Creating your own PDF's?

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Serious Paul
Devil

Creating your own PDF's?

Post by Serious Paul »

So any suggestions on how to make my own PDF files? Basically I want to construct my own character sheets for Shadowrun. Any suggestions would be welcome.
paladin2019
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by paladin2019 »

I know Word allows you save as pdf, Excel might as well.
-call me Andy, dammit
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

What is it you'd like to create a PDF out of? See, a PDF is created not whole and entire as a thing unto itself, it's something you convert an existing document to. So you've got a Word file, and you want to make it so people without word [but with Reader] can view it, then you snag this puppy. But as a rule, the thing you need to make PDFs out of whatever is Acrobat, Adobe's product made specifically for making PDFs out of shit. It's expensive, but, you know, widely available at the low, low price of $torrent.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Assuming I don't have Word, and can I create something useful with that sort of thing or not? I honestly don't know.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Well, now that I think about it, there's an extension for OpenOffice that'll do PDF open, edit, and convert.
Nicephorus
Bulldrekker

Post by Nicephorus »

There are quite a few pdf print drivers. Once installed, you click print in any software, and choose pdf as the printer output.
Sorry. I meant "psychometric analysis" in the Biblical sense. - Tip Wilkin.
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

PrimoPDF is pretty solid for the print-to-pdf option, I've used it a bit.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Hmmm, and suddenly I have too many options. Crap. Okay well if I get any free time again this gives me a starting point right?
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Serious Paul wrote:Hmmm, and suddenly I have too many options. Crap. Okay well if I get any free time again this gives me a starting point right?
I have been using OpenOffice (completely free) for a long time now as an alternative to Microsoft Office. OpenOffice is a complete office suite that includes the ability to read almost all of Microsoft's document formats, including the new XML coding they started using with Office 2007 (I think that's when they started using it). With OpenOffice, you can export spreadsheets or word processor documents to PDF format...it's very easy. OpenOffice is also a very efficient piece of software and doesn't take up much space on the hard drive. I also have Microsoft Office 2010, but I often prefer OpenOffice. It's not 100% compatible with Microsoft (occasionally you will get formatting errors in one or the other if you're opening a file from one suite in another, but generally it works fine).

I highly recommend going this route unless you want to be able to directly edit PDFs. Otherwise, if you're creating from scratch, just create and edit in OpenOffice Writer, and then save/export the final document to PDF. This is exactly what I do for the PDFs on my website.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

And if I'm not mistaken, you guys already have OpenOffice, yeah?
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Yup. Free time and an actual brain are all that stand in the way of my success.