So... Who wants to game with a Herald

A forum for PB3 [Play By Bulletin Board] roleplaying of any and all roleplaying games. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're playing in the subject line.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

So... Who wants to game with a Herald

Post by Cazmonster »

That's right, boys and girls. I just ground my way through the RPGA Herald-Level Game Master test. This means that I can run sanctioned events for Wizards.

This also means that I might be 'volunteering' to run games for Wizards at Gencon.

W00TAH!

Cazmonster does a little D&D3E dance and is thoroughly pleased with himself.

Yay!
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Congratulations, Caz. :)
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Thanks Deev.

That test was going to bust my nut. Thankfully, there were only so many questions in the whole thing so I wasn't completely screwed, they repeated some on each test as I retook it.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

What kind of questions did they ask?
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

Congratulations Caz!

*Grovels before the might of the Cazinator*

I'm not worthy...oh shit, I'm running a game for the Game Guru himself...must prepare.

*dashes off*
Chocolate sauce on a buttery nipple. *Bliss*
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Sal - Fairly hinky and complex D&D questions. Like how many hit points does Redgar the 8th level fighter heal with a full day of rest?
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Depends, how much Constitution does he have? Does that even matter anymore?
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Nope.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Cazmonster, here's a difficult question.

Under what conditions do cleric get a martial weapon proficiency for free?
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

FlameBlade wrote:Cazmonster, here's a difficult question.

Under what conditions do cleric get a martial weapon proficiency for free?
Flame - Clerics who take the War Domain gain their Diety's weapon as a free Martial Weapon proficiency.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

So...that means...

Goodwin here...

Has shield proficiency for free. But needs to take martial weapon proficiency to take Greatsword...his domain isn't war. His domain is Good, and Strength.

Hmmm...*ponders taking monkey grip proficiency next level, which will be fighter.*
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

and I just realized that combat casting is fucking useless because clerics spontaneously cast spells.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

FlameBlade wrote:Hmmm...*ponders taking monkey grip proficiency next level, which will be fighter.*
Having no idea what the hell "monky grip" is, you realize that Fighters get all armor, simple, and martial weapon proficencies for free?
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Damn!

Gotta change Goodwin around or something... :)
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

FlameBlade wrote:and I just realized that combat casting is fucking useless because clerics spontaneously cast spells.
The spontaneous casting of a cure spell is still a spellcasting and would still draw attacks of opportunity. The benefit of combat casting is that even while in medius combat, you can Cast on the Defensive, a DC 15 concentration check and be at +4 on the roll, taking you to even odds with only 1 rank of concentration. If you spent your skills in blocks, you've got 4 points of concentration, and probably a point or two of Constitution Bonus (I know you've got two - 10hp). So, you could cast spells while being threatened three times out of four.

Monkey Grip - has more prerequisites than I had at first thought - you'll have to take Weapon Focus (Greatsword) and wait until at least 4th level. You have to have a +3 attack bonus.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Caz said what I wanted to say about spontaneous casting.

Question: Do you need to be a fighter to use Monkey Grip? Flame, in purely metagame terms, I can see a cleric doing very well if you're patient. Keep in mind you have two fairly competent fighters already. What with Allnines there dropping foes like a demon. Your strength will come ;) However, it is not ultimately my decision to make, and I'm not suggesting this as DM, because I can't 'see' all the places you guys are going beyond the next hill, it's entirely up to you :)
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

I'm just looking at all different possiblities.

I'm trying to break a cleric :D

Actually, I'm trying to understand all naunces of rules here, because there are freaking so many conditionals in those rules. If A happens, then B can happen...If C happens then D won't happen.

It's enough to drive me crazy.

I'm just asking those stuff...so I can make rational decision making.

I want my cleric to wield greatsword...yet at the same time...I want higher AC...

In other words...I guess I'll just stand behind Lia and hope no arrows hit my tuckus again :)
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

FlameBlade wrote:I'm just looking at all different possiblities.

I want my cleric to wield greatsword...yet at the same time...I want higher AC...

In other words...I guess I'll just stand behind Lia and hope no arrows hit my tuckus again :)
Flame, your best bet is armor. You've got to get into something decent as I think your Dex is under 10. Protection from Evil and Shield of Faith are going to be two of your very best magic friends for a while. They both crank your AC by +2 right now and you'll have 10 rounds of protection. Entropic Shield and Obscuring Mist will protect you from ranged attacks.

But when it comes down to it, get armored.

Also, Monkey grip is only so good. You'll not get the 1.5x bonus strength when attacking with the Greatsword. (Which will really be something once you get Bull's Strength.)
Lekkarion
Tasty Human

Post by Lekkarion »

That's awesome Caz, WTG. And I thought I was the only person without a life lol. Now I know someone with less lol.

Anyways, still that's really awesome.
_<font color="red">For Some, Death comes quickly. For others, Death comes slowly. But in the end, I come for you all.</hr></font>
<hr size=10 width=75%>
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Cazmonster flexes, and wishes he already had his neafty Herald Badge.

Well, the good thing about no life is that it is cheap. I may be doing Gencon on Wizard's tab, which always roxxors the boxxors.

Also, at Oddcon, D&D 3e is the most anticipated game. Kick ass and take names.
Ryan Murphy
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by Ryan Murphy »

Sal: Monkey Grip (from Sword & Fist) lets you use a Large weapon in one hand- albeit half-assedly.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Mad props Cazman, and going on company tab is a great thing :)

proudly flashes her Shadowrun Mook badge

Here's hoping I can stay in GA and the SR Tourney comes to DragonCon
_
"Are you alright?"
"I'm a little fucked up in general so its hard to tell."
Lekkarion
Tasty Human

Post by Lekkarion »

so Caz if you run D&D at the Gencon and all that, do you have to write up a game or are they just going to give ya one to run for them?
_<font color="red">For Some, Death comes quickly. For others, Death comes slowly. But in the end, I come for you all.</hr></font>
<hr size=10 width=75%>
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Lek - with any luck, they'll give me something to run. Me writing up a game for Gencon is a bad thing.
Lekkarion
Tasty Human

Post by Lekkarion »

that'd be cool. If ya had to write up a game, you'd probably make it so everyone died at the end anyways lol.
<hr size=10 width=75%>
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Cazmonster wrote:Lek - with any luck, they'll give me something to run. Me writing up a game for Gencon is a bad thing.
Bad in what way? And does this mean you have to sacrifice browsing/hang time in return for the cash?
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

FlakJacket wrote:
Cazmonster wrote:Lek - with any luck, they'll give me something to run. Me writing up a game for Gencon is a bad thing.
Bad in what way? And does this mean you have to sacrifice browsing/hang time in return for the cash?
Flak - mostly because I'd get all freaky and spend a month writing up a campaign length adventure with 60 detailed NPC's for a four hour game.

And yeah, I will be out a little hang time, but I'm going to try to fix it so that I've got one whole day free.
Lekkarion
Tasty Human

Post by Lekkarion »

wow for only four hours? Well I guess you couldn't get a whole group of people together to spend the whole GenCon only playing D&D, of course I'm not sure what else I'd want to do instead.
<hr size=10 width=75%>