Istanbul...

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Istanbul...

Post by Bonefish »

So, maybeyou knwo it but: Istanbul is currenctly rocked with protests and fightign between police and protesters. The turkish media is blacked-out, showing re-runs of food prep shows instead of news, and people are going nuts.

http://showdiscontent.com/
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Some of these images are simply amazing. We've got backhoes being used to attack police buses, women in dresses being blasted in the face with tear gas, lines of protesters polic calling the park for trash.
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Much of that region seems to be in more turmoil than it usually is.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Yeah, the region is a bit.. unstable. But I feel like, it's a good way. The middle east, for a long time, has had a patriarchal feel to it, where who your father's friends really matter. But there is this undercurrent there.

Turkey is a bit of an outlier thought. Ataturk established a somewhat secular state, and Turkey(for the past 500 years or so) has been seeking to align itself to western europe. When you look at these images, it's not people burning americans in effigy or anything, but middle class women and men seeking representation.

This whole thing started over the government wanting to build a mall where a park was, and the people resisted. There is just this strange resonance with me when I see beautiful women who I would consider dating getting sprayed with tear gas, and a collection of people of all sorts working together to clean up their protest site.

Pictures of students offering pizza to the cops who are tear gasing them, or pictues of rank upon rank of riot cops stretched out, laid on the ground by weariness and bullshit. The stories I hear from my friends in the diplomatic sector, and the pictures of people doing.. stuff...

What's real, ya know?