Activism

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Activism

Post by UncleJoseph »

For my whole life, I've never gotten involved in any kind of activism. I don't put political signs in my yard, I don't typically belong to any organizations that have a "message." The NRA is an exception, and I'm only a member there for the firearms insurance plan and a few other benefits...the NRA, politically, is rather extreme. I don't send money to political candidates or parts or social causes. I just stay away from those things because I think they're silly or extreme or useless (no offense to anyone who does).

Some of my family, however, give money to political causes, activism groups, social change groups, etc. There are a few "awareness" organizations I've been considering joining as of late, however. The Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science is a strong candidate. American Atheists is another. In my old age, I've come to have stronger views on certain things (especially organized religion and politics...particularly freedom FROM both). So I find myself interested in supporting organizations that are aligned closely with my thoughts on such matters. It may be the wrong path to follow, since my wife is Catholic and generally politically conservative. Membership in such organizations has potential to put a strain on my marriage! Yet, I am, to my core, usually strongly opposed to activism of any kind...so why now am I considering it?
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.