OOC: Steam and Sorcery - Pirates of the Carribean

A forum for PB3 [Play By Bulletin Board] roleplaying of any and all roleplaying games. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're playing in the subject line.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

OOC: Steam and Sorcery - Pirates of the Carribean

Post by Cazmonster »

Okay - I realize that the last time I tried this it died before it got going. That was my fault, I hadn't realized what a PB3 game actually means in amount of effort and time. I still might not, but I don't care. The only way I'm going to make Steam and Sorcery work is to run it as a game and I'd rather run it for you people than for anyone else.

So - to the details - Cazmonster crosses his fingers and prays really hard for a minute before continuing - Pirates will be for 8th level characters in either D&D3E or D&D3.5. I do not yet own 3.5 so we'll be glossing over some of the grittier details there. The initial setting will be in Miami and the characters must be part of a crew. I will provide the details of the rest of your crew and the ship you serve on.

As for the world setting, you'll have to do a little research. I'm not going to repost everything in this thread for those who have a passing interest. If you want to play, read over the threads yourself. However, I will email information as needed.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Joo is cool, of course, the link-ee comes up fuxxored here at work.

Will check it at home tonight.
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

Also, the Anime d20 SRD for point-based d20 goodness! ;-)
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Those MF's are getting burned to CD right friggin NOW!

Cazmonster abuses his position at work.
Bethyaga
Knight of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Bethyaga »

Can I be a goblin?

Is the crew mostly human? Elf, dwarf, halfling, etc? Old world or new world? I wanna be a goblin, but if playing a goblinoid race won't fit it, then I would pick something else were I granted a seat in this game.
_Whoever invented that brush that goes next to the toilet is an idiot, cuz that thing hurts.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Racial Questions

Post by Cazmonster »

The PC ship will be a mixed bag of races - and have an overall neutral good alignment. That doesn't mean that you have to be of good alignment yourself, although I am sticking with the "no evil" rule.

I've been thinking that Humans make up about 55-60% of the sentient being population, with Martayan humans accounting for a third of that. Monster races, both Transmogrified and Martayan, make up an important, if small portion of civilization.

A goblin character would be a fine member of a sailing crew - so long as they could keep to the Privateers' Accords. There's no reason why a hobgoblin or a bugbear wouldn't work either.
Bethyaga

Post by Bethyaga »

Oooooh. Weasely goblin or burly bugbear... ?

Oh oh oh, I gotta be the bugbear. Done. Choice made. Thank you.

[If I'm in, that is.]
_Whoever invented that brush that goes next to the toilet is an idiot, cuz that thing hurts.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Bethy - let's review here. You are Bethyaga the mighty and wise. I would be a fool to not include you on what could be the most important game of my life.
Bethyaga

Post by Bethyaga »

Good. Cuz I've already drawn up the character. I'll send it soon.

I'm sooooooooo excited.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

That makes two of us. I think I'll spend the rest of the afternoon dancing around my cubicle to Lee Press On.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

A Quick Thing - Before the craziness starts

Post by Cazmonster »

Okay, don't take this as a dig, anybody. But I want to involve any of the main characters getting involved in a love interest with any of the other main characters - it messes with my head in ways that make games fall apart.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Re: A Quick Thing - Before the craziness starts

Post by Daki »

Cazmonster wrote:Okay, don't take this as a dig, anybody. But I want to involve any of the main characters getting involved in a love interest with any of the other main characters - it messes with my head in ways that make games fall apart.
Awwww... so no mad humping of Bethy's bugbear?
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

Okay, so that was my fault for playing a swashbuckler...who...well, swashbuckled. If I pomise to be good this time can I play? Huh, huh, can I? I won't have anyone fall in love with me or fall in love with anyone else, I promise. :)
Chocolate sauce on a buttery nipple. *Bliss*
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

There shall be no buggering of Bethy's Bugbear!

Eli - here, if anywhere, a swashbuckler would be perfect. Heck, you could even play as a ranger and test out the new two weapon combat rules.

And, to emphasize, if you want to play a non-human character, this is the place, so long as you don't mind getting wet that is.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

WHEEEEEEEE! I'm so gonna be in!

Ok...lemme see...

For some reason, I can't think of a character to play...

I'll fill in whatever is needed, and go from there.

Anything to help S&S world :)
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

So Far, I've got Eli and Bethy. Yes, there might be just a couple of open slots left.

[EDIT]

Oh, and Flameblade, there really can't be Steam and Sorcery without Flameblade.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I'll get back to you when I finally can think of something.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Well I have a few ideas, but first what do we need?

I was considering playing multiclass, is that okay?

I wanted to either fighter cleric or fighter/thief.

I am going to have to wait until this weekend to generate a character though. Can I play?
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

My plan is to have six to eight characters.

Any mix of classes will work out fine, so long as I don't wind up with all arcane spellcasters (which will make my head hurt and cause me to rework every encounter). Since you will be in or on the water for most of the game, having the Swim skill is going to be damn important.

As far as magic items is concerned, go ahead and spend like you would in a normal game, but no items more than 10,000gp are available, neither are any items that store spells of 4th level or higher.

I will provide spell progression for spellcasters a little later.

For now, all classes get at least 4 skill points per level. If your class provides more skills, use that higher number.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

Caz, I just wanted to reitterate what has already been clarified by other individuals.
Altimont and Hotel California...now Pirates of the Carribean?!
[glow]YOU SO RULE. [/glow]

If I had more experience with those versions, I'd jump to be in the game. I think I'd slow the group down though needing guidance, but I will definately be a die hard fan of this one! :D
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

knowing Caz's style...you don't need to know much of rules...(when on PB3.) Also, I don't know much of D&D rules, but I know enough of it to jump in and play :)

Oh, Caz? No zombies, please. We all know how brutal you can be with zombies :)
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Oh come on! It's Caz. There has to be zombies at least somewhere along the way! :D
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

PTSD, I see.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

ME! Ooh! Ooh! Me! I dunno what or who or anything yet and still haven't seen the movie, but ME! :D

runs around in circles of S&S goodness overload
_
"Are you alright?"
"I'm a little fucked up in general so its hard to tell."
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Um, Caz, would it be okay if I reworked Kardon for this game? I've been trying to play a duelist for a very long time and by level 8 he could be one. It's up to you, if not, I'm thinking of other things to play and will let you know as soon as I get a fix on one. OGRE Duelists!
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Okay, everybody who wants to play, send me a preliminary character idea. The setting is the Carribean, which mean there are Drostafrian Reavers (The Drow & Rastas & Lolth & Voodoo & Boats), Hoodoo Priests, Ex-Smugglers, Ex-Miami Vice, Swarves, intelligent animals and a dozen or so other playable species. The Lusty Main of Miami is a good place to be a pirate, a smuggler or a Privateer under the Three Circles flag. There are loads of old ships to be converted into housing or transport, and tens of thousands of people in the well-populated swamlands to the East.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Ok, I'm thinking that I'm starting to get the idea...

Human rogue/cleric

Doesn't hurt to have simple healing powers ready for crew, and doesn't hurt to have "god" to support morale. Especially "Sea God" :)

Caz: I'll try to think of extended prelim char idea and send it to you.

EDIT: Rogue as in swashbuckler/pirate class. I'll have to do a little research, but I believe that's the alley I'm going up.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Caz: Maybe there's an air-force...a pegasus-outrider type? Would that even be possible?
Bethyaga

Post by Bethyaga »

Maazmud--400 pounds of stern and surly bugbear sailor. He fits the role of first mate or enforcer or general task master. He is an expert seaman and formidable warrior. He has no sense of humor and (surprisingly for a bugbear) is a stickler for the rules.

That's his general first impression to other crewmembers. I'll send the details to you, Caz.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Eliahad wrote:Caz: Maybe there's an air-force...a pegasus-outrider type? Would that even be possible?
At 8th level, a flying mount is a little outside your power class, but an item of flying is not. There's also a decent chance you could purchase (or use the ship's) magical or technomagial flying machine.
Bethyaga

Post by Bethyaga »

Caz--restrictions on magic item? Do they cost more? Is there limit on how much we can spend on magic or on any one item? I assume we start with the 28,000 listed in the DMG.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Silly Bethy - not reading the Thread.

Post by Cazmonster »

Bethyaga wrote:Caz--restrictions on magic item? Do they cost more? Is there limit on how much we can spend on magic or on any one item? I assume we start with the 28,000 listed in the DMG.
Cazmonster wrote:My plan is to have six to eight characters.

Any mix of classes will work out fine, so long as I don't wind up with all arcane spellcasters (which will make my head hurt and cause me to rework every encounter). Since you will be in or on the water for most of the game, having the Swim skill is going to be damn important.

As far as magic items is concerned, go ahead and spend like you would in a normal game, but no items more than 10,000gp are available, neither are any items that store spells of 4th level or higher.

I will provide spell progression for spellcasters a little later.

For now, all classes get at least 4 skill points per level. If your class provides more skills, use that higher number.
Bethyaga

Post by Bethyaga »

Well, fuck. I wish you would have told us that earlier.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Caz: PMed you with details...everything except for skills, feats, and gear. I need to research a little before doing that...It's first time that I made an 8th-level character from stratch. Always have created 1st level character...

Everyone:

My character's name: Waterfingers, 4th level Rogue, 4th level Cleric with god in water/air domain.

When I say, Rogue, I don't necessarily mean that I'm skilled in lockpicking, pocketpicking, or anything like that. More of other skills of rogue that pertains more to sailor. Oh, by the way, everyone'd better pick up "profession: Sailor"
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

The swim skill can't hurt either.

For a little more background - you will all be serving on Captain Jessup's Marlin, a ship that had been a vacation schooner twenty years ago.
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

Speaking of swashbuckling, I have this idea for a rogue sorcerer kicking around in my head. I'll try to get him down on paper by this weekend, and send him along. Yar!
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Bethyaga

Post by Bethyaga »

I think this team will consist of a large number of multiclassed Rogue/Whatevers. You wanna be a pirate, and Rogue has all the appropriate class skills.

Profession: Sailor
Climb
Balance
Swim
Use Rope
Bethyaga

Post by Bethyaga »

Oh, and PS: I really wanna be first mate.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

I'll be out of town this weekend, so I'll get my character stuff done on the bus ride and posted on Sunday, Caz.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

For the record, fighter/sorcerer, details forthcoming once GM says Aye or Nay on a proposal/concept :)
_
"Are you alright?"
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Bethyaga wrote:Oh, and PS: I really wanna be first mate.
It looks like you'll be first mate then.

And honestly, everybody in the party is going to be in the command crew. The ship will probably have a crew of about 40 experts, professionals and rogues.

So, think about jobs like Gunner, Lookout, Navigator, Cook, Ship's Doctor, Ship's Mage, etc.

And okay, if nobody want to be the cook, nobody has to be the Cook.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Dibs on Ship mage, I have an idea for a Wizard/Bard kicking around, plus a little something extra, but that's going to require an email to our fearless leader, which I think I might be able to put together right now. However, it won't be perfect because the info I was writing up is all on my home computer, where I'm not right now. Get it to you soon, Caz :)
Bethyaga

Post by Bethyaga »

Wizard/Bard. That's pretty slick. I'll enjoy seeing how that concept plays out. Someone exploring both the intuitive and intellectual side of magic is just a cool idea.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Cook fits perfectly with what I am thinking, I am going to use the links Adam provided to make my PC this weekend, I have never played 3.5 before so I may need to correct it several times, but I will get one made this weekend.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Excellent! Somebody wants to be Ship's Cook! I think I may have to do my happy dance now!
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

I get to pick a job? Kick ass, dibs on being the Quartermaster :D
_
"Are you alright?"
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

I'm gonna to be Ship's Cleric...in other words, leader for the regular pirate crew, and liason between crew and command.
Bethyaga

Post by Bethyaga »

FlameBlade wrote:I'm gonna to be Ship's Cleric...in other words, leader for the regular pirate crew, and liason between crew and command.
No, no... that makes you Dr. Crusher, and I'm still Commander Riker.