1974 review of D&D

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

1974 review of D&D

Post by Adam »

This has made the rounds of tons of sites already [Wil Wheaton - yeah, that one - submitted it to Slashdot ;-)] but it's still relatively interesting. It's a 1974 review of Dungeons and Dragons.

One thing never changes: gamers always bitch about the price of books. ;-)
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

That is indeed interesting. It's probably a good thing that apparently no one put too much stock in it. :D
Lord Death Hand
No-Life Loser

Post by Lord Death Hand »

I'm assuming this is for D&D 1st ed. (Talk of pamphlets made me think this). How many years after 1st ed. did 2nd ed. come out? I mean if it was't long after this article maybe the developers did put some stock into these guys opinions.
I am the evil monkey what lives in your nuts.

Lick my butt and suck my balls, America FUCK YEAH!
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

From Wikipedia:
D&D has gone through several revisions. The first edition featured just a few character classes and monsters. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (AD&D) was published between 1977 and 1979, and greatly expanded the character classes, monsters and spells. In 1980, Dungeons & Dragons was republished as a simplified version of the game. During the late 1980s, AD&D Second Edition was published, which revised the rules again, consolidating the character classes, and revising the combat system somewhat.
Jackal
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Jackal »

So this is how "wargammers" see us "roleplayers". ;)
_
“Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.”
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

So this is how "wargammers" see us "roleplayers".
Well..... In 1974. :)

Quick historical fact for those who never thought about it before.... the point systems, grid systems, etc that minitures games use were originially developed by the US Military War College.

I remember the first time I played Battletech, and my dad says "Yeah, I remember using that system in 1964". :)
Jackal
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Jackal »

They had battlemechs in 1964? Damn, the govenment is better at keeping secrets than I thought. ;)
_
“Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.”
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Well they had what, 17 years or so since the Roswell crash to figure out and start reverse engineering that alien tech. :roll
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.