[Shadowrun] One-shot looking for players

A forum for PB3 [Play By Bulletin Board] roleplaying of any and all roleplaying games. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're playing in the subject line.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

[Shadowrun] One-shot looking for players

Post by Jeff Hauze »

I’ve had an idea floating around in my head for a few days. I’d planning to run an SR4 multi-session one-shot sometime in the next few weeks. It would be IRC based, and set in a schedule that works for myself and the players involved. Most likely, this would mean somewhere between two and six sessions (ideally, three or four) that would take place either on Tuesday through Thursday (generally free anytime from 1400 EST to 0000 EST) or Saturday/Sunday (generally free anytime from 1500 to 1900 EST).

The idea for the game is something of a competition. Each run of the one-shot would have three possible main roles. This one-shot would require a great deal of independent operation and very likely PC to PC conflict. The rough idea is a hunt. Two of the PCs are hunting the third for different reasons. Each PC would have a particular goal in mind. Accomplish that goal and you’ve got the win. I haven’t figured out exact prizes yet, but I’ll come up with something to award each of the winners from each occurrence, and an overall award for best group and best individual (this would probably be left open to voting here on the boards). Ideally, I’d like to have at least three 3 person groups to run this event for.

I won’t give too much detail away on setting quite yet, but it would be fairly experienced characters, following standard SR4 rules for character creation. Anything from Street Magic and Augmentation would be fair game, and anything that can be easily converted from SR3 would also be under consideration. I realize SR4 isn’t completely popular amongst this crowd, but if you’re interested, look past the rules. The setting would be 2070’s UCAS (non-Seattle) city, with the events taking place over no more than a few days at most. The focus here is going to be on pretty fast and furious searching and combat.

So…any takers?
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Currently, the only available roles for each round will be the following three. I'll likely have some cameo roles I'm looking to fill later.

The Prize (1) - This role will be filled by a PC whose goal is to survive and evade both of the Hunters over the given timeframe. He must successfully evade both Hunters and escape the locale the game is taking place in. Character creation will be largely unrestricted, with a few exceptions. The player will need to include certain abilities and qualities in their character (which will be revealed by the GM in private, to keep from spoiling the game). The Prize can deal with the Hunters any way he or she sees fit, but will need to keep in mind that the Hunter may not be the only opponents he or she will face. The player in this role will need to be able to think very quickly on their feet, as a great deal of this role is meant to be defined as a "one man against the world" feel. I don't intend to run an insanely rules heavy game here, so don't feel that a lack of grasp on the SR4 rules will hold you back. Also, necessary materials for SR4 character creation can easily be handled, as I have no problems with purchasing PDF files for those interested in the game.

Hunters (2) - Both of these roles will be filled by a PC whose goal is to capture the Prize alive. Character creation will be largely unrestricted here, with only one exception currently. (Again, the GM will be holding that quiet so as not to spoil anything, until he has some interested players.) The fate of the other Hunter (if encountered) is entirely in the hands of the players involved. Preferably, I'd like to see the Hunters have some slightly differing backgrounds and focus. In fact, the further apart the two are in style, the happier the GM will be. The Hunters' players may discuss characters with each other, as much as they wish, but do keep in mind that you are looking for an individual win here. While the two Hunters could certainly work together to take the Prize, the two players will likely be working for factions with very different motives here. There will be a number of issues to resolve before a cooperative capture would be possible.

Setting - Though not confirmed at the moment, it is very likely the setting for the run will be Philadelphia, UCAS, in November of 2070. (The timeframe may change there a bit, but the winter season is rather likely.)
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

You're killing me. Would love to, but don't see any openings in my schedule.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

I'll keep the idea around for a while. I've had absolutely no response on it, so it isn't likely to be run anytime soon.