SR guns in RL

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
CykoSpin
Wuffle Master

SR guns in RL

Post by CykoSpin »

Most SR players probably know that the vast majority of guns in SR are based on guns that exist now. What many of you might not know is that some of them ARE guns that exist now.

For instance, the FN 5-7C is simply a selective-fire rip-off of the FN Five-seveN pistol, but that one's way too easy; let us move on to things a bit more vague.

The Steyr TMP is a real gun, and I must add, a personal favorite of mine.

The Beretta 101T is a real pistol, and has been for some time (it's the "official" name for a certain model of Beretta, although I can't remember the exact one at this moment - I wanna say that it's one of the "Cougar" or "Cheeta" models).

While there isn't actually an AK-97, there is an "AEK-971". However, it is still in development (as of the last I've heard of it), so this may be a temporary designation; "E", for "experimental" (the U.S. uses "X"), is a fairly common designation for firearms in development, so it may end up being officially dubbed the AK-971 (or even the AK-97). On a minor side-note, I had originally renamed it the AK-107 for my SR games, and that, too, exists in RL.

I'm sure there were more, but I originally dug this stuff up sometime last year and I'm suffering a severe mental block right now.
_SURPRISE! I don't like you!
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Walther WA2000 is based on a real-life sniper rifle as well.
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
BaronJ
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by BaronJ »

Isn't there a Barret sniper rifle nowadays as well? Not exactly the 141 that SR has, but something similarly sickeningly expensive with super-good accuracy?

I dunno.. maybe i'm just makin this shit up as I go.
BaronJ

Doctor Steel for World Emperor
http://doctorsteel.com
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

BaronJ wrote:Isn't there a Barret sniper rifle nowadays as well? Not exactly the 141 that SR has, but something similarly sickeningly expensive with super-good accuracy?
Yup, Barrett make a number of heavy sniper/anti-material rifles that are chambered for .50 caliber rounds. Linage. Can't say anything about their levels of accuracy though.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Re: SR guns in RL

Post by Raygun »

CykoSpin wrote:The Beretta 101T is a real pistol, and has been for some time (it's the "official" name for a certain model of Beretta, although I can't remember the exact one at this moment - I wanna say that it's one of the "Cougar" or "Cheeta" models).
Cougars are the 8000 series, the Cheetahs are the 80 series. The Beretta Model 101 was a version of the Model 71 "Jaguar" .22 LR pistol with a 6" barrel and adjustable sights. Not much like the Shadowrun version. A Brazilian company called Taurus makes a copy of Beretta's Model 96 with target sights and other minor differences called the Model 101.
While there isn't actually an AK-97, there is an "AEK-971". However, it is still in development (as of the last I've heard of it), so this may be a temporary designation; "E", for "experimental" (the U.S. uses "X"), is a fairly common designation for firearms in development, so it may end up being officially dubbed the AK-971 (or even the AK-97). On a minor side-note, I had originally renamed it the AK-107 for my SR games, and that, too, exists in RL.
The odds of the AEK-971 being called the AK-97 are very, very slim. The AEK-971 is a product of the Kovrov Machanical Plant, under the supervision of Sergei Koksharov. Incidentally, it uses the same type of "balanced automatic" gas operation as the AK-107. The AK-107 is manufactured by the Kalashnikov bureau of the Izhevsk Machine Tool Plant, a company with a definite institutional bias. Thus, the AK-107/108 has a much better chance of being accepted as a military arm.

Other than that, the Izhmash-manufactured AN-94, a much more advanced rifle design, has already been type classified and accepted for military service. At this time, the Russian government does not have the finances to purchase a new rifle for the bulk of the military forces, so all but SPETsNAZ are pretty much stuck with their AK-74Ms.
Last edited by Raygun on Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
It's all about crystal meth and Gwar. - Hauze
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

By-the-way, Ray, lovely site you have there.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

FlakJacket wrote:
BaronJ wrote:Isn't there a Barret sniper rifle nowadays as well? Not exactly the 141 that SR has, but something similarly sickeningly expensive with super-good accuracy?
Yup, Barrett make a number of heavy sniper/anti-material rifles that are chambered for .50 caliber rounds. Linage. Can't say anything about their levels of accuracy though.
I want that little one at the bottom... that would be a hell of a thing to use when the IRS shows up.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Accuracy is pretty high actually. The size of the rounds and velocity cut down on wind effects. Only problem is they have a slow rate of fire. The kickback on the rifles is incredible.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Really, rate of fire is no big deal, as I'd be shooting their car.

And kickback, yeah, that would take a lot of getting used to.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

Ancient History wrote:By-the-way, Ray, lovely site you have there.
Thanks. Right back at you. :)
CykoSpin
Wuffle Master

Re: SR guns in RL

Post by CykoSpin »

Raygun wrote:The odds of the AEK-971 being called the AK-97 are very, very slim. The AEK-971 is a product of the Kovrov Machanical Plant, under the supervision of Sergei Koksharov.
Yeah, I thought as much. I hadn't really heard much about the AEK past its name and some design specs; it was just an out-on-a-limb thing I felt I'd toss out.

Also, I'd like to point out that the basis for this thread is weapon designs in Shadowrun that actually exist today, not weapons in Shadowrun based upon existing weapons (if it were, I could have easilly covered an entire page with my first post).
ak404 wrote:Walther WA2000 is based on a real-life sniper rifle as well.
Actually, the SR version is called the 'Walther MA-2100'; the Walther WA-2000 is the real-life sniper rifle, and a personal favorite of mine, I might add.
Brineshrimp
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Brineshrimp »

Holy shite! Raygun is here at BD?!? I never thought I'd see the day. :)

Welcome!

I wonder what other DSFers we can corrupt? ;)
This is my signature. Enjoy
God gave us a penis and a brain, but only enough blood to run one at a time.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

He's been around for a while...
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Brineshrimp
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Brineshrimp »

Oh sure. Just spoil my surprise. Bitch. ;)
This is my signature. Enjoy
God gave us a penis and a brain, but only enough blood to run one at a time.
Nexusvoid
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Nexusvoid »

The Browning Hi-Powers listed in several of the SR1 books are in existance today, and have been for awhile.

Too bad Browning discontinued them and stopped making parts. :/ Finding well-made replacements is a pain in the balls.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Well speaking of Shadowrun guns in real life, slapping a Fire Selector System on a Glock - as witnessed in this video - gives you the equivalent of/better than the Thunderbolt or Savalette Guardian. It's things like these that really do bring out my munchy side. :D
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Raygun that avatar is hilarious. You rule. Oh and nice Intel website too...
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

Nexusvoid wrote:The Browning Hi-Powers listed in several of the SR1 books are in existance today, and have been for awhile.

Too bad Browning discontinued them and stopped making parts. :/ Finding well-made replacements is a pain in the balls.
I thought the Browning pistol in SR1 was called Max-Power (I know it is in SR2 and SR3). Just given the name, it and the Ultra-Power (ala SSC) would probably be revisions of the Hi-Power design. The Hi-Power was John Browning's last firearm design. It was introduced posthumously by Fabrique Nationale (the company Browning was working for at the time) in 1935. Five years before Germany jacked up Belgium.

FN still makes and sells several versions of the Hi-Power today, they just stopped selling them under the Browning name (which FN also owns). Coincidentally, Charles Daly recently announced that they'll be selling a low-cost copy of the Hi-Power in the near future. There's a small group of dedicated Hi-Power parts manufacturers out there (FN actually licensed Cylinder & Slide's SFS trigger), and their business is liable to pick up on account of Charles Daly.
Serious Paul wrote:Raygun that avatar is hilarious. Your rule.
Nah, Brak rules. All hail Brak! ;)
Oh and nice Intel website too...
Thanks. It's kinda content-free at the moment, but it should be much cooler in the months to come.
Nexusvoid
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Nexusvoid »

Raygun wrote:I thought the Browning pistol in SR1 was called Max-Power (I know it is in SR2 and SR3). Just given the name, it and the Ultra-Power (ala SSC) would probably be revisions of the Hi-Power design. The Hi-Power was John Browning's last firearm design. It was introduced posthumously by Fabrique Nationale (the company Browning was working for at the time) in 1935. Five years before Germany jacked up Belgium.
Weird. I could have /sworn/ that the Hi-Power was in one of the SR1 books. But, I just checked Shadowtech, and only the Max-Power and Ultra-Power are listed. Maybe it was a fiction novel.
FN still makes and sells several versions of the Hi-Power today, they just stopped selling them under the Browning name (which FN also owns). Coincidentally, Charles Daly recently announced that they'll be selling a low-cost copy of the Hi-Power in the near future. There's a small group of dedicated Hi-Power parts manufacturers out there (FN actually licensed Cylinder & Slide's SFS trigger), and their business is liable to pick up on account of Charles Daly.
I knew someone else owned Browning, and by default, the manufacturing rights for the Hi-Power. I just didn't know they were still making them. You just made my day, Raygun. :)
_
CykoSpin
Wuffle Master

Post by CykoSpin »

FlakJacket wrote:Well speaking of Shadowrun guns in real life, slapping a Fire Selector System on a Glock - as witnessed in this video - gives you the equivalent of/better than the Thunderbolt or Savalette Guardian. It's things like these that really do bring out my munchy side. :D
I don't know about that; the Thunderbolt and Guardian fire what would be the equivalent of (at least) a 10mm Auto cartridge, which is far more powerful than the Glock 18's 9x19mm chambering. However, I do see where you were going with that.
Buzzed
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Buzzed »

Raygun wrote:
Ancient History wrote:By-the-way, Ray, lovely site you have there.
Thanks. Right back at you. :)
Ditto. The Dumpshock invasion continues.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Pfft. Raygun is an old hat. :)
</font>