[OOC]Streets of Rage: Baptism of Fire

A forum for PB3 [Play By Bulletin Board] roleplaying of any and all roleplaying games. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're playing in the subject line.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Okay this game is officially open.

Here is the scene, post from this starting point.

You are all on the roof of the library. Its a scroching hot day, and noon. All of you had noticed that Billy hadn't been around all morning, but suddenly he is there. Just after he appears you hear the rumble of a thunder. The thunder is hundreds of Motorcycles approaching you.

Leave off as you notice the bikes approaching. I will pick up from there with a little bit more.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Oh and Bishop, I aim to please.
Cain
Knight of the Imperium

Post by Cain »

Could I make a Gang ID roll?
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I'll get that post up in a little bit, likely later this evening. Great question though!
crone
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by crone »

Paul, I'm not too clear on what our characters know. Have we heard this rumour that people are looking for us and esp. Billy? Has Billy told us what happened at the helicopter?
Sticks
Tasty Human

Post by Sticks »

I hope I don't sound totalitarian or anything, but right now I figure we're under seige and I can put my Small Units Tactics skill to use. If anyone has a brighter idea, Sticks is open to better suggestions.
Cain
Knight of the Imperium

Post by Cain »

[edit: Damn it, need to read the IC stuff first.]

Paul: Going split perception. Also, I'm going to try and summon a force-3 City spirit. I'm using my bonus dice to offset drain.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Ares: No, you've heard nothing. This is just like every other day of your life. Well right up until its not anyways. :)

Billy has been gone all morning, and as you are up on the roof doing whatever, he appears for the first time.

[Edit] Initially anyone peering long enough at the approachinh cycles will see at least three to five recognizable gang colors:
  • The Red and Blue of the Blood Rumblers a go gang that normally controls Intercity 9.
  • The Silver and red of the Maniacs looks like the biggest of the bunch. They operate generally tot he North of you, and you guys have rumbleed with them before. Never on this scale.
  • At least some are wearing the White and Gold of the Silent P's but not many since they aren't really a go gang.
  • The green on black of the Stags a third tier go gang that has been stomped by just about everyone and their sister.
  • And finally the grey and white tiger stripes of the Zombie Brain Eaters a small all ghoul go gang.
Astrally perceiving right now, since they are still a few blocks off is a bit odd. In astral Puyallup isn't always a pleasant place, with such an abnormally high background count, but thats something you're used to now a days. You can't really pick out specific auras-but you get the emotive value of the "Mob". They're angry and crazed, in astral its like a dark cloud of emotion creeping forward as they ride on you.

Cain: Will you be using any material components in your summoning sir?

Any other questions let me know.
Cain
Knight of the Imperium

Post by Cain »

Paul: No, other than a bit of ash. I love shamans because they don't require summoning materials. He's going to do a bit of mumbling and chittering.

Forgot-- how bad's the background count where we are?
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Not bad enough to make a difference. Its more of a residual, than a real detriment. To a person who'd cast spells in say prisitine Slaish this would be a rough spot. You've been acclimatized.
Cain
Knight of the Imperium

Post by Cain »

Okay. Is it all right if I assume I don't completely botch my summoning, and go ahead and make a post as it appears?
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Hold off if you would, you'll see why. I have something in mind, but I want to wait until everyones had a chance to post initially. Your actions play nicely into what I have planned.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

You might want to wait until everybody's posted, though.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Two bodies, one brain, and I'd like it back!
Ares
Tasty Human

Post by Ares »

It's safe to assume that even though he didn't hear anything for certain, he tricked his mind into believing he did and was pointing his guns in that direction.

Now he's moving furniture, anyway.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What are you looking at?
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

Deke wrote:The others' clothes were always dusty, too, but not like Deke's; they didn't crawl around and through the wrecked skeletons of the buildings here.
I'd just like to point out that Toyman certainly crawls through the skeltons of buildings, though possibly not in the same fashion as Deke, and very likely not with him. Even so, cramped places and avoiding anything open is Toyman's way, so he'd know those building fairly well and even has the Area Knowledge to go with that. Whether Deke knows is an open question, but I figured I'd point it out. ;)
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Okay everyone slow down.

Take a deep breath. Let it out. Okay.

A few things to keep in mind here folks-and don't take this wrong I love the enthusiasm, its freakin' great. However some of you have posted three, or fourtimes to others none.

Remember a PB3 is about pacing. I realize we're all anxious to show that we're good players, but we have to make sure that where its appropriate others get the chance to post too.

Next. Be careful when using other peoples characters. Its cool to say how you feel and what you are doing, but try to refrain from too much vicarious playing. This will save us a ton of problems in the long run. I will try to not use you guys up for my own evil ends, but you have to be careful as well okay?

As Ang pointed out sometimes what your character thinks and whats reality may be different. Don't worry too much about that. Concentrate on you and your reactions to the environment around you. This is pretty hard, admittedly, in a PB3 where we have so much power to write.

I take the blame as I opened this up the wrong way. I should have set the scene better. For what it is worth you guys played it pretty damn good. I just should have given you more information-thats my fault alone. I'm sorry.

Okay all that said I am going to edit my last post prior to you guys posting. I am going to set the scene a little more. In turn feel free to edit your own posts if necassary to reflect any changes you may want to make. (I will strive to not put you in the position to have to change.)

Also I am starting a discussion in the Devils Playground on the Library thats worth reading.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Okay the hard facts:

At least one hundred or more people are visible approaching from the North using the the bridges. This means they are bottlenecked at the Southside Bridge to basically two bikes abreast.

They're breaking in three spots. East and West just behind buildings 51 and 54-which means they are offroading-and the rest are heading staright at you.

They're kicking up a lot of dust and ash. I highlighted their route

The main entrance to the Library is on Main Street. The side entrance is on McCain Ave, as is the maintenance access.

The Temperature is 96 degrees F< the winds are moving at 5 mph out of the Southwest. No rain is predicted any time soon. Traffic on Pioneer ,for any who look, is pretty damn near nonexistant.

Questions?
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Sorry every one has to wade through four pages of shit to get here.

Congratulations you're surronded. Anyone with the time to count would come up with 115 bodies-not all warm. :P Most are on bikes, but some are chained to their Dom's and etc....

The big fragger named Octane is the leader. You can throw shit at him, you can shoot at him, you can even piss on him-but don't post a "I kill him" or I'll wring your necks! :)

Any questions? Post on!

Bishop I skipped your introduction. You can still add it, or just roll with it.
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

Ok, I've got one. Can I remote activate my drones, or do I need someone to go switch them on? I can't think of any compelling reason to have the cars up on the roof with me, but I know I want at least two of them activated right now (Black Ice and Baby Thunder -- Smoke/Oil and Grenades). I figure those could give us a good fighting chance. As a heads-up, the official rules for an oil slick in Rigger3 don't cover what happens if a person tries to walk over it. There are rules with "Slip-Spray" in Man & Machine however, if you'd like a good base.

If we end up in a siege situation, how long would production of improvised explosives take for Toyman? I'm thinking, like, conversion of any alcohol or excess gas we have into molotov cocktails or whatever the best equivalent incendiary device is.

Ooo, and I want Toyman to use his drones to find which bikes use gasoline or diesel (I'd assume there's a mix of fuel cells, gas, diesel, methane and possibly an electric). Also look for Nitro injectors. Toyman's looking for good targets for causing explosions in the ranks. I'll include it in the next post I write as well that he's looking, but might as well get you thinking about it.
complete. dirty. whore.
IRC Fun:
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Anguirel wrote:Ooo, and I want Toyman to use his drones to find which bikes use gasoline or diesel (I'd assume there's a mix of fuel cells, gas, diesel, methane and possibly an electric). Also look for Nitro injectors.
How do they do that?
Cain
Knight of the Imperium

Post by Cain »

Paul: You're an EVIL mother of a GM! :lol

Okay, Hock doesn't know that the spirit wasn't summoned under his own power. He's pretty damn sure that it's a lot more powerful than he was going for, and he doesn't know how many services he has. I've got a couple of ideas, though, which all depend on how many services I have. Ideally, I'd like to have it Conceal the library (making it so people think we're somewhere else, giving us extra time), use Confusion on everyone who comes near, and then start using Accident on those coming across the bridge. Will those work?

32: Internal-combusiton engines have a different heat profile than electric. If Toyman's drones have good enough sensors, they can probably spot the difference. I have no idea on the nitro injectors, although the book seems to combine those with blowers, which would be externally visible.

Ang: Would Hock reasonably know that Black Ice has an oil sprayer?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Really? Thanks. Still, I'll be interested to see what Ang has to say.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Remote Activation: You have a remote control deck right? Even at rating 1 I believe it has the power to remotely activate the RC drones. I am assuming, because I must have missed the reference on the sheet (But they are RC Cars...), the drones have sme sort of RC system?

Your basically using the Captains Chair mode right?

I'll make sure to reread the M&M slip 'n' slide stuff so I do you justice when I post!

As for improvised explosives-well as long as you had the materials, and the tools, not terriblely long. A molotov cocktail is as simple as pouring the gas and oil into a container. Anything more complicated and we'll talk, sound good? (Eagle firebomb style stuff shouldn't really take all that long either...)

If the drones have sensors they can make an attempt at spotting the sig difference between any engines. (Here's a hint though to help....I love petrol in my world...)

Cain: I try. :)

Don't worry about the number of services, lets just say you have access to this guy until dawn rolls around.... As for thes ervices, I'll address those in my post, after I read the IC thread- haven't caught up yet.

So expect updates!
Chopper
Tasty Human

Post by Chopper »

I forgot to ask this question:

Do we get cell phone signals around here? I ask cause I have a hand held. :|

I would like to know who has a cell phone and who has a radio, so I know who I can communicate remotely with.
Tiger
Tasty Human

Post by Tiger »

Testing Testing, 1, 2.
_
I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what.
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

Cain wrote:Ang: Would Hock reasonably know that Black Ice has an oil sprayer?
Absolutely. This is the drone he's had the longest and he's used the most frequently. Everyone in the gang probably knows about it, and there's a good chance any of the gangs we've had trouble with more than once knows about it. Smoke and Oil are totally in his style of annoying the fuck out of people bothering him without actually hurting them. They're also great for helping him run away. Baby Thunder is less likely to be known by outsiders, but I'd imagine the gang knows. Anyone Toyman would use it against is probably dead. Lightning (the Rocket-Launcher car) is virtually unknown. Toyman hasn't used it yet, and mainly made it because Powderkeg (Toyman's chemist/explosives contact) got a few rockets and they decided to see if it could be done.
3278 wrote:
Anguirel wrote:Ooo, and I want Toyman to use his drones to find which bikes use gasoline or diesel (I'd assume there's a mix of fuel cells, gas, diesel, methane and possibly an electric). Also look for Nitro injectors.
How do they do that?
They use little cameras. :p The idea was that Toyman was doing the search, using the drones to aid him. It'd be a Vehicle-Knowledge type of roll. He has both Vehicle Design and Bike B/R (alothough not Background Bike B/R), so I figure he can guess which bikes use what systems and which seem to have exposed gas tanks or the like. I'd have to check the rules on sensors again for when Thermo shows up, but if that was avaialble, the heat-profile would also make a difference.
Remote Activation: You have a remote control deck right? Even at rating 1 I believe it has the power to remotely activate the RC drones. I am assuming, because I must have missed the reference on the sheet (But they are RC Cars...), the drones have sme sort of RC system?
Yes, I have a RCD 2. The cars are actually full drones, in theory, just based off of modern Radio-Control cars and custom work (so they could be somewhat deficient in some aspects, I suppose). I've never been sure if Remote-Activation was possible, or if a drone needed to be in some sort of stand-by mode or something, I may've missed or forgotten the rules for it, though.

Unless I specifically note otherwise in a post, I'll be using Captian's Chair for everything (since that makes it easy to issue an order and then jack out to do actions in the meat world). They're all Sensor 1 drones. And for the above check on the bikes, I'm going to jump into one of the roto-drones and zoom in on the bikes to get an idea of which are likely to be the most vulnerable (since it sounds like they're all likely to be petrol users).

As for the explosives... This is one of those cases where my personal knowledge is going to be a hinderance for my character (and an example of where being able to roll dice to gloss over things is really nice). Toyman knows explosives, but I personally don't. If anyone else can help me or can point me to a good resource on improvised explosives that Toyman could generate here, I'd appreciate it. About all I know are Molotovs and Pipe/Nail bombs, and not even much about those...
complete. dirty. whore.
IRC Fun:
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Cool. Thanks!
Ares
Tasty Human

Post by Ares »

Paul: Two bursts from each gun, aimed at the nearest random targets, on every action Ares has, until he needs to reload or he gets gunned down or Sticks kicks some sense into him.

He's not looking for the most menacing, he's looking for the highest body count. Resolve how you wish.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What are you looking at?
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

Shit, I did think of something I need to know... Where's Toyman's sister? Given the description of this place, I'm guessing there's no school or even a tutor that Toyman could send her to... Was she on the roof, in their room, out playing somewhere? I guess it's time we defined her a little more than just having her be his sister... :p

I left my post off at Ares first shots because I figure there's going to be a shitstorm at that point and I know Toyman isn't going to do anything right away so I want to know what the crowd reaction is, as well as the rest of the gang's reactions before I do anything else.
complete. dirty. whore.
IRC Fun:
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Now, this doesn't matter so much to me, since I've got some decent amount of free time, but are we planning on going ahead and posting, even when the rest of our team hasn't had a chance to? By my admittedly offhand count, here are the totals for actions:

Amber: 1
Ares: 3
Billy: 1
Chopper: 2
Deke: 1
Hock: 2 [+1 free action]
Nash: 1
Octane: 1 [+1 free action]
Speed: 1
Sticks: 3 [+1 free action]
Tiger: 1
Toyman: 2
UG: 1

Now, this is based on posts; in reality, we've each taken a lot of "actions" in our posts, some more than others. It seems pretty clear to me that either some people need to speed up, or some people need to slow down, or a little of both. That's unless the one-posters don't mind the people with more free time running the whole game, of course.

Thoughts?
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

Rather than posting every chance I get to the game thread, I've been combining my actions into longer posts. Sticks has been adding short reaction posts inbetween other people's posts. Either style is fine, I'm just semi-purposefully limiting myself to about one post every other day or so. I've also been taking what I would consider "multi-round" actions. If we were to split down what I've done into combat rounds, I've used up, like, 20 on actual actions since the go-gangs first appeared on the scene, mostly in putting my drone together. I don't need three posts detailing that, it's all the same stuff. Sticks has been giving orders. Those change moment-by-moment, so I can see more frequent posts for that. Basically, I don't see a problem with how things have been going. Yet. For me.

I do see a potential issue for the people unable to post more frequently -- like I said, I could have posted more, but have chosen not to. I think some people, like Bishop, may simply not have been able to jump on the boards for more than the one post he's put in. I'd say certainly those with more posts here should probably slow downa little until everyone has weighed in on the issue.
complete. dirty. whore.
IRC Fun:
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

I was just waiting to see how everybody would react to my challenge, but Ares emptying of the clip, as it were, has circumvented that. I'll put up another post tonight.
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
Sticks
Tasty Human

Post by Sticks »

I'm sorry if I seem to be running about helter-skelter, just trying to stay on top of how things are. Since Sticks isnae any good in a gun fight, I'm just coordinating until we get into melee...if we ever do.
Chopper
Tasty Human

Post by Chopper »

How does initiative work in PB3's?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

That's up to us, and Paul, ultimately. There will probably come a time when Paul decides we should roll initiative, just so we can get the order of the posts in combat right. Then we list out who needs to post in what order, and then everyone knows when it's their turn [and who we're waiting for]. If we've waited too long, I'm guessing, the GM will step in and make the post, and we'll keep moving.

That's the theory of how it's all supposed to work, as far as I know, but I've never seen it actually /done./ I think, with as many people as we have, it'd probably be a good idea to actually make up an initiative chart we could all see, and just go in order like you would on a table top. I think most of us only have one initiative die anyway. :)
Cain
Knight of the Imperium

Post by Cain »

I'm holding off for a bit until Hock can interact with the spirit some more; but the general idea is lined up and ready.

Paul: I'm going to have the spirit start by Confusing the ones closest in. I don't think Concealment is going to be much help right yet, so I'm going to hold off on that. The second action is for it to use Accident on the guys in the intersection, since that seems to be a major bottleneck for them. If a few of them crash, then that should slow the rest down a lot. Will you let me know how the spirit reacts to these commands?
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Okay.

I'll try and go in order, so I don't get confused.

Cell Phone signals are a yes, but sometimes they are sporadic. Also a hand held service would indicate one of two thinsg to me-a SIN, a legitimate calling program (Doesn't seem likely) or the alternative which is an illicit program (A phone falsely registered or using pirated "air" time.)

It sounds basically like you want walkie talkie or nextel style service for you and the gang. Is that correct? As for who has a hand set, they'll have to answer. I don't know off hand. I know you can put Billy down as a negative.

Ang: explosive wise you're pretty muchcovered. An eagle fire bomb is basically a lot of fuel and shrapnel in a metal ammo can.

Your camera's will give you a view, but keep in mind its likely to get covered in dust, etc pretty quick.

Toymans sister as I pictured her, would be some place different. We need to settle on where.

Ares: will start in my next IC post resolving.:)

Okay all that done?

Okay Initiative and post pace. Again we need to slow down a little. We're still getting our pace legs, so to speak. In my initial OOC post I asked for 1 post a week. No one's said we couldn't do more, but I don't know yet that everyone can keep the pace. Until I do, we need to back the speed down just a bit, okay?

Scamp, Jet, Crone, Teja how are you gusy with the pacing? Even if you don't post, PM me.

At this point what we're going to do is actually roll initiative. So take it upon yourself to either locate a die rolling program, or a six sided die or two, and post or PM me your initiative.

Okay?
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Okay I am going to hold off posting anymore until everyone has had a cahnce to rply, then I will hit a pretty massive action. Also declare actions with your initiative. Those who get higher Init's can edit theirs based on lower init actions.

The Biker Gang as a whole rolled a 5. They will kill you. :)
Ares
Tasty Human

Post by Ares »

Initiative: 4d6+11
5 5 2 3 + 11 = 26
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What are you looking at?
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

Initiative (Rigging: 2d6+7) 11, probably switching active drones to the cars in the first action and then positioning them in the second. Though I still need to work out exactly where I'm planning to go with them.

Next round, assuming Toyman found a decent target he can hit from the roof without exposing himself too badly, he'll jack out (and I think that's about all he'll be able to do) and the following round start taking aimed shots trying to blow fuel tanks.

As for shooting from the roof from cover... Since the roof is obviously flat and likely has a wall around it of some sort, it'd need drainage. In many cases, that's a combination of grates in the middle and holes around the edges pointing somewhat downwards with a spout. Any chance of using a hole like that to set up in for taking shots?
complete. dirty. whore.
IRC Fun:
Cain
Knight of the Imperium

Post by Cain »

Initiative: 6 + 1d6 (5), for a total of 11.

Action: Send out the spirit, then line up for a spell.
Chopper
Tasty Human

Post by Chopper »

Initiative: 1d6 + 4 = 8
Action 1:
Drive my bike to the bottom of the book ramp at the rear door.

Initiative: 1d6 + 4 = 8
Action 2:
Load my Street Sweeper with nails. (break loading) - complicated action.

Initiative: 1d6 + 4 = 7
Action 3:
Shotgun Skill 3 plus 3 combat pool = 6 dice. Aim my Street Sweeper (loaded with nails previously) toward the door. Hold my fire using aim simple actions till a target(s) comes through the door. (If that's not an abuse of the aim rules)

Street Sweeper - Damage: 10S(f) Short 0-5 Medium 6-10 Long 11-12 Extreme 13-15 Choke: 5

(NSRCG shows the Street Sweeper ranges as a normal shotgun, but the sweeper uses taser ranges, so ignore the ranges on my character sheet)
Last edited by Chopper on Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crone
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by crone »

I know I am being slow, but I'm finding this pretty confusing (and I've been busy the last couple of days). Some people are a good 5 minutes ahead of other people, and I'm not at all sure when Octane is.

Amber wants to go down one storey and get some gear from her room, then go further down to check on Nash and Billy, then go right down and see if Speed has sorted out the state of the sewer, or if she needs help (can't imagine that she would, but Amber was told to), then go back up to the roof and start shooting people, unless Sticks tells her to do something else. I don't know how much of that she can do before the bikers do something, so I'm not sure what to post.

Question: Does Nash have a radio? Amber has one, plus a spare she will give Nash if she doesn't.

Initiative: 5 + 2d6 (2+5) = 12
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

I should be fine with a post every other day, or even every day, if that's what other people want to do. I was about to put a post up where UG finally realizes what's going on, and runs downstairs to grab his "mace", come up just in time for Ares' opening shots, and then get ready to play the rear guard. But now that the timing questions have come up, I'm not sure what I can do before shit happens.

Initiative: 2 + 1d6 (6) = 8
Amber
Tasty Human

Post by Amber »

I can't guarantee to post every day, but I should be able to post every 2-3 days.
Sticks
Tasty Human

Post by Sticks »

Initiative 5 + 1d6 = 7

I'll be running down to check on Amber and Speed, and tell 'em to haul ass upstairs for the big shoot-out if the sewer looks clear. I shall slow down my posting considerably.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Initiative: 5 + 1d6 [1] = 6

Deke is planning on waiting until a sizeable portion of the crowd of motorcylists is within Short range, then opening fire with his 12-gauge, buckshot, medium choke shotguns, spraying the crowd of motorcyclists with hundreds of fast-moving lead balls, which he expects will probably be unpleasant for the riders and their bikes.

Really, he's just killing time until he can get his axe out; this firearms stuff leaves him kind of cold.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Deke doesn't have a radio. There were some attempts to give him one, but they were inevitably unsuccessful. Either he lost them, broke them, or got them so filled with mud and ash that the piezos wouldn't make sound anymore. Mostly, people just have to yell for him, which usually works out okay.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

A twice a week post for Speed would be possible, but I commute to school twice a week (300 miles) so it's hard for me to squeeze in too much more. I apologize.

However, I don't know - it seems like most everyone is okay with the pacing. I struggled with it because within the first few posts, some people had posted a few times with others posting none at all. That throws things way off balance. Plus, there was a lot of other-people's-character control by players. I didn't even have my first post and already where Speed was, what she was doing, her attitude, what she was about to do - it was all defined. That makes it extremely hard for me to do anything with her.

I guess I will just go with whatever the majority feels, but I do think people should try to make an effort not to get too far ahead. Other than that, I think everything is going great. There's been some really good writing. :)
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.