Media Center PC Build

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Media Center PC Build

Post by UncleJoseph »

Well a few weeks ago I broke down and ordered a Ceton InfiniTV PCI-E tv tuner card for my computer. Our cable provider only offers a 2-tuner card, which, oddly, is always having recording conflicts (I probably should watch less TV). In addition to expense, our company's DVR is old Motorla tech.

I'm planning on building a stand-alone media center PC, but I'm working out the kinks for now in my office PC. I'll be using our Xbox as one media extender, and then either another Xbox or Ceton's media extender for additional TVs. We will have a minimum of 3 TVs connected.

So far, the Ceton card works great. Set-up was easy, but I'm still trying to figure out all the nuances of Windows Media Center. I had a bunch of test shows that didn't record. But I think I have that solved. One thing I discovered, there's no way to wirelessly stream television, let alone HD television, using this method. I'll need to set up a dedicated wired network throughout the house for the TVs. The first floor won't be a problem, but getting cat-5 from the 1st to 2nd floor will be a wiring challenge.

My original PC had only a 90GB SSD drive. I had to delete every game and extraneous piece of software off of it, because Ceton requires 22 GB of space simply to be able to buffer live TV a la DVR style. I installed a 500 GB secondary drive to record TV, but Ceton uses the OS drive for the buffering...I'm exploring being able to change that. It won't matter on the actual media center PC build, though, since I'll put everything on the 500 GB drive (or a larger drive).

Getting rid of the DVR and other control boxes in the house will save some cash (about $20-25/month). The CableCard from our provider that plugs into the Ceton tuner is only $3.50/month. So if I can build the new PC with some careful planning, I should have a very flexible, fully-featured media center. I've also been experimenting with our DLNA capabilities. There are so many features that will integrate and make this new PC build a great addition. Hopefully I can execute it well!
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
sinsual
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by sinsual »

I recently added a wireless extender/repeater to my boss' house.

Above the main router, I mounted the first one to the ceiling, ran a hard line through the floor, to a second extender/repeater at floor level. Ran a power line from the baseboard on the second floor, to where the two boxes were, and plugged them both in on the second floor.
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Priced out most of the rest of the media center components...still looking at an additional $500-$600. Plus, the 500 GB drive I bought is not going to be big enough. I can /only/ record about 44 hrs of broadcast on this size, and that's not counting an OS and other utility install...should've gotten a 1 TB drive if I was going to do it all with a single drive.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Today I ordered a set of TRENDnet TPL-402E2K Powerline network adapters to try. I had a NewEgg coupon code to use with them, so I figured I'd give 'em a shot for $70. I want to see if these will provide enough bandwidth to stream video signal from my main PC. Since I can't do a regular wireless network to stream the signal, I'll see if I can use these adapters instead of running ethernet cable all over the place. If they work, I'll only need 2 more adapters to run TV to each room. This will save tons of time, and only be slightly more expensive than running cable.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

The TRENDnet adapters seem to work like a charm. I am now streaming full HD from my PC upstairs to my Xbox in the living room downstairs. A signal strength test showed full signal to the Xbox via the TRENDnet Powerline network. I'm noticing a slight shake to the image on the big screen, though. I don't know if this is due to the network itself, or maybe some line noise since I'm using the house power circuit as my network "cable" or if there's something going on with the tuner or PC drive. The shaky image isn't something I probably would've noticed on my PC monitor.

I'll experiment a little more with the signal, and check non-HD vs HD...but so far, it's not so bad that it makes the viewing terrible. So far, I think this will be the easiest solution to pipe HTPC signal to any TV in the house, and solves a whole bunch of labor/wiring issues.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Ran another test with standard definition recordings...no picture jitter that I can see. More testing needed. I may need to adjust something on the xBox or HTPC. But it could simply be the high amount of bandwidth required for the HD signal. Still, since the Xbox is reporting the highest possible signal from the network, which is dedicated solely to the HTPC signal, I wonder if some other tuning is required with media center or the HTPC.

EDIT: I may have to adjust the refresh rates on the devices to bring them into sync, but I'm not sure why it would happen on HD signal and not standard definition. Or maybe it's just much more noticeable with HD signals...
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Well, I don't know what the image shake was on the TRENDnet adapters was, but it's gone now. Funny thing, though, is when the subwoofer for the stereo is on/plugged in. Whenever the adapters are streaming data, the subwoofer picks up a little bit of line noise over the power cable and transmits it as a music signal. It is barely perceptible, and comes across as a slight flutter sound. But I have no idea how to isolate it and remove it, except to unplug the subwoofer. Of course, if the subwoofer is playing an actual audio signal, you don't notice it at all.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Definitely got some EMI going on there. Sounds like you need to isolate some grounds?
sinsual
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by sinsual »

UncleJoseph wrote:Well, I don't know what the image shake was on the TRENDnet adapters was, but it's gone now. Funny thing, though, is when the subwoofer for the stereo is on/plugged in. Whenever the adapters are streaming data, the subwoofer picks up a little bit of line noise over the power cable and transmits it as a music signal. It is barely perceptible, and comes across as a slight flutter sound. But I have no idea how to isolate it and remove it, except to unplug the subwoofer. Of course, if the subwoofer is playing an actual audio signal, you don't notice it at all.
You need shielded cabling. As Earl mentioned, your sub is picking up EMI. He is also of course right about the grounds.

You inspired me...
Picked up a Dell Optiplex Dual Core Intel 2.6ghz "workstation" that was being phased out at work for a whopping $25 with a fresh clean install of Winblows 7.

$54 in upgraded ram.
$49 for New Power supply(500w vs 230w)
$48 for Radeon 6450 HD graphics card (2g)
$14 for add in Graphics card fan
Still to order and install is a Blu Ray player.
I also need to look into tuning the graphics card better to work with the $248 Black Friday at Walmart Emerson 52" LCD.
I do have one more PCIe (1x) slot still open, so when we get a real sound system for the living room I can put an add in sound card. Right now the Radeon is pulling double duty as video and sound.
I also need to hack my 500gb portable drive and install it to replace the factory 80gb workstation hard drive that came with the tower.
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...