[Shadowrun] OOC: Old Dogs of War Redux

A forum for PB3 [Play By Bulletin Board] roleplaying of any and all roleplaying games. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're playing in the subject line.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Jeff Hauze wrote:We'll be starting the game on the morning of October 29th, 2064.
For the anal retentive among you - okay, among us - that's a Wednesday.
Jeff Hauze wrote:If anyone is working on their character already, I'd like to get a general idea if you are finding 525 Karma to be adequate. Does it seem to make a solid veteran (though unlucky) character for you?
Sorry, I'm no help. Character too idiosyncratic. Dennis, how's it working for you?
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

He's the only example I have so far Module. :)

That's actually what made me post the question. I ran a character through very quickly myself. I think I'm a bit happier with the number of 550 to 560 Karma.

So, make a note. Characters should be using 550 to 560 Karma to be built.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

3278 wrote:Something we should keep in mind. Is anyone planning on playing a decker, or anyone connected to Shadowland? My character cannot fill any of these roles as written, but I could play a different character if necessary.
Like Scamp said, I'm hitting the decker angle, but my character concept has him being a total wash-out. BTL habit knocked him to absolute zero and he was out of the shadows for a couple years trying to clean himself up. He has past associations with Shadowland, but few in the biz that have had prior dealings with him will still talk to him, and in most circles his reputation as a liability preceeds him.

Justified? Yes. Has he changed? We'll have to play and see... ;)
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Just a note to keep in mind for all characters. Having a Shadowland character doesn't need to be the province of a decker. I know there are some characters being created that it won't work for, but having a Shadowland contact doesn't necessarily even need to be a specific contact per se. It could just be status a regular contributor.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

3278 wrote:
Jeff Hauze wrote:If anyone is working on their character already, I'd like to get a general idea if you are finding 525 Karma to be adequate. Does it seem to make a solid veteran (though unlucky) character for you?
Sorry, I'm no help. Character too idiosyncratic. Dennis, how's it working for you?
I looked it over again after Jeff told me he was kind of disappointed in what 525 karma brought me, but I think it's alright, although I am kind of adjusting what I consider to be a vet. He's got a good 8 to 10 skills, all in the 3-5 range, a nice set of attributes (nothing above a 6) and a tiny amount of gear and a few contacts. Nothing too fancy, now that I think about it. Perhaps it could use a bit of a boost.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I am officially out.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

I'll wait to see what somebody does with the 550 to 560 mark. That might get pushed just a bit higher into the 575 range. It's a shame I don't have the original old dogs info to get a comparison. I really don't think we exceeding starting characters plus 150 karma (which would make it 575), but it's possible it went as high as starting plus 200 (making it 625). I'll see what we get with 560, and will adjust from there if need to. I'll also change the due date if we need to as well.

So, as it stands now, it looks like the official crew will be lordhellion, Kai, the Module, Deev, Scamp, and Reika. Am I missing anybody?
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Reika »

So far the rough idea I have for my character is a demolitions expert (also skills with electronics and some computers), possibly even some gunsmithing. If we need a gunbunny I can always dust off another old char of mine to revamp for this game.

Edit: She's got some light cyber and bioware, nothing uber heavy.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Okay, final change here. I'm going to up the Karma points allowable to 625. You aren't required to use that many, but if you so desire, you may. I'd probably advise that you shoot for at least 575, and 600 is closer to a recommended minimum.

Also, character due date is pushed back to 05/30/07. I'd love to have everybody's character earlier, but given that the total has changed I do figure more time is in order.

I'll try and start posting some prologue stuff next week, but that could possibly get pushed back to the following week if I end up working the same overtime I am this week.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Serious Paul wrote:I am officially out.
That's too bad.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Yeah, I'm sorry to see Paul go. Then again, considering the games and battle royals he's running between here and Animalball, I'd be totally overwhelmed with his schedule. Plus he's got that whole married and kids bother. :D
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Ok, going with Jeff's most recent cast list, here's what I have as general archetypes for the players:

lordhellion - decker
Kai - pysad/social adept
3278 - aspected spellcaster
Deev - undisclosed magic type
Scamp - physical security expert
Reika - demolitions/techie

Now, I don't necessarily see anyone that's going to be especially handy once the bullets start flying, at least in the department of sending bullets back in the other direction. If we're going to need a more dedicated gun person, I'm fully willing to jump into those shoes. It looks like we'll have the whole electronics angle pretty well covered between LH and Reika, so I could jump over to a former corp security response team member or something like that. That would keep the security knowledge skills in there, but add a bit more bang-bang to the mix.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

That also could depend on how Kai builds her physad, if LH goes for a combat decker, and how Deev spends some of his remaining Karma. There's more non-combat specializied characters than in the previous incarnation of this game, granted. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, as I also don't intend quite the level of combat insanity that the previous one hand. Don't get me wrong, combat is most certainly still a factor. So feel free to adjust as you see fit, Scamp. With Earl going as a dedicated spellcaster though (and depending on his choice of spells), he certainly has the potential to bring a bit more bang than other magical types since he only has one skillset to focus on.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

I honestly don't know how combat capable she will be, will depend on points, I'm going to try for a rough pass this weekend. She won't be utterly combat useless, but her main focus will be more reading people, knowing how to relate, etc, she will likely be second string combat if you will, can be effective, but not someone you'd seek out for her combat abilities

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
Reika

Post by Reika »

Well, if it makes anyone feel better, the character I have in mind will be a mean hand with a shotgun.

But really, I don't have anything concrete in mind so if you have something you'd rather play Scamp, I'm more than happy to dust off one of my old gunbunnies.

Hmmm, that's given me an idea. I have an old street sam character (in my fact my first real SR character ever) that I never did have a chance to resolve anything with. If you want I can play her and you can have the security techie.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Peter - my character - won't have any weapons skills, but he's definitely combat-capable. He has some combat spells, and the obligatory Fireball, and while nothing is greater than Force 6, he has the Willpower to use them pretty regularly. I'd suspect he could pretty easily cast a Force 6 Stunball all day long without taking a point of Drain. That's not the same as a handgun, but he can hold his own. Add to that a couple people with a Pistols skill - much less Reika and her shotgun - and I would think we'll do okay.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

DV8 wrote:Another question; I'm planning on making my character very light on gear. Is it possible for me to keep the remainder of my starting resources as on-hand cash, instead of doing that silly divide by 10 rule that you have in SR3?
Can I get a ruling on this?
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Whoops? I thought I already responded to that. Yeah, that's fine, so long as it isn't a huge amount.
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

Jeff Hauze wrote:That also could depend on how Kai builds her physad, if LH goes for a combat decker, and how Deev spends some of his remaining Karma.
I was going to make my character combat capable, but not necessarily a quote-unquote "Combat Decke"r. I can change that easily though if everyone else is worried about us falling into firepower debt... Any votes?
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

I'm probably going to be taking my character in a slightly more combat-oriented direction. He certainly won't be a 'borged-out attack machine by any means, but will be something a bit more than the pacifist taser-flinger that I had originally imagined. Still very light on the cyber, mostly senseware with maybe boosted reflexes, but that's at the utmost. His 'heavy firepower' will be on the SMG scale - the sort of thing that you might find on a corporate security light response team.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

That's probably a good idea. Expect combat to be tactical based, but heavy weapons will certainly not be the order of the day. I don't expect to see near the level of combat found in the original Old Dogs. And considering the Module's character, I wouldn't expect too much need for heavy weapons outside of what he brings to the table. Mages built to rely on magic primarily can go an awfully long way to equalizing and/or negating heavy fire support.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

So yeah people, some of us are waiting and watching. Mmhkay?
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Characters aren't due for a bit, Paul. So unfortunately, you folks will have to keep waiting. :)

I may try to get some intro stuff up tonight though while I'm at work. Have to feed the addiction and all that. ;)
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Hey, I'm making progress, I at least found the BeCKS printouts and SR3 books and realized I've forgotten like...mostly everything...

Seriously though, trying to work through it some this weekend, again, around disc golf and Statesman's Task Force.

lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

I borke down and bought copy number four of SR3 off eBay, so that will speed up my process...
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

An update: I'm done with the number-crunch, pending approval, and I'm almost done with my background write-up.
Reika

Post by Reika »

I have the background in my head, don't really need to write it down until I'm done with the number crunching (which is killing me).
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Just wondering how everyone is making out here. Scamp, you still with us?

Anything anybody needs a hand with?
Reika

Post by Reika »

I hate all the frigging skills I'm trying to figure out. :(
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Yep, I'm still here. Concept still the same. I've got most of the numbers worked out, and a solid foundation for the background. I'm slowly working out the details.

I'm using NSRGC. Do you want me to send you the file for what I have so far to take a peek? It's numbers only at this point.
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

I have to piece together my Deck, but I'm not sure I have the 3rd Edition matrix book anywhere (that I can't remember it's name isn't a good sign), so may have to build it pretty basic. I've come to the conclusion that wherever my other Core Rulebooks are, my Companion, guns, magic, matrix, and vehicle books are all with them.

I hate building characters from the core book. Grrrr...

Also, I have to see if there's a list of edges and flaws somewhere. I know which ones I want to keep it in character, but can't remember all the point costs.
Reika

Post by Reika »

Take a look at this thread for a link to get all the SR books you need. :)
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

Ah. thank you, dear. Once again, you're infinitely helpful.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

TheScamp wrote:Yep, I'm still here. Concept still the same. I've got most of the numbers worked out, and a solid foundation for the background. I'm slowly working out the details.

I'm using NSRGC. Do you want me to send you the file for what I have so far to take a peek? It's numbers only at this point.
You can send it whenever you like, though I suppose that means I need to go download the NSRGC sometime this week. :)
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

lordhellion wrote:I hate building characters from the core book. Grrrr...
Use the NSRCG. I don't know about building a deck, because I've never tried, but it's certainly a thousand times easier than using the main book, or any books, for that matter [although they're nice to refer to].
lordhellion wrote:Also, I have to see if there's a list of edges and flaws somewhere.
NSRCG has not only every published edge and flaw, but also all those from TSS and so on. You could use the Companion, but its list is significantly less complete.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Well, initial build puts me at 501. I, uh...apparently need to be cooler. Will try for round two over the weekend, will need something to do on the plane.

Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Due to an unforseen situation on one of our players' end, there will be a delay on the character submission for that person. No current ETA on that, but we'll probably just start with some extended introductions for the rest of the characters, and play it by ear from there.
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

I'm pretty rules complete at this point. I've got a lot of the background in my head - just need to work on typing it out in a workable form. Jeff, I'm going to email you what I have for stats at this point and a rough background to give you some context for the numbers.

[edit]
Jeff, check your email.
[/edit]
Reika

Post by Reika »

I'm almost done, just down to some final number crunching and gear figuring out.

What book has the Ares Super Squirt?
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Man & Machine, p115.
Reika

Post by Reika »

Doh, the one I didn't think of. Thanks!
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Jeff Hauze wrote:Due to an unforseen situation on one of our players' end, there will be a delay on the character submission for that person.
That person would be me. I'm definitely in, but I'm dealing with a few things that take priority right now. I'll catch up as soon as I can. Thanks for everyone's understanding.
Reika

Post by Reika »

NP Deev, I was looking at lack of net for a few days with an unknown time for it to be back up, so you're not the only one. :)
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

Yeah, I hate to do this this late in the game, but I think I'm going to have to pull out. My time-management skills were already walking the razor's edge lately, and they took a full out tumble this week when I ended up crock with food poisoning for a couple days. Plus I have a show opening next week, so my time's going to become even more taxed after that.

Sorry to cash out so late, hope you guys have a good game.
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

I am definitely still in. I will, however, be incommunicado for the next 48 hours or so. Moving tomorrow, and the fiber installation isn't until Friday.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

It's all good. I'm still waiting on a few characters actually.

Hellion, sorry to see you go.

Scamp, for whatever reason, I just got your email today...even though it was dated well before that. I'll take a look at it and get back to you shortly, should be before you're back online.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I'm well done, but it occurs to me I haven't actually sent the character to you. I'll see if I can remember to do that.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

In the midst of transcribing a bunch of paper notes into a legible character :)

TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

...and I'm back.

Good to hear that you got the email, Jeff. I sent it almost a week ago, and was starting to wonder. :)
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Yeah, btw, if anyone is sending me an email, leave me a PM or post here to let me know. My home email has been incredibly fucked up the last 10 days about timely delivery. Apparently, the national data center for Comcast decided to migrate servers without telling anyone. And then wondered why people started having email problems, when they didn't redirect to the new server properly.