Shadowrun OOC:: In the Dragons Secret Service-Team Gold

A forum for PB3 [Play By Bulletin Board] roleplaying of any and all roleplaying games. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're playing in the subject line.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Alexein Diethelm, or Helm, was born to a hard-line German Saeder-Krupp family which is, itself, an offshoot of the original Krupp family. Considered from birth to be on the fast track to command, the discovery of his magical talent virtually guaranteed success whether his dream of command was ever realized or not.

Fanatically loyal to the corporation, Helm feels a closeness to the members of his Class and Team that he can't quite express. Caught between Teutonic reserve and love for his teammates, Helm generally chooses to simply say nothing, and do nothing.

In the field, on the other hand, he does a great deal, sometimes more than he should, trying to be everywhere at once and do everything at once. He has worked so hard at his magical talent that the SK doctors are concerned for his physical and mental health as he grows older. Being a member of a specops team, Helm doesn't worry about what will happen when he gets older; he has seen so many members of their Class die that he's no longer under the impression he will live long enough to die of old age or magical overuse.

Now that they're out of the closed-in world of the School, Helm finds it slightly more hard to maintain the same bonds they found in youth, particularly with members from other Classes and Schools sometimes coming in to fill the gaps in their adult Division. He strives wherever possible to keep everyone together and emotionally close, to reduce friction and enhance the bonds that a lifetime spent together has formed.

If Helm isn't in command of the team, then he'll be /extremely/ deferential to and supportive of the team leader, considering that position to be the most respected one around. He will break his back to get the information and judgement that his Lieutenant needs.

If he is in command, he'll be working even harder to manage everything, but working closely with his XO to manage day-to-day decisions. He'll see himself as barely deserving of the honor of commanding his peers, but still absolute in authority.

Helm has something of a reputation as a scholar and student, and has been less socially involved than many people, trying as he is to balance tactical studies, magical studies, and the school of command, all at once. As a result, he's emotionally slightly less mature than the other members of the team. While he's been "involved" with some of the other members of the Class, he's done so less than the other people out there, and as such, is still slightly juvenile about the whole issue.

How old would we all like to be, since we'll all be around the same age? [I'd suggest all within 1-2 years of each other in either direction.]

For the purposes of this background, I invented a bunch of things, like the School of War, where all of the Classes - Classes being groups of a hundred or so children all learning together - study and work and learn and move on to become soldiers or, in our cases, operatives. Once School is over, all the students move into a Division of the military. Within the Classes and Divisions are subdivisions known as Teams, like Gold and Blue team.

Now, I'm just making this shit up so I can fill in the background. We should work out exactly how this works, at least in general, and have names for everything, so we're not all talking about completely different processes and concepts. Just a thought.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Drodowyzc

Post by Cazmonster »

I'll get The Droz up here in a bit.

He's polish, medaled in the Olympic Biathalon a few years ago, sees corporate 'work' as an interesting challenge and is an all around smooth operator.

As Wild will be covering intimidation, I'll have a plethora of leadership, tactics and social skills, along with the ability to blow the rotor off a drone at five kilometers with a rifle (or as close as I can get with 250 points)
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

Have fun everyone, I'm going to watch this one. (these?)
Chocolate sauce on a buttery nipple. *Bliss*
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Scratch all that background I previously posted, 32's idea of a unified school from the get go is better, rework in progress, but skills will stay the same.
Last edited by Wildfire on Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_
"Are you alright?"
"I'm a little fucked up in general so its hard to tell."
Sludig
Tasty Human

Post by Sludig »

Okay, Nikita's b/g in a nutshell.

She was born to two Sk employees, Father was in the Intelligence section of the company, Mother, was a Dragon, and became a trainer for the current group of Dragons. She's been training to be a Dragon most, if not all her life. Once finally on a team, trained, on their first solo (aka, no support or as backup) the shadowrunning team they were sent to gack, were tipped off, Nikita was to watch for flushers, and was outside the building when it blew up. After interrogating a straggler (the one with the detnator) she found out it was a mid-level SK employee, that was using the group to do his dirty work, she found him, and promptly shot him, turning over evidence.

She was busted from Corporal to Private, and finally ended up on Gold team, being tagged as unlucky, and transferred from unit to unit because some commanders didn't want her.
_*I may be crazy but I'm not insane*
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Earl: I'll also need to be a part of that magical group. Hermetic cyber-mage goodness. Mmmm.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Two additional questions.

1. How much are the two teams planning on coordinating together?

2. Where the hell do I find the parachuting skill? Or is simply part of Athletics?
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
JohnnyRico
Wuffle Student

Post by JohnnyRico »

I'd suggest either making it a specialization of athletics if it's just straight parachuting. I chose to make HALO it's own skill, mostly out of appreciation of the actual act's requirements.
"I have a conundrum for you. A riddle if you will. What's the difference between you, and malard with a cold? I don't remember how it ends, but your mothers a whore." -"Sean Connery" Celebrity Jeopardy- SNL
Lilith
Bulldrekker

Post by Lilith »

Jeff: Check out Cannon Companion, I do believe it's in there.

(Edit: That should be from SLudig's account. He didn't know he was logged in as me.)
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Just a note for the non-IRCers, for my own selfish testing purposes and and ease of people seeing others, register your character's name at www.winternightex.com, and edit your database entry (link in upper right) with your info, everyone can search the database for the team or by character name to look at people, although Name is exact match only
Last edited by Wildfire on Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
_
"Are you alright?"
Sludig
Tasty Human

Post by Sludig »

Wild: I'm getting a 404 message on the link.
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Sludig: Try to copy and paste the addy.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Fixed, forgot to put it inside URL tags
_
"Are you alright?"
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Team Gold here is some relevant information for you. You are all based,as your Home Port, in Kiel. You are part of Charlie Comapny, 1st Special Operations Group, a semi independent SOQ (Special Operations Qualified) Elite unit.

Your rank structure will look like this::

3278-Captain
Cash-Sargent
Caz-Gunnery Sargent
Uncle Joeseph-Warrant Officer 4/Gunner
Sludig-Private First Class
Wildfire-Staff Sargent

This is subject to change pending your individual input.As of right now, we are looking at a late August start date.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Foci costs have been negotiated and finalized with Paul. They are as follows:

All foci - in their raw, unbonded form - are available for requisition from the quartermaster's department. Evidence of need and CO approval must be shown in the requisitioning order. [For chargen, assume need and CO approval already have been shown.] Foci gained in this manner are monitarily free.

Foci must be bonded with the PCs karma - or points, on chargen - and cannot be used or bonded any other way.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Now don't take this as whining, as it's not. I had planned for Drodowyzc to go through college on the SK equivalent of a ROTC/military scholarship. As I understand the military (and yeah, it's vague) folks who graduate with a degree in Military Science are on the fast track to a position as an officer.

I still have every intention of being the man with the big gun, I was just wondering...
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Well, if you're part of our School, then we /all/ went as part of the equivalent of an ROTC scholarship. I mean, we attended the War College at age 5 or so, you know? :) Which puts us all on the fast track to command.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

To all those using BeCKS: I'm a doofus and can't multiply. 250 points is 937.5 karma, not 917.5....back to your regular conversation.
_
"Are you alright?"
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Hey, I'm fine with being a Gunny. Better that than Bean or Ender.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Ahhh poop. how did I miss the second page? Ok, I'll get working on Goh tonight. (Was in San Diego over the weekend.)
along with the ability to blow the rotor off a drone at five kilometers with a rifle (or as close as I can get with 250 points)
Eep! Hopefully not any of mine... :D
Sludig wrote::
Second: I'll amend my char to add some B&E skills...should have thought about this, she'd be able to do this as point, but I'm glad I have some extra char points
I talked to Sludig about this...that way he can make the required electrical connections for me to jump into a CCSS system through a re-trans drone (that way, I don't have to get my butt shot off...) I'll re-read Rigger 3 tonight to see how good of a skill Sludig will need...
Who's covering electronics and signal intelligence? Cash? I'm thinking about things like comms, electronic evasion [for B&E, that sort of thing] and all of that. If the only electronically-adept person is Cash, he can't so much stay with the vehicles, which is fine, but we'll need to know that.
I can do comms...this will let me stay out of the killing zon--errr, enemy compound. :)
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Okay, to use this combat school thingy - wouldn't most of the 'Graduates' have a plethora of appropriate skills?
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Ok. Depending on if I can cram the skill points in, I'm getting a TacComp also.

How are people's attributes? maxed out, high, or a little above typical shadowrunner?

And do we have the medic?
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

My gunner will have spooky stats, quickness and body will both be double digits, everything else will be around a six or so.

I'll have at least 4 or 5 points of basic med tech as well.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

All the attributes are 6 or lower now, but I still have 10 power points to work with, so I don't know the final result.
_
"Are you alright?"
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Hooman "Goh" Braun
Human Rigger
German born (half-Iranian, half-German)
Primary Specialization: Rigging and drones, Control of enemy drone networks, Communications
Secondary Specialization: Electronics, Heavy Weapons
</font>
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Villem "Droz" Drodowyzc
Human
Polish Nationality
Primary Specialization: Heavy Weapons/Sniping
Secondary Specialization: Combat Medic

Strength: 8
Quickness: 11
Body: 12
Charisma: 6
Intelligence: 6
Willpower: 7
Essence:
Magic:
Reaction: 13 +3d6

Skills
Athletics: 11
Diving: 7
Heavy Weapons: 10
Thrown Weapons: 3
Unarmed Combat: 5
Underwater Combat: 5
Parachuting: 6
Rifle: 13
Stealth: 9
Biotech: 6
Demolitions: 5
Electronics: 6
Launch Weapons: 9
Small Unit Tactics: 5
Etiquette: 6
Leadership: 3
Negotiation: 5
Car: 3

Knowledge
Corporate Law: 3
Corporate Politics: 4
Corpsec Tactics: 3
Classical Music: 3
European Politics: 4

Languages
Polish: 6
English: 5
German: 5
Japanese: 5
Russian: 5
Spanish: 5

Bioware (all cultured)
Enhanced Articulation
Muscle Augmentation (Rtg. 2)
Muscle Toner (Rtg. 4)
Synthcardium (Rtg. 2)
Reflex Recorder – Athletics
Reflex Recorder – Rifle

Cyberware (all delta grade)
Balance Augmenter
Transducer
Orientation System
Ceramic Bone Lacing
Dermal Sheathing (Rtg. 3)
Smartlink – II
Rangefinder
Datajack (30MP of memory)
Knowsoft Link
Cybernetic Eyes w/ Flare Compensation, Thermographic Vision, Low Light Vision, Image Link, and Electronic Magnification (Rtg. 3)
Wired Reflexes (Rtg. 2)
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Ok, sorry everyone, my phone line was disconnected until yesterday...AT&T and Ameritech have caused me much blood-pressure in the last 2 weeks.

This is my character concept (albeit a little thin at the moment):

Warrant Officer (does not want to be in command)
Small arms, hand-to-hand combat and tactics expert (I really want the sniper role)
German decent human male
Mid to late 30's
Experience in small corporate combat engagements
Used as an assassin on many occasions (close-quarters and sniper) for high-profile targets
ALL corporate, but even more loyal to his team members, would rather die than betray a trust
Moderately cybered...all to enhance the specialized skills involving combat
Has all the confidence in the world in his abilities and the abilities of teammates.

Past unknown to all but the highest corporate officials, and of course, the character himself...hereditary ties to SK a mystery

Does whatever it takes to complete a mission, even at the cost of himself

Okay, now I need input...I'm reading this thread, but it's gonna take me some time to work it all out with my character...fire me an email or PM with your suggestions please.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Cazmonster raises his eraser over his Rifles - 13 skill.

If Uncle Joeseph wants to be the sniper, that's fine. Droz works out just as well up close and personal. Also, I was considering dropping one level of wired reflexes and taking a tactical computer instead. That might work out better if I'm 3278's XO.

What does everybody think?
Sludig
Tasty Human

Post by Sludig »

Caz: no reason we can't have two long rifles, or the ability to have two long rifles.

The Tac comp is a good idea though.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Caz: While I was skimming the thread to catch back up, I didn't notice you were in the sniper role (it was late and I was trying to read everything). My character isn't going to concentrate on things like demolitions and stuff. Rather, I'm thinking in terms of good hand-to-hand, rifles, pistols and some others to flesh out the 'expert' role. I'd like for him to compliment Droz's skills, not replace them or be counterproductive.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Basic stats for Arista now added to the database. Not that I can play with it now, but noticed it doesn't record line breaks, or have a field for race. If anyone has any other fields they would like added to the form, please drop me a line on the WinternightEX forums.
_
"Are you alright?"
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

UncleJoseph wrote:I'd like for him to compliment Droz's skills, not replace them or be counterproductive.
Cool, that works, as Droz is supposed to be a lot like an all around trooper, you can drop him out of an airplane, send him out of a submarine and he'll get to the target and do what has to be done to it. I really am trying to pile a bunch of general skills on top of a scary Rifle skill.

And I will check with Cash and some other folks in medius Gathering about Tactical Comps. Cash might be taking one too.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

I'll probably have my guy take a TacComp also, since it only makes sense for the whole team concept
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Mu ha ha ha! Initiative bonuses all around!
Sludig
Tasty Human

Post by Sludig »

Nikita's not going to take one, then again, I'm not messing with cyber on her.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Helm won't have one, either, but he doesn't need one; that's what training and a damn smart, modified XO does.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Droz grins and flexes.
Sludig
Tasty Human

Post by Sludig »

Kain and I were talking about his char. His character will end up being a cyberzombies who was really injured during a mission, the same one that killed the team membe that Nikita will end up replacing. Thoughts?
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

I take issue with Cyberzombies in this setting. If no one but heavily trained and indoctrinated soldiers can be part of the Dragons, how can someone who is being held together with spit, duct tape, and a memory inducer make it on the team? It's not just a matter of how much damage he can pump out or take, it's a matter of corporate loyalty. I don't think cyberzombies really have the necessary emotional and psychological strength to be trusted to the sorts of missions the Dragons will be assigned.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Well, here's the idea for my 'zombie:

He was one of the Dragons' top operatives until the last mission he was on. During the last mission, he and most of his team were almost completely destroyed. My character would have taken serious damage. He would have been left a cripple, if not killed outright by his injuries. S&K (one of the few corps with the capability and facilities to use cybermancy) decided that he was far too valuable to allow to die from his injuries, even if cybermancy could only extend his life for another 1-2 years. Being wholly loyal to the corp, and basically being a good soldier who never questions his superiors, and who hasn't made his own choices about his lifestyle for years, my character did not refuse the /offer/ to be repaired by cyberbetics and magic.

Our first mission as a team will be his first mission as a 'zombie. He has not yet begun to feel the dissociation and detachment that plagues 'zombies. As the game progresses, he will start to exhibit symtoms and side effects of cybermancy. My thinking is that at the end of our mission, he will fall victim to fading away...as all good warriors should.

But right now, he is, if not in flesh and blood, the same elite warrior as before (with a more unique twist). I have not worked out the details yet, but I was about to start putting him on paper. If there are major objections, please speak up... Caz: if you still have major issues let me know. I don't think the loyalty and emotional issues would be a problem at this stage of his cybermantic evolution. My initial concept would have him at a -2 essence at the most (we'll see where he falls after i get some numbers on paper, but i won't let him go below -2).

I have thought long and hard about how a 'zombie would play out in our game format, and I think it would work. However, he would not be a /typical/ dragon, and would slowly become a machine of war over being a normal person dedicated to S&K. Also, Paul and I chatted briefly on the subject and he is on board with my 'zombie concept. However, if the rest of the team won't accept it or believes that it simply won't work, then I won't create a 'zombie. I do, however, think it would add a very interesting element to the game.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Okay, now that there's more of an explanation behind your zombification, I can buy it.

As his whole life before the cz process was SK, I can see how he'd be able to hold out, and since he's freshly reanimated, even better.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Alright, since Caz is on board with my 'zombie idea, and since nobody else has spoken up, I'll go ahead and put him on paper.

One of the things that I am questioning is the idea that our characters have worked as a team for most of their SK service. I picture a /pool/ of personnel (dragons) who have all worked together on many occasions. For example, many of the Gold Team members have worked with Blue Team members in past missions.

Say SK has a mission that requires a certain type of soldier. They put the mission profile into a computer, and the computer prints a list of the most qualified personnel for the job (which also would give the mission the best odds for success). Of course, the dragons are divided into teams for /routine/ work. But I also picture some members being pulled once and awhile for specific assignments with other personnel. If SK contracts for an assassination, they wouldn't need a fire team...they would draw their best snipers and killers for that mission. Likewise, if they were doing a simple extraction, they would pull their best gun bunnies and mages.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Honestly, I would much rather go on the training for a team method. Going to other way really isn't anything different than a fixer and a bunch of runners. Also the question comes up of what's the difference for routine and special work for a Dragon? Assination and traceless extraction are the routine, everything they do is top-notch, 100% high risk missions. I've gotten the impression that Dragons are like S-K's trump card, when regular agents and troops or runners won't work, they send in a team of Dragons to handle it.
_
"Are you alright?"
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Just so everyone knows I opted for a lower essence amount for Valor, since it fits with the whole character history that preceeds our campaign. He is officially at -3.825 essence.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Codename: Valor
Race: Human
Nationality: German
Primary Specialization: Sniper/Small arms combat
Secondary Specializtion: Hand-to-hand combat

Attributes:
BOD: 9
STR: 9/10
QCK: 12/13
INT: 8
WIL: 2
CHA: 5
ESS: -3.825
MGC:
RCT: 16+5D6

Skills:
Parachuting: 6
Diving: 6
Athletics: 10
Stealth: 8
Small Unit Tactics: 8
Interrogation: 3
Intimidation: 4
Aura Reading: 3
Car: 2

Edged Weapons: 5
Cyber-implant Combat: 6
Unarmed Combat: 10
Pistols: 8
Rifles: 15
Assault Rifles: 8
Gunnery: 8

Knowledge:
Corporate Etiquette: 5
Corporate Law: 3
Military Etiquette: 5
English: 4
German: 5

Cyberware (Delta-Grade):
Cybertorso (obvious)
Right and Left Cyberarms (obvious):
- Quickness Modification (8)
- Strength Modification (9)
- Smartlink II
- Cyberspurs (retractable)
Right and Left Cyberlegs (obvious):
- Quickness Modification (9)
- Strength Modification (10)
- Cyberfins
Right and Left Cybereyes:
- Flare compensation, Digi-MagX3, Image Link, Low-light, Thermographic,
Retinal Clock
Right and Left Cyberears:
- Amper, Damper, Hi-Freq, Low-Freq, Recorder
Move-by-Wire (Rating 4)
Datajack
Knowsoft Link
Headware Memory 105Mp
Spatial Recognizer
Orientation System
Tactical Computer (Rating 4)
- Battletac Modification
- Battletac Cyberlink
Invoked Memory Stimulator
Auto-Injector
- Full compliment of required compounds
- 3 doses of Kamikaze

Bioware (Cultured):
Synthacardium
Nephritic Screen
Sleep Regulator
Cerebral Booster

Edges/Flaws:
Will to Live
Resistance to Pathogens
High Pain Tolerance
And one very secret, very bad flaw.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

So whose chatracters are we missing? I'm sorry, but I'm still totally unclear who needs to give what. At this point, I really barely know who's on the team, so much has changed. Can we get a breakdown, anyone, of what we need and what we're missing?
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Quick progress summary:

Player - Character Name/Callsign - Stats status - Background Status
Me - Arista/Maelstrom - Stats in database - Background needs finishing
UJ - Rolff/Valor - Stats on board - ?
3278 - Alexin/Helm - ? - Background needs finishing
Sludig - Nikita/Jinx - Stats in database - Background in database
Caz - Villiem/Droz - Stats on board - ?
Cash - Hooman/Goh - ? - ?

Paul wants:
Name
Rank
Nationality
Date of Birth
Birthplace
Sex
Distinguishing Features

And a team callsign. Other than team callsign (which you are free to create, 32) all apppropriate fields have been added to the database, so you should be able to simply pull the info off there if everyone gets their characters into it.
_
"Are you alright?"
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Team Gold is open to post now. Hooman, Rolff, Arista, you're all with me, on our way to the briefing on foot. We're on campus, so we've got only a couple-minute walk. Droz, you're on your own regarding how you'd like to get there. Jinx is already there.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

My post may need to be seriously altered, as Valor may not be a Lifer in Team Gold.

Is it just me, or are there really only three people who went to the War College in their youth, were in the same Class as Aleixen, and were assigned to Team Gold? And actually, I'm still just guessing on Doh.

Let's get all this information together ASAP, because Joseph can't post until I've corrected mine, if it needs to be, and none of the Lifers can post until I know who is one and change my post accordingly.

All of this brings up an interesting point in character creation; Aleixen is 27, which means he's been in command of Team Gold for a few years now. What the fuck happened - and how incompetent a commander is he - that there have been /so many/ openings in his Team? Did we get /nuked/ or something?
Jinx
Tasty Human

Post by Jinx »

32...no matter how good you are, and how good the training, we are spec ops...casualties will happen. We are groups that do High Risk missions that despite everything, injury and death is imminent.