[OOC][DnD] Ancient's Game

A forum for PB3 [Play By Bulletin Board] roleplaying of any and all roleplaying games. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're playing in the subject line.
Ancient History
Demon

[OOC][DnD] Ancient's Game

Post by Ancient History »

'cause it seems like a good idea to actually have a thread here.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Okay who all is in here?

I am intrested in playing either a Thief or maybe a Fighter/Thief combo.

I do however have a great cleric idea as well.
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Reika »

I'm currently making a half-celestial paladin of Lathander. Technically drow, however I'm using the base elf (modified to have dark vision instead of low light, favored class cleric instead of wizard) rules wise.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Okay, I have:

Players Handbook
Arms & Armor
Unearthed Arcana
Oriental Adventures
Draconomicon
Epic Level Handbook

Anything else anyone would recommend? I'm looking for additional races; which books besides Races of Faerun and Races of Stone have additional races in them?

Ancient, do you have any hints as to what kind of game this might be? I'd rather not play a halfling Bard in a dungeon ["Will you stop singing? Now the drow know where we are!"] or a half-orc Barbarian in a sordid tale of political intrigue ["Why you play games? He is your enemy. Eat him!"].

I'm thinking about playing a girl. Don't know yet.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Alright, I give. I have the PHB, Races of Faerun, and uh, well anything I damn well please of Mante Cook and/or Sword & Sorcery. I'll think of something.

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
Ancient History
Demon

32: No hints, sorry. I have six different potential plots dependant on what PCs look like. Pick something adaptable, endurable for the rigors of play, and fun.

Reika: When you finally get around to fleshing out stats, I'm afraid I'll have to insist on you using drow stats...no "modified elves."

Kai: Please keep rule-book rules in mind. No Swords & Sorcery stuff. Sorry if that'sa drag, but I can pass you any info you might need from the various books we'll be using.
Reika

Post by Reika »

I think I might be making something else, drow are ECL 2 and half-celestial are ECL 3, which puts the char way over the limit. I'll get back in touch about the char.
Ancient History
Demon

For all those forget, the WotC website is fair, including these, which may be of especial interest (in case you've lost it, Reika):
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Where can I find more information about the "Character Level Modifier?"
Ancient History
Demon

They've called it by a few different names, I should probably be using the correct term:P :

The Level Adjustment should be no greater than +4. Check out the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, Races of Faerun, Expanded Psioncis Handbook, ...um, I think there's something on it in Unearthed Arcana, somewhere.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

32 we should get togethter and discuss characters. You also have way more books than me.
JohnnyRico
Wuffle Student

Post by JohnnyRico »

Question!

Stat rolling rules:
Which ones are we using? 3d6? 4d6 drop lowest? 3d6 with rerolls under five?
"I have a conundrum for you. A riddle if you will. What's the difference between you, and malard with a cold? I don't remember how it ends, but your mothers a whore." -"Sean Connery" Celebrity Jeopardy- SNL
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Are there still slots here? Is this even a PB3 game?
Ancient History
Demon

4d6, drop lowest. You can re-roll your character if the highest attribute is less than 13.

Scamp, you can come in if you want to. This IS play be post.
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

JohnnyRico wrote:3d6 with rerolls under five?
Why not just roll 1d4+14? Oh, wait, you mean total less than five... :D

I'm still not in unless I'm somehow actually needed, I just like coming up with crazed concepts. And encouraging Reika. ;)
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

I haven't the foggiest idea who publishes what books that are called what, I know 3 whole books :) More that if we need them, whatever, 'them' might be, that's what I know I have access to :)

TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Right now, I'm considering a mounted archer/light cavalry type fighter. Either human or half-orc, I think. Ranger is a possibility as well, though I don't have 3.5 (and thus the revamped ranger stuff), and I'm not really keen on this guy having magic so much.

Also, I assume that with the +4 Adjustment, we're looking at about level 5 or so? What's the equipment allotment?
Ancient History
Demon

Your Level Adjustment may be no more than +4. Everyone starts off at 1st level, with 1st level starting cash and equipment. You can also get regional equipment if it applies.
Reika

Post by Reika »

I have Luadril's bio done! Yay me, now to do the number crunching.
Reika

Post by Reika »

Anguirel wrote: I'm still not in unless I'm somehow actually needed, I just like coming up with crazed concepts. And encouraging Reika. ;)
Okay, why do people like to encourage me into making weird ass things? Is it that amusing? :)
Ancient History
Demon

Yes <whipcrack> Mush!
Reika

Post by Reika »

As discussed in the irc channel, here's my choic for race/class/setting.

Race: Half-celestial drow
Class: Paladin
Preferred Setting: Forgotten Realms
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

So a quick summary because the depths of my player masochism tends to scare people off. One I vote for Faerun. Mostly because I like my character. Who is a half-drow/half-avariel cleric of Lathander eventually headed in a cleric/ranger direction. And not generally well adjusted being claustrophobic, moderatly agoraphobic, and mildly sociopathic. But you would be too given that sort of heritage. So, everyone else?

TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Being equally unfamiliar with any of the settings, I have no particular preference. Human mercenaries are just as likely in any of them, I presume.

I do have a couple questions... are we using 3.0 or 3.5? I ask because I might be dual classing as a Ranger, and the version will affect that. Also, if a class ability says that a character operates as if they have certain feats (like point black shot or something) can they choose advanced feats which have those other ability feats as prerequisites? (obviously, I'm thinking that the advanced feat would only be available when the 'operates as' feats are working as well).
Ancient History
Demon

Anything in 3.0 or 3.5 is fair game, but in the event of it being covered in both systems, 3.5 rules are used.
TheScamp wrote:Also, if a class ability says that a character operates as if they have certain feats (like point black shot or something) can they choose advanced feats which have those other ability feats as prerequisites? (obviously, I'm thinking that the advanced feat would only be available when the 'operates as' feats are working as well).
Yes and yes.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I too have no real preference-although I have just downloaded a lot of Forgotten Realms books....
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Ok, having looked over the whole Ranger thing in 3.5, that's definitely the route I'm going. He'll be more a military scout/outrider, as opposed to the "stay out of my forest" type. Now, all I have to do is to figure out how to pay for a horse, or think up a reason he's without one at the start of the game. Shouldn't be a real big problem either way.

Ancient, I'll have stats coming your way probably sometime tomorrow, maybe even later tonight.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

A few ranks in Handle animal + regular horse = a hell raisin', root tootin', buck stompin' demon horse in no time. :)

Is there a slot still open?
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Ancient History
Demon

Yeah, last one.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I don't care which setting we use, either; I'll be playing something of a recluse or someone fairly isolated from the society of our setting, so it ultimately won't matter to me.

I have a few character ideas; I still have to read through all these new books before I decide which route to take, but I'm thinking of playing a druid of a rare race.
Elldren
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Elldren »

Well, I suppose I should officially throw my hat into the ring as well. I'll go ahead and use the nice template Reika created for my choices (well, for right now. everything is still kinda tumbling around in my head)

Race: Avariel (I think... the situation is a complex one and I'm not sure how the genetics should work out.)
Class: Cleric of Shaundakul/Latent psychic warrior
Preferred Setting: Forgotten Realms

In any case, regarding race, the character is the child of a half elf of rarified heritage (one great grandfather is human) and a full-blooded avariel. Just to confuse everything, the character was born in the outlands. I'm not at all sure how to approach this from a rules standpoint so any help would be appreciated
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

<font size=-2 color=#5c7898><i>For, to seek for a true defence in an untrue weapon, is to angle on the earth for fish, and to hunt in the sea for hares.[/i] -- Robert Silver, <i>Paradoxes of Defence</i>, 1599</font>
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

3278:: Go with a Volodni (Unapproachable East book).

Is there any area (healing. magical support, fighting, scout, etc, etc) that we're missing? I'm willing to play damn near any class.

And I vote for FR as well...
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Ancient History
Demon

Elldren: Avariel half-elves aren't quite covered, but I'm sure we can come up with something if you expand on what you're looking for a little.
Elldren
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Elldren »

Ancient: Well, I'm not really looking for anything in particular, and that's part of the problem. I'm really just taking the offspring of one of my previous characters, and as such am approaching character creation from a nontraditional angle.
I'd be perfectly happy to treat her as a full blooded avariel for rules purposes, but if you have another suggestion, I'm open to hear it.
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

<font size=-2 color=#5c7898><i>For, to seek for a true defence in an untrue weapon, is to angle on the earth for fish, and to hunt in the sea for hares.[/i] -- Robert Silver, <i>Paradoxes of Defence</i>, 1599</font>
Reika

Post by Reika »

Can always apply the winged template to your char Elldren. Oh boy this should be interesting, about half the chars are going to be flying...

Cash - As for area that's missing, we could use arcane magic type since we're going to have plenty of divine types, or maybe another fighter type. Not sure what Paul is going for.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Winged template?

How are Psionics being treated? Same as magic? Different?
</font>
Ancient History
Demon

Depends on the setting. I prefer going for "mostly different" detect psionics and detect magic shouldn't be able to see the same damn thing; if we go for Forgotten Realms (I think we need like one more vote for a majority), I'll look at the rules and get back to you with specifics.
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Ancient: You've got mail!
JohnnyRico
Wuffle Student

Post by JohnnyRico »

For clarification of what I'm looking to add to the game:
All infomation below is subject to DM's Approval.

Name: Selreth Drevarian
Race: Doppelganger
Class: Rogue
Appearance: Elven

Preferred Setting: Well, I do have a JPG map of the Forgotten Realms world. (Thanks again Reika)
Last edited by JohnnyRico on Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have a conundrum for you. A riddle if you will. What's the difference between you, and malard with a cold? I don't remember how it ends, but your mothers a whore." -"Sean Connery" Celebrity Jeopardy- SNL
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Looks like FR, then. I'll start reading up.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Going with a 0 monster level doppleganger?
</font>
JohnnyRico
Wuffle Student

Post by JohnnyRico »

Once I can find some more information on it, yeah. Reika said that she was looking into it for me, since I have to be up rather early for a damned class in the morning. If she didn't turn up anything, I was going to talk to AH about possibly forfeiting some of the Doppelganger's abilities and powers in an effort to make it more even with a first level character.

At the moment, all I know is that I need sleep, lest I drive into a telephone pole in the morning on my way to class.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Doppleganger is in Unearthed Arcana, isn't it? Pretty sure the Level Adjustment is under four, also.

I assume we're all strangers?
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Savage Species has rules for starting monsters characters off at level 1, slowly gaining their normal monster powers until they hit their Level Adjustment, then you just start with the normal character class levels. I think there are dopplegangers in there, but I'm not sure.
Reika

Post by Reika »

I'm slowly working on the Doppleganger thing. It's mentioned in Savage Species, but no breakdowns given. As for the doppleganger stuff in Unearthed Arcana, it's a bloodline, not an actual race. I'm thinking of seeing if I can make a major bloodline instead of the race since the actual doppleganger is a total of 8 ECL, 4 HD and +4ECL adjustment.

Though if Ancient History agrees, we could drop the 4 HD and make it just a +4 ECL, leaving him with whatever HD he gets from the class, which would leave him fragile for awhile.

As for being strangers, I'm not sure. I know Kai and I worked out that our chars know each other, not sure about the rest of our merry little crew. :)
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Reika wrote:As for the doppleganger stuff in Unearthed Arcana, it's a bloodline, not an actual race.
Yep, that's right; now I remember.

Does Strange Species have more races? How about "templates?" Where do I find them?
Reika

Post by Reika »

Savage Species doesn't have more races, it just gives you a break down of how to make monsters PCs and examples. However it does have templates which changes a base creature.

Oh and Sean K Reynolds rocks, he gives doppleganger class

As well as the rapid flight feat

Here's the actual link to his site

Lots of good stuff there.
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

Go to bed! :)
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I am playing Torin Proud, a young explorer who happens to be a Halfling. I play the fiddle.

Ancient will PM my character shortly.
Ancient History
Demon

JohnnyRico: You may want to become a Changeling from the Eberron setting. Human/doppelganger mixed race, like a half-elf. It has a limited ability to change shape, good for both the Warshaper prestige class [Complete Warrior] and other classes that increase shapeshifting ability(Hell, you can even take it with the Doppelganger bloodline.)

Otherwise, I'll make a decision on the Doppelganger class tomorrow.

And, I'll go ahead and say it: Yea, the Campaign Setting Shall Be the Forgotten Realms

Naturally, we can make forays into other setting, but we'll start out in Faerun. Unless Y'all want to get together and decide how you met and where you start, I'll make the decision once I've read each of your bios.