Too many hobbies

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Too many hobbies

Post by UncleJoseph »

I have way too many interests...I think I have some form of Attention Deficit Disorder. I'll get all obsessed with something for 3-4 months, then change to another flavor-of-the-quarter.

There have, however, been 3 mainstays. I may put them down for a bit, but always come back to them:

Shooting
Preparedness
Aviation

Those are the 3 I am going to focus on from here on out. I'll still find time for camping or the occasional backpacking trip, but there are just too many things out there. I'll still dabble here and there, but not spend lots of money on the other things.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I'm in a similar situation. In my case, I know some of it comes from mental health: I latch onto a thing while it gives me happiness, but once the novelty wears off, it's just another thing, so I move on. I'm trying to fix the root of that problem, so I can go back to enjoying the shit I love. The big hobbies right now are:

1. Boating
2. Off-roading
3. Writing

Writing is fucking easy, and cheap. It's like making music: I don't have to work for it, it just happens when I'm not looking. But I've been out of the habit for a while - since I left the internet, basically - but have been working on picking it up again.

Boating is expensive, although not at a level most of you would recognize. We've been having awesome luck with a trolling motor mount we built for the canoe, which can drive us along for 3-10 hours at full speed - we don't know how long yet, because we've never fully drained a battery. It's getting tougher, though, as my daughter's schedule fills up with her own things, so I need to either find another canoe buddy, or else find a 100 lb weight to throw up front to keep the prow down. [Running in reverse, and sitting in the bow seat, doesn't quite work with all the weight of me, the motor, and the battery.] But within the next year - hopefully this winter - I plan to buy a small, half-destroyed motorboat, and restore it the way I'm doing the Jeep. Eventually, I hope to move up to a 30+ foot liveaboard, but that'll wait until my daughter and I aren't living in the same house, since she'll be taking all the pets.

Offroading is awesome, and I love it, but I just can't afford to keep the rig in top form. Hell, I can't afford to keep it in driveshafts! But I'm doing what I can with small budgets - a lot of taking apart, cleaning, rebuilding, and putting back together - until I've got our budget sorted out and can start putting real money - like, more than fifty bucks - into it.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Cheaper hobbies would be in order, it seems. But what fun would that be?
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.