[OOC] Twilight

A forum for PB3 [Play By Bulletin Board] roleplaying of any and all roleplaying games. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're playing in the subject line.
The Eclipse
Knight of the Imperium

[OOC] Twilight

Post by The Eclipse »

Okay, this is going to be a SR3 shadowrun game. I need 5-8 players for it, make your own characters, they may or may not know the other people in the group.

This run is in the tradition of my old Terror in the Dark PB3 run. As such I give first dibs on spots in it to those that took at trip with me into my twisted imagination to play the original TitD game. Most of them are long gone, the only ones that I see here with any frequency are Kai, Spiral, and Tryyng. They have first call.

Anyone else, let me know if you are interested.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
'You must be', said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here.'

MooCow is a carrier of Mad Cow Disease
Meri
Tasty Human

Post by Meri »

I'd like to know more details, before I make any commitment.
_"The face is the mirror of the mind, and eyes without speaking confess the secrets of the heart."
-Saint Jerome-
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Yeah that was supposed to be me.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Yeah, but she has the cuter avatar.

I'm in, if you'll have me, Eclipse.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

flashes her Masochistic Players Union Local 151 badge

Oh yeah, you can even have Dark Angel again once I work up the numbers as I have long since lost her original sheet :)

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
The Eclipse
Knight of the Imperium

Post by The Eclipse »

Okay, so far I have 32 and kai with her masochistic character, Dark Angel

Kai: DA's fine, but I will need an updated character sheet.

Paul: what specifically do you want to know.

This is going to be like TinD was, freeform. Game mechanics will be pretty arbitrary. I often throw them out in favor of storytelling. Your characters may be from any city and may know one or more of the other characters playing, it's up to you. Seeing that this is more freeform than a normal shadowrun game, I have very few requirements for characters, they can be new, old, experienced, inexperienced, it doesn't matter.

I do however suggest against Deckers or Riggers as that they will have very little use in this game.

Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Will do, E, hopefully this weekend

Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

What a character need to consist of, an idea of what sort of guidelines I am expected to adhere to, and what if anything you are lookign for in a character.

I'd like to play, I just want a feel for the game first.
The Eclipse
Knight of the Imperium

Post by The Eclipse »

The character is completely up to you, part of this run is having a group of diverse characters. Now, I don't want to see any vampires, shapeshifters, etc. But within reason, any character is pretty much permissible.

Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Okay a PM will arrive shortly. If you'll have me I'll play.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Which, in case anyone wants to know for characters, Dark Angel is essentially a wired elf merc with a lot of combat/tactics/leadership experience. Which, given TinD, is this post, pre, or not in the timeline?

The Eclipse
Knight of the Imperium

Post by The Eclipse »

TinD was in 2057 I think, this run is in the current SR timeline.

Sludig
Tasty Human

Post by Sludig »

If you'll have me, I'd like to give it a shot. My record with PB3's lasting is exactly nil, so. :)
_*I may be crazy but I'm not insane*
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Is there still a copy of TinD around somewhere? I know this isn't a sequel, but I'd like to see how things were in the last run, particularly if some of those characters are returning.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Unfortunatly no :/ It was DRF days, and I lost my copy years ago in a HD crash. E can give you a good summary, if Tryyng's around he can provide some insight, too, DA still has nightmares about it if that indicates anything :7

Szechuan
No-Life Loser

Post by Szechuan »

I'd like to give this a shot, but I don't know if I'd be up to par, writing-wise. Can I get more details on this, E? Or maybe a quick run-through of what TinD was about?
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I am playing a physical adept, who is of African American origin, who occassionally uses the street name of Spoon. He has done some executive protection work in the past, but concentrates on P&E (Penetration and Extraction) work, as well as investigative work.

I am toying with Ork, but I am not sure as of right yet.
The Eclipse
Knight of the Imperium

Post by The Eclipse »

I'm writing a summary of TinD, i will post it tonight.

FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

If you're still looking for players I might be interested. What sort of people are you looking fo- runners equivalent to newly created ones or guys with some experience?
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
The Eclipse
Knight of the Imperium

Post by The Eclipse »

Flak: scroll up a bit.

Okay, we have:
Kai - Dark Angel
3278 - Unspecified Character
Paul- Physical Adept
Sludig- Unspecified Character
Szech- Unspecified Character
Flakjacket- Unspecified Character

We have enough players, I'd be open to another if anyone else wants in.

The Eclipse
Knight of the Imperium

Terror in the Dark (Semi public knowledge)

Post by The Eclipse »

It was something of a myth that brought me to a section of forest that is over 30 miles from the nearest civilization. During the late summer of 2056, a catastrophe occurred at as Shiawase research facility deep in the Salish forest a couple hundred miles east of Seattle. Initial reports indicated that some type of dual natured entities had attacked the facility with numerous fatalities. No further information ever came out of the facility.
Over the next 48 hours, Shiawase sent three separate paramilitary platoons to the facility with hopes of determining the nature of the incident. None of these platoons were heard from again. After this, the decision was made at the executive level to send in an expendable team of experienced shadowrunners to locate the facility and the missing security units.
Within 12 hours a Johnson had contracted and dispatched the team to the facilities. The information given to them was minimal and on a “need to know” basis. In the areas surrounding the facility they found evidence of intense fighting. Worse, their vehicle was incapacitated by sabotage.
Inside the facility it was far worse, It had appeared that neither the research staff nor the security teams had survived whatever had occurred. The remains were grisly, dismembered corpses, makeshift barricades that attempted to keep the unknown invaders out proved to be in vain. However, in one room they found a critically injured member of the final security team. He was alive, but had severe blood loss and was obviously traumatized from the encounter. One of the team members stayed to tend to the soldier while the rest went to attempt to restore power to the facility.
There in the sub basements, the runners had their first encounter with the entities. They were described as non-corporeal “shadows” that seemed to rise out of the runners own shadows. With several wounded members, the team engaged in a withdrawal from the power plant, successful in restarting power to the upper levels.
The team learned that conventional weapons were of negligible use against the entities. Although they did seem to be driven back, they were not significant injured by them firearms. During several skirmishes following this, the team learned that the only real defense was light. As long as there were no shadows, the entities could not appear. In the control room they hooked up several large work lights to prevent these shadows from being cast.
Within the computer, they found that the research team had accidentally created a type of planar rift in the lowest level of the sub-basements, which had let a sentient monster of great evil into our world. And those that are killed by this being become incorporeal tortured souls meant only to kill for their master. The researcher who entered this information before he died stated clearly the need for the creature to be driven back through and the rift patched. After relaying this information to Shiawase headquarters, the corporation told them that they would be picked up via helicopter outside.
Not moments after this communication was received, the power was cut off to the upper levels. Without the floodlights, the entities were once again able to enter the room. The team fought their way to the roof of the building. In the daylight, the entities could no follow them. But the roof was no better, instead of picking up the team; the Shiawase helicopter attempted to kill them. However, within the shadows of the helicopter cockpit, the corporate hard men found another surprise waiting for them. The entity formed within killed one or more of the people insides, the helicopter crash killed the rest.
Left with no vehicle and no other options, the surviving members of the team set off on foot to the nearest town, keeping to the road and away from the shadows of the forest. Three members of the team found their way out, Dark angel, Icebox, and Mask. They retain the full logs of the Shiawase research facility as leverage, and it has worked; Shiawase has kept their distance from all members of the team since the incident.
The three surviving members are still alive today; all have varying degrees of mental trauma from the episode. Icebox in particular suffered near fatal injuries and needed extensive cyber replacement in order to recover.
The most important question: Was the rift closed? Outside of Shiawase, nobody really knows. As this run became more and more of an urban legend, several people went out into that forest looking for the facility, but nobody ever found any signs of it. It’s conceivable that Shiawase found a way to close the rift after pushing the creature back through. Or maybe they found another solution to the problem.
I don’t have any answers. I traveled here to see what I could find three years later. The closest village tells stories of the incident. They say that three years ago, entire convoys of Shiawase trucks rolled past them into the forest, the claimed that they were hazardous materials units cleaning up a spill. But when they were done, the facility ceased to exist.
Using a map that one of the town officials gave me, I took a trip out to that spot one morning. I’m not a superstitious person, and don’t put a lot of stock into myth, but I stayed on the road and didn’t go near the trees. Maybe it was just my imagination playing tricks on me, but I always felt that someone was watching me from those woods.
In the spot that the facility was to have existed, there is nothing. Not even a hole in the ground, just a clearing a half mile wide. So I left there, As I leave it to you to draw your own conclusions.

Bitburner
Freelance Journalist
20 October, 2059

Sludig
Tasty Human

Post by Sludig »

I think I'll do a mage/shaman, type and such yet to be determined, what character point guidelines, etc?
The Eclipse wrote:Flak: scroll up a bit.

Okay, we have:
Kai - Dark Angel
3278 - Unspecified Character
Paul- Physical Adept
Sludig- Unspecified Character
Szech- Unspecified Character
Flakjacket- Unspecified Character

We have enough players, I'd be open to another if anyone else wants in.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Nice closure on that E :) As for DA, she returned to her position as leader of the mercenary group the Seattle Renegades and put Shiawase on the blacklist, any members wnating to do business with them were on their own and advised to be extra careful. She's kept her memories to herself and her right hand man Sabre, and still wakes up at night from nightmares about it.

Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I have an initial Spoon written up, butthe finalized version will depend on the points/whatever we are allocated.

Kai: Dark Angel is a? Or better yet could I get some logs from this last run if they exsist? Or a brief run down on her?
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

No logs unfortunatly, lost with DRF. Dark Angel is just a glorified street sam, triggered wired reflexes, cybereyes, a few other mods, skills in firearms, demo, tactics primarily, a smattering of other stuff.

The Eclipse
Knight of the Imperium

Post by The Eclipse »

I'll make a decision on points today, I just need to give it a little consideration.

The Eclipse
Knight of the Imperium

Post by The Eclipse »

I have been thinking about it a lot today, and I'm going to place a point guideline for character creation. I'm going to suggest that you work somewhere between the 130 - 180 point range, depending on your character concept and how experienced you intend this character to be. I'm not terribly worried about anyone abusing the system here, I will veto such characters if necessary.

If you need to go above 180 to fulfill your character concept, check with me, I will probably okay it.

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I haven't the slightest idea what I'm going to be playing yet, but I assure you that won't be a problem. It's just one of those things I have to ruminate about for a bit.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Just so I am clear, are we starting 2059 or 2060? Its not a big thing, I just want to make sure my birth date is correct. I know, I know, anal retentive... :)
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I'll have Spoon finished soon. I discovered a glaring error in the NSRCG, that added like a hunderd points to him-extra money. So I have to redo him, but it should be much shorter this time!
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

My character is more-or-less done, but I'm again finding the glaring flaws of NSRCG myself, so I've printed him out and I'm going over him with pen-and-paper to get everything right. I'm pretty happy so far, though.
The Eclipse
Knight of the Imperium

Post by The Eclipse »

Szech, no it doesn't matter.

Paul: we are playing in 2060

Szechuan
No-Life Loser

Post by Szechuan »

Okay, working on Poe now.

Edit: I am an idiot. I have Poe done on this box for 125 already. I'll add 40 points or so and send him over.
Last edited by Szechuan on Sun May 30, 2004 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Give me a day or so to wrap things up and I'll shoot him across to you.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

I have no idea. I am behind as usual, hopefully no later than the end of the week

Sludig
Tasty Human

Post by Sludig »

I should have it by Wed or Thurs. honest. :)
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Still any slots, or is it too late?

(Leaving the country for 10 days does have some drawbacks after all.)
The Eclipse
Knight of the Imperium

Post by The Eclipse »

yes, one left, want it?

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Okay, I'm done. I have an HTML file of my character; who would like a copy, and how?
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Did you recieve my chaarcter, and was it in a readable format?
Sludig
Tasty Human

Post by Sludig »

E: I've been away from my home computer all weekend, did you receive my character?
The Eclipse
Knight of the Imperium

Post by The Eclipse »

sorry, have been out of town on business.

Paul... um... what format is that in?

Slud got yours, and 32, could you email me yours.

Everyone else, I have no characters for yet.

Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

DA will be done at least stat wise tonight, I may never finish actual background :)

Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Its from the NSRCG. If its not openable let me know, and I'll have 3278 fix it for me!
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Done. If there's anything I'm missing, please let me know.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

So...what's our status?

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Well, my character's really cool. :)