A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

So. What's coming out in 2003 that everyone is interested in?
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

Has been so out of the loop for the last six months that he has no idea what's coming out this year, unless Adam personally mentioned it on DSF or Bulldrek.
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.
Toryu
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Toryu »

Dragons of the 6th world!

*drools*
"What is it about blogs, forums and LiveJournal that just invite stupid fights, Davan? Is acting like an ass a clause in the user agreement?"
Elldren
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Elldren »

I was kinda hoping WW might put out a Sidereal splatbook for Exalted, but I don't have any idea of what their release schedule is. Other than that, there's a short list of computer games and Games Workshop items that I'm looking forward to (MOO3, plastic Cadians, Star Wars, well, everything).

I'm getting the impression that Adam is dropping hints.
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

<font size=-2 color=#5c7898><i>For, to seek for a true defence in an untrue weapon, is to angle on the earth for fish, and to hunt in the sea for hares.[/i] -- Robert Silver, <i>Paradoxes of Defence</i>, 1599</font>
Adam

Post by Adam »

No hints; I'm just curious. I was actually thinking "Gee, I can't think of anything I'm /really/ looking forward to this year." so I was hoping some people would have eyes on things that I've glossed over.
Toryu
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Toryu »

Oh, and Das Schwarze Auge's Götter und Dämonen, of course!

*drools some more*
"What is it about blogs, forums and LiveJournal that just invite stupid fights, Davan? Is acting like an ass a clause in the user agreement?"
Kwyndig
Grand Marshall of the Imperium
Location: The Orbiting Volcano Lair, high above the surface of Bulldrek

Post by Kwyndig »

Um, from what I've heard, the Sidereal and Abyssal books are this year's two hardcovers for Exalted.

*Really needs a kitten dance smiley, but no time.*

Anyway, I'm looking forward to:

GURPS Uplift 2/e
All that BESM stuff (like Dungeon and Uresia) that you didn't work on... And everything else from GoO, of course
Those aforementioned Exalted Books

I'm looking forward to buying another grand worth of books this year, even if I have to go d20. (Or, perhaps, GoO d20...Image)
kwyndig@yahoo.com This sig for rent, reasonable rates
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Hopefully Steam & Sorcery :D
Completion of an indy project by two friends of d20 Macross based off d20 Modern

Other than anime titles, think that's about it.
_
"Are you alright?"
"I'm a little fucked up in general so its hard to tell."
Havoc
Tasty Human

Post by Havoc »

I'm definitely awaiting BESM d20 so I can see GoO's take on classless d20.

The revised editions of the D&D core books are also high on my list; I use the system regularly and I want to see what changes they made as well as whether they correspond to the house rules I've seen used all over the place.

Aside from that, not much else... I'll certainly be looking out for small-time companies in the GenCon publishing period - there's always a jewel hidden somewhere in there (Little Fears a prime example) and they're fun to root out.
Havoc out.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Kwyndig wrote:All that BESM stuff (like Dungeon and Uresia) that you didn't work on...
Funny, I could swear I just spent the last two and a half days putting the final touches on the interior of Uresia. . . ;-)
DocRedfern
Tasty Human

Re: 2003

Post by DocRedfern »

Adam wrote:So. What's coming out in 2003 that everyone is interested in?
All sorts of Demony goodness, oh yes.
--
Patrick O'Duffy
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Jestyr in 39 days.

Oh...you meant gaming books. In that case... the upcoming Shadowrun books, Classic Battletech, Demony goodness, and hopefully the Dragonlance setting for 3rd ed.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

Cash wrote:
Jestyr in 39 days.
Poor Cash... Jes is in the closet and Cash knows but is still hoping...

I'm not sure what's coming out, in particular, but I'll probably get the revised D&D, possibly Dragons of the Sixth World (if I still have an SR group at that point, and money to buy it with), and I'm looking forward to a computer-type games... but in general I don't have most of what I want that's already out, and I'm more likely to pick up some of the older stuff than anything new.
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
Icepick
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Icepick »

Well, I wouldn't mind seeing more on the dragons, especially the greats, and I've got patience. Fallen Tower:Las Vegas comes out pretty soon.
_
"If you stand to reason, you're in the game
The rules are elusive but all pieces are the same
if one goes down, we all go down as well
The balance is precarious as anyone can tell
This world's going to hell"
-Bad Religion, "Kyoto Now"</hr>
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

DocRedfern wrote:
All sorts of Demony goodness, oh yes.
Seconded!
Cash wrote:Jestyr in 39 days.
:aww
Last edited by Jestyr on Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
spudman
Bulldrekker

Post by spudman »

Interested in Dargons of the Sixth World to see how much work the poor editors had to put in to fix my crap. Heh.
Maelwys
Tasty Human

Post by Maelwys »

I'm looking forward to the new BT Classic and Shadowrun books, as well as any LRG products that come out for Earthdawn. Hopefully Scourge Undending will appear soon <drool> (though the cover could use some work, sigh).

It looks like both classic BT and Shadowrun have some nice products coming out, and will be interesting to see how they work out.

Dragon's of the Sixth World may get heavily read, if just to check out how it fares agaist the ED Dragons book :)
Pistons
Bulldrekker

Post by Pistons »

spudman wrote:Interested in Dargons of the Sixth World to see how much work the poor editors had to put in to fix my crap. Heh.
Aww. Couldn't have been that much, even with all the drafts. :)
_<font size=1>`Ay,' he said. `folks should do their own fuckin', then they wouldn't want to listen to a lot of clatfart about another man's.'
- Oliver Mellors, <i>Lady Chatterley's Lover</i> </font>
Psykoguy
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Psykoguy »

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth!!!
------------------------------
Highlander was a documentry, and it was filmed in real time!
Jackal
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Jackal »

Lets see....

For D&D3e: Arms and Equipment Guide, Fiend Folio, Unapprochable East, Races of Faerun.

Of course Dragons of the Sixth World though I'm behind on getting any new Shadowrun books.

For Battletech the Battletech Companion (which I though was going to be called the Mechwarrior Companion...), Map Set Compilation, Project Pheonix Technical Readout.

That's about it for now. Not a lot of interest any many other games at the moment though I'm sure that will change over the course of the year.
_
“Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.”
Adam

Post by Adam »

Jackal wrote:For Battletech the Battletech Companion (which I though was going to be called the Mechwarrior Companion...)
WizKids didn't want FanPro using MechWarrior as the name for the BT RPG, since WizKids has MechWarrior: Dark Ages, so FanPro had to rename MechWarrior. "The Classic BattleTech RPG" it is. . .

[Funny thing - the companion is going to be printed before the core book is, so as it stands "The Classic BattleTech RPG" doesn't exist in published form, but the Companion to it does. Ah, corporate hijinx.]
Roadspike
Tasty Human

Post by Roadspike »

Well lets see here:

GW stuff: Plastic Cadians, Codex Daemonhunters and the associated models (Grey Knights... *drool*), and hopefully new (and BIG) Loyalist Terminators.

Shadowrun Stuff: Just about anything that comes out. Mmmm... Shadowrun.

Wizkids stuff: MechWarrior Fire For Effect... some bloody cool figs, and some cool new rules. Also, some stuff that hasn't come out yet, and I can't really talk about (NDAs, don'tcha know), but will be exceedingly cool.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

GW Stuff: Squats and Zoats, like every flippin' year.

Flying Crockery: Steam and Sorcery ;)
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

To be perferctly honest, this likes like a perfect year to save my gaming book cash for a few choice selections at GenCon and put the rest towards my computer. Other than Project Phoenix for CBT, most of the CBT and SR material looks so-so or worse. No offense to those working on it, but the subjects covered just looks really....boring. Then again, my interest in SR took a nose dive after reading YOTC. Flying fucking manta rays. Ghostwalker's section brought a glimmer of hope, but SURGE killed all hope. It's easier to just set your hopes low for SR or ignore most of the new products. Less homicides that way. Though I'll admit some hoping against hope for SOTA.

CBT has some interesting prospects on the horizon, looking closer to the end of this year and the beginning of next. The Scourge book Maelwys mentioned has definitely peaked my interest, as it's the first I've heard of it. Though honestly I haven't paid much attention to it. I'm real curious for the next installment for Delta Green, though I haven't found much info, just a few mentions. Looks like a banner PC game year, so the money will go there instead.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Adam

Post by Adam »

*scratches head*

The Shadowrun books due out this year are so far away from Year of the
Comet in style and coverage, it's not even funny. Okay, so you may not dig on Dragons, but Loose Alliances, Sprawl Survival Guide, Mr. Johnson's Little Black Book, the long awaited Shadows of Asia?

Production hiccups aside, I think 2003 is shaping up to be a really interesting year for Shadowrun - without those stupid furries.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Shadows of Asia...

Cazmonster is suddenly interested as he could finally create Hideo, the baddest ass ninja in all of cyberpunk.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

Jeff Hauze wrote:Then again, my interest in SR took a nose dive after reading YOTC. Flying fucking manta rays.
Wonders if Jeff felt that way about them in Earthdawn...
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Adam wrote:[snip]but Loose Alliances,
Loose Alliances? Explain yourself Jury.

Is this just a different/working name for one of the other books- e.g. Flashpoint: Pacific Northwest- or a completely different book that's being considered? And as for finally getting round to Asia, well. :D Hopefully it will do well resulting in some of the other thought of geographical locations 'Shadows of...' books being done. :roll
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Reika

Post by Reika »

Like many others I'm looking forward to D&D stuff, namely Arms and Equipment, Races of Faerun, Savage Species and even D&D 3.5.
Adam

Post by Adam »

FlakJacket wrote:
Adam wrote:[snip]but Loose Alliances,
Loose Alliances? Explain yourself Jury.

Is this just a different/working name for one of the other books
It's the still tentative but likely to be used name for the "organizations" book formerly known as "SixthWorld.org"
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Aaahh. I'd actually forgotten about that one in all the shuffle. What type of organisations were/are being considered for it? Most I remember about it from ages back was that it was for non-Megacorporation groups like the Draco Foundation. Can't remember what, if any, other types might have been mentioned at the time. :/
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Draco Foundation type organizations, policlubs, possibly religions.. it's still very wide open, I believe.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I am looking forward to gaming stores that carry SR products again. Then I will buy EVERYTHING.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Why wait? Just go postal. Or do you mean as in stores having new releases to buy?
The 86 Rules of Boozing

Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

I've found it somewhat difficult to convince local game stores that Shadowrun is still alive and kickin' - even (particularly!) ones who already stock WizKids products.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Most of the stores in the area, even Grand Rapids lost Shadowrun in the distributor shuffle
Adam

Post by Adam »

Salvation122 wrote:I've found it somewhat difficult to convince local game stores that Shadowrun is still alive and kickin' - even (particularly!) ones who already stock WizKids products.
Then your local game stores are being stupid. Tell them to call Fast Forward Entertainment - contact information is <a href="http://www.fastforwardgames.com/aboutffwd.cfm">here</a>.
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I feel sorry for you guys. My store has a copy of every new release waiting for me on the day of, everytime.

Although, he doesn't follow his own info too closely. His information listed the reprint of "Magic in the Shadows" as a new release, and he didn't notice he already had two on the shelf when he ordered his normal "new book" shipment.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Adam: Stupid wins in one word. I even have handed all that contact information. Most of them feign intrest in what I say and most likely toss the slip. Which sucks.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Adam wrote:*scratches head*

The Shadowrun books due out this year are so far away from Year of the
Comet in style and coverage, it's not even funny. Okay, so you may not dig on Dragons, but Loose Alliances, Sprawl Survival Guide, Mr. Johnson's Little Black Book, the long awaited Shadows of Asia?

Production hiccups aside, I think 2003 is shaping up to be a really interesting year for Shadowrun - without those stupid furries.
That's nice to hear, but excuse me if I don't jump for joy. Dark and gritty seems to be a phrase that hasn't fit most Shadowrun products for quite a while. Then again, it could just be that I'm far more interested in upgrading my computer this year. Or maybe I'm just saving my cash for GenCon. You figure it out Canuck. :P
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

lordhellion wrote:Wonders if Jeff felt that way about them in Earthdawn...
No, I didn't. I can at least excuse flying fucking manta rays in a fantasy setting. Flying over several cities in Texas...then I just have to grab for the ashtray to burn my eyes out.

And since you're a *relative* newcomer to the crowd, and I don't post any of my fun rants on Dumpshock anymore (the disadvantages of not having enough free time), I'll let you in on a little secret Lord Hellion. I'm the local resident cynic. I'm the guy who generally likes to bash most of the SR material and dream of the "good old days" and who unfortunately finds himself buying the new material anyway. Damn those gamer geek genes. Damn them to Jersey.
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

Understood. Cynic away then. I suggest you start with me using words like "cynic" improperly. ;)
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Serious Paul wrote:Adam: Stupid wins in one word. I even have handed all that contact information. Most of them feign intrest in what I say and most likely toss the slip. Which sucks.

Ditto here (with Shadowrun and Classic Battletech). I've dropped websites and e-mail addy's before. I should keep a Shadowrun book in my car. *slaps helpless clerk with SOTA::2063* "See this? It says Wiz Kids! Want another look?" *whap!*
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Adam

Post by Adam »

Saying WizKids does more harm than help, because they go to look for Shadowrun products that WizKids publishes and find... nothing.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

I've given Wiz Kids, Fan Pro....everything but Fast Foreward (because I keep forgetting). There are some real idiots out there.
</font>