[Shadowrun] OOC: Old Dogs of War Redux

A forum for PB3 [Play By Bulletin Board] roleplaying of any and all roleplaying games. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're playing in the subject line.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Okay. By June 6th, I need a completed character in my email, or a date for when you can have the character ready. I'm going to start some background posts over the weekend, and I'd like to start getting started on character introductions starting next week. If you can't have the character done by the 6th, I just need to know a date. That way, I can plan things out to work you in, before things get rolling too far along.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Regardless of the shit I've been dealing with, I actually managed to progress a bit. I'll be able to make the 6th deadline.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Will be sent to you tomorrow cause I'm an idiot and didn't write down any of the derived/modifed numbers for things and today was a busy day. For those who play CoH, sucessful STF run, w00t.

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Jeff, I'm still waiting for that response.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Grr...I'll resend it tonight when I'm home. Leaving shortly. Once again, my lovely shithole Comcast email bounced to a foreign address. I really need to remember to switch everything over to my Gmail account.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Unfortunately, I ended up down for the count the last two days with a rather nasty sore throat/cold. Sorry for the delay.

At the moment, I only have finalized characters from Scamp, Kai, and Deev. Reviews and questions on them will be coming shortly.

However, that currently puts us down on decker coverage as well as down to three characters (I'm not sure if Earl is still on board or not). For now, I'm going to put up an official wait and see notice. I've got another player I may look up, who was interested previously. I need to get either decking or magic covered. I can make the core idea work with only one, but without both...it's going to be damn tough. I'll give it a few days for the other possible player to respond. If not, this one might be stillborn.
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

If we really need some decker work, I could tweak mine to bring that in. It wouldn't be a dedicated decker, but I could squeak in enough to get by, especially in corporate systems.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Jeff Hauze wrote:At the moment, I only have finalized characters from Scamp, Kai, and Deev. Reviews and questions on them will be coming shortly.
Uh, what? I e-mailed mine. Did it get lost in the Comcast shuffle? I can resend the e-mail.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

With all the e-mail idiocy I put it online and sent him the link by PM. Might be an idea.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

I don't have anything from you yet Earl. Send it to dreadmoores@gmail.com instead. In fact, everybody can switch over to using that email. The three characters I have right now, have been reviewed and approved. Reika, I believe, will be covering the decker angle, though that character may get introduced a bit later. So, I'll start getting introductions going sometime tomorrow then.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I can't wait! :)
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

All right, sent again. Let me know if you got it or not.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

I got it. Thanks Module. Looks damn nice.

Uhh...I'm going to try and get starting posts up tonight, but it may be tomorrow. I've had a not so good day. And I will be a bit intermittent on things after next Tuesday. If you're all wondering why...then go here.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Okay, the first official introductory posts are up. I'll be getting to at least one or two more background posts up, and then slowly start introducing characters later this afternoon or overnight at work.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Okay, so introductory posts are up. I had to take a few liberties with Scamp and Module's characters, to get things to match up. Also, I really didn't have much of a physical description for Bishop, so feel free to correct whatever you need to Deev.

A notice for all. There is actually a smaller job taking place here first, then the main job, with a possible follow up small job at the end. Module, we'll probably need to stretch things a bit to fit you in on the first job, so we'll deal with that as we come to it.
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

I'll be gone most of today, so I won't have anything to post until later tomorrow sometime. I'll also have other specifics as far as our emails are concerned, Jeff.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Jeff Hauze wrote:Okay, so introductory posts are up. I had to take a few liberties with Scamp and Module's characters, to get things to match up. Also, I really didn't have much of a physical description for Bishop, so feel free to correct whatever you need to Deev.
Bishop; think Marcellus Wallace. Oh and The Orphans and The Warriors? How cool are you! By the way, I leave any other contacts that might come up to your descretion. Any details I gave in my bio are enough for me. If you want me to flesh certain people out, just let me know, I'll gladly do so. :)
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Let's talk rules of the game. I'm going to try something a bit different here from the usual PB3 format. I already mentioned previously, that skill roles will be used at times (though likely not during combat, simply for the sake of speed). But we never really dealt with Karma Pool during character creation. So, let's deal with it now.

Each character will have 2 Karma Pool available. Additional awards may be made during the game at the GM's discretion (for certain actions, a great sequence performed in character, or whatever else may strike my fancy).

Karma Pool may be used in the following ways.

1. A single Karma Point may be used to take control of the action. This of course will require close work with the GM. But spending a Karma Point will allow you a single post (if in combat, no more than one rounds worth of actions/if not, a short period of time no longer than a few minutes to be worked out with the GM) to control the action. Do keep in mind that I would strongly advise to keep your actions largely contained to yourself and any relevant NPCs, more than directly affecting other PCs (unless you're looking for some kind of heroic stunt to save a fellow PC or something along thsoe lines). I do call final judgement call on this, obviously. But it will give all the players a chance to step up and grab the stage for just a short bit, if there is something in particular they would like covered that may not have been covered otherwise. Obviously, use this option with care.

2. A single Karma Point can be spent to ensure a success on a given test. Multiple points can be used, ensuring double or triple effects (and so on). This should be pretty self explanatory. When the chips are down, feel free to pull out your ace in the hole.

3. The character's whole Karma Pool (must be at least two points) may be spent to avoid character death (albeit only temporarily). This only guarentees you a longer time to be treated, if you are already down and dying. At the player's discretion (and with GM approval), you may sacrifice your Karma Pool to ensure that you stay conscious and can perform a final round's worth of actions. However, doing so will actually shorten the time that you can be treated/stabilizied and may actually add to your existing injuries.

4. The initial two Karma Points may refresh throughout the course of the game at the GM's discretion. Don't count on this, to keep yourself out of trouble though. It may happen, or it may not.

This is the first time I'm trying something like this in a PB3 environment, so we'll see how it goes. These rules are obviously subject to change.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

*taps the mic* Is this thing on?

Anybody else still with us? I might just have a new record for the fastest death of a PB3 ever, if not. :lol
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Reika »

I'm still working on Lisa and haven't forgotten even if it seems like everyone else has. ;)
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I'm not going to be waiting for everyone to finish their characters. I'm going to continue posting, with Jeff's permission.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Nah, we're going on. Everybody's character is done, save Reika's. Which is fine, since I was planning on introducing her's a bit later anyway. Just surprised we hadn't had more responses over the weekend is all. :)
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

The contact information that was sent, what kind is it? Blake's phone-number, for instance?
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Yeah, my bad. I'll try to have something up today.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Yes, Blake's phone number is included as well, though it's primarily the info on the meet. The phone number is the same as the one listed in the post for 32.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I really dig Peter. He reminds me of the exploding man from Heroes. Crazy-cool. :)
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Waiting on the administrator to activate my account for Alleycat ;)

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I will be completely unavailable from tomorrow morning until sometime Sunday or Monday, 'cause I'm driving my daughter to Georgia [and Mammoth Caves and Smoky Mountain National Forest, camping on the way]. I suspect by then Peter will be taking a long walk, anyway. See you then.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Module: Have a good trip.

As for the rest of you, just short posts this time. My brain's a bit fried at the moment, so I'll let you folks run with the ball on the responses for now. I'll figure out some better, detailed responses a bit later tonight.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I need my fix, man.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Fix will have to wait. I was off work last night due to some rather nasty pain, and still have it today. I'm off to take a Vicodin assisted sleep time.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Fix fulfilled.

Kai: Anything else you need before the meeting? Or are you ready to move ahead to your arrival at the meeting?

Deev: I will get to your request for info on Blake. I'm currently deciding how much, if any, to reveal before the meeting (based on what your contact can find). I'll try to get to that in the next day or so.

All: I need a very specific list (posted here or via PM/email, whatever works) on what each character is taking to the meeting. Weapons/armor, how much ammo for each weapon, any comm gear, vehicles, etc. I didn't mention it in the post, but it is strongly implied that you will have time after the meeting to be able to make preparations before the first job. So you don't necessarily need to take everything with you. Keep in mind, regardless of the odd circumstances, this is an initial meet and greet for a job. So take what gear and precautions you feel are appropriate for your character's mindset.

Anything else anybody needs? I have to say, I'm thoroughly enjoying this so far. Here's to hoping we can keep the momentum going. Reika's character will be along before too long, though not anytime immediately. I have a rather specific point planned for her later entry into the group, but we will have our fifth before long.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Peter will be taking all of his gear.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

3278 wrote:Peter will be taking all of his gear.
All four? :)
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

3278 wrote:Peter will be taking all of his gear.
And somehow, I was fairly confident that I predicted this answer correctly. I cannot, for the life of me, imagine why I would think so. ;)
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Oh, that reminds me. To any of you web-saavy (savvy?) folks...anyone willing to offer up a small amount of time to get the rest of the character sheets and backgrounds gathered all in one place? It was oh so helpful for the GM in the previous game, and he'd be very appreciative.

(So damned appreciative, he might actually remember to thank you for it.)
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

If my math is good, Peter flies about 14 kph, so it'll take him about an hour to fly from Puyallup to Tacoma. He'll stop about a 300 meters away, about 20 meters above the ground then astrally perceive the building.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

DV8 wrote:I really dig Peter. He reminds me of the exploding man from Heroes. Crazy-cool. :)
I was just thinking about this, and not only is his name Peter, but he also has multiple powers, including flight and invisibility! Holy crap, I'm a hack! :lol
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Jeff Hauze wrote:Oh, that reminds me. To any of you web-saavy (savvy?) folks...anyone willing to offer up a small amount of time to get the rest of the character sheets and backgrounds gathered all in one place? It was oh so helpful for the GM in the previous game, and he'd be very appreciative.
Yeah, I can do that. Just e-mail it to me.
sinsual
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by sinsual »

Your Welcome :aww
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

I started reading your post, Module and wondered where the hell you were going with a Frommer's guide. Then I began laughing, a lot. Nicely done.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Isn't it sort of like a Lonely Planet type of guide?
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Yeah, they're about the same thing. But Frommer's has the distinction of being mentioned in the absolute comedic masterpiece known as Eurotrip. Plus he was using it for directions to fly. Double bonus.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Out of curiosity; what spell is Peter using which allows him to fly?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Levitate. With a single success, he goes just over 14kph, if I got the numbers right; speed is multiplied by successes, but 14kph is all he really feels like doing in street clothes.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Ah, cool. I didn't realise you could move horizontally with levitate.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I'd honestly never considered the possibility that you wouldn't be able to. I know you can't in D&D [where "Fly" and "Levitate" are two different spells, both clearly defined], but I have no idea whether SR's Levitate spell has such a limitation. I hope not!
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

It certainly wouldn't be as graceful as a birds flight, but Levitate Self would suffice for simple flight. The real problem of course becomes distance and drain, but that's a soluble problem.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

I'm good, I'll make a little post detailing what I'm taking with here

Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

3278 wrote:I'd honestly never considered the possibility that you wouldn't be able to. I know you can't in D&D [where "Fly" and "Levitate" are two different spells, both clearly defined], but I have no idea whether SR's Levitate spell has such a limitation. I hope not!
No, it does not have such a limitation. While the spell is called Levitate (which implies vertical movement only), it can actually be used as a form of flight. It's not exactly the speediest form of flight, but it certainly works.