for you as a GM, but not really as erious concern since this group is basically Ares sponsored, and well why would they give the nod to somebody who could be adversarial in nature? (Unless this a Universal Brotherhood type group that manages to pull the wool over their eyes.)

If you disgard secrecy then you have the chance to really spice it up-kind of like a corporate blitzball team, or a real big dangerous SCA-something like that. Giving it the feel of a sporting event could give you competitiveness A good reason to learn and get new stuff is to stay ahead) and comadrie (We don't hate each other, we're just competitive.) while still allowing some darker stuff if needed. (Yeah we eat new born babes by the full moon, but it feels so good!)

Hope that helps.
Reika

Post by Reika »

Actually, that did help alot, Paul. I thought the other strictures I had would've covered it, but it doesn't seem that way. I'll add obedience, but I still don't like secrecy, not that there can't be a secret group, but what I had in mind isn't. And I'm not the GM, I'm a player trying to work up a group for the GM. He wanted color, and I'm not quite sure how to do that with a corp sponsored group.