3278's Perfect Game

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

3278's Perfect Game

Post by Adam »

Of course, my ideal system is so pathetically simple it defies explanation: I would use percentages for everything, and statistical analysis of real life analogues to determine the guidelines for that probability. For instance, you take someone with an average amount of firearms training out to a range and have him shoot at moving targets at varying ranges. Then you take a beginnner out and do the same thing, and an expert. There's your basis for probability. The idea is - for me - to leave the math to the game designers, and leave the players with nothing ruleswise to do but compare results and add or subtract simple modifiers. I don't know if it would work, and I certainly don't know any game designers with the time and money to go through the hassel of finding out all these probabilities, but it's my ideal, and I'm sticking to it.
Let's discuss this for a bit. What does everyone think about 3278's idea?

1. As mentioned, the difficulty and time in determining the probabilities. How do you decide [scientically, using live subjects] how hard it is to fire a gun at a moving target while jumping off of a building? You don't, so you're back to the same guesstimation work that developers for any other RPG use. How do you decide the base physical effect of a piece of Black IC attempting to damage you neurally? What about magic?

2. Inflexible - the system would be "realistic," and for many games and styles of playing, that's not desirable.

Thoughts?
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

Well...it sounds rather like a version of Chaosium's old system, 'cept that was mainly skills-based. I dinnae ken how damage would be recorded with percentages (your elbow is 33% disabled, and your are losing 2% of your blood each second), nor how one would feasibly add certain supernatural and science-fiction elements which we gamers do know and love.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Most of you already know this about me, but I don't buy into super realistic games. I play to do things I can't do in the real world. Some of those things include swords and spells and monsters, others involve guns and explosives.

I really don't want the real world and how it works to interfere with cool stuff in a story.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Bethyaga
Knight of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Bethyaga »

Well, and as described, it only discusses pass/fail situations. How would it handle degrees of success/failure?

Maybe we could create some sort of bell-curve of results that center over the expected performance level. Maybe?

;)
_Whoever invented that brush that goes next to the toilet is an idiot, cuz that thing hurts.
Brineshrimp
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Brineshrimp »

As both Adam and 32 stated, modifiers would be added for ccertain situations. But what does one base said mods off of?

You could set "standard" mod levels:

Simple: Little physical exertion, yadda yadda. +10%

Moderate: Some running, heavy winds, being shot at, etc. +20%

Difficult: Jumping off a building and crashing through the window of the building next door. +30%

Did that make sense?
This is my signature. Enjoy
God gave us a penis and a brain, but only enough blood to run one at a time.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Brineshrimp...As for that Difficult thing...that reminded me of Matrix...and Trinity.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Brineshrimp
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Brineshrimp »

My character (hitman, phys-ad) pulled it off to lose his pursuers. I guess they weren't too happy about someone shooting their boss. Some people just can't take a joke.
This is my signature. Enjoy
God gave us a penis and a brain, but only enough blood to run one at a time.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Ehm...so basically we're talking about the Call of Cthulhu system?
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

CoC. The game where your best combat skill is "Run" and "Spot Hidden"--though the latter can also be your downfall...

"Shhh! Do you smell something?"

"Eewww... Sticky, slimy and smelly... You go first."
---------------------------------------------------------------------
[blur]It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --Andre Gide[/blur]
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Feh! Summon up Hastur once or twice and show them spawnlings what a hot time in the old town is.

Of course, then it's lobotomy time...
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Cazmonster wrote:Feh! Summon up Hastur once or twice and show them spawnlings what a hot time in the old town is.

Of course, then it's lobotomy time...
Nah, you stash 'em in a friendly insane asuylum so you can go prod them for aswers as a kind of walking encyclopedia. :)
Brineshrimp wrote:My character (hitman, phys-ad) pulled it off to lose his pursuers. I guess they weren't too happy about someone shooting their boss. Some people just can't take a joke.
Tell me about it. You burn down someone's main industrial complex and they take it personally. Adepts with Great Leap and Freefall rock. Nothing like seeing the GM's face when he's forgotten you have those powers and effortlessly jump that 8 metre tall monowire security fence to lose the pursuit he's set on you. :D
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.