Anti-government irony (a quick obvservation)

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Anti-government irony (a quick obvservation)

Post by UncleJoseph »

I've come across a lot of anti-government types in my job and personal life. By anti-government, I don't necessarily mean anti-police. Some of those folks are fairly moderate, and some are very extreme. At any rate, what I find ironic, is that many are ex-military (perhaps they had a bad experience that led them to hate "the system"). Still more ironic, is that so many of these guys purchase used government equipment like military surplus, used police cars, you name it (P.S. never, ever buy a used police car unless you have a very focused use for it, such as a taxi cab. There is a reason we get rid of them after 75,000-80,000 miles. They are completely worn out).

Anyway, I was driving around the other day and saw a used police car with a bunch of conspiracy theory type bumper stickers and labels, including InfoWars and a few others (no offense to anyone who likes Alex Jones). I just find it odd that a lot of the anti-government/conspiracy theory types still cling, in a manner of speaking, to government-related stuff.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

People who have bad experiences with large bureaucracies often have a sour taste. Given the size of the federal government, and the ease with which we could play the "those damn guys" game-well it all makes sense to me.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Yeah, I think that's exactly it. The same kind of thing happens in the corporate world: you work in big corporations and you see how they're busted, but yet you still pursue the same big-business lifestyle that experience has taught you to embrace. Very interesting observation.