The Compleat Lovecraftian Bar Guide

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Ancient History
Demon

The Compleat Lovecraftian Bar Guide

Post by Ancient History »

The place was Dream Haven books, the price was $12. I have a habit, born of many long journeys dealing with limited resources, of rooting around after I've found what I was looking for, to see what else there might be of interest. In this case, my primary target was H.P. Lovecraft's Letters to Robert Bloch Supplement, and the extra goodies I carried up to the checkout was a very fine copy of Spawn of Cthulhu and a slim yellow pamphlet that announced itself as The Compleat Lovecraftian Bar Guide - A Compendium of Cthulhu Mythological, denomiacal, and diabolical beverages: their preparation, uses, and history (G. E. Drake and Sherry Taylor, The Golden Goblin Press, 1976) - and it was signed by Drake.

The foreword is one page and, if I'm any sort of judge, practically perfect for the product. It states the intent and reasoning behind the project, and recounts Samuel Loveman's anecdote about Lovecraft's spiked drink. The second page is a copy of the drinking song from Lovecraft's "The Tomb" - again, exactly perfect for such an endeavor. The rest of the book, while entertaining and full of several tasty-sounding drink recipes, falls a little short however. Part of this is due to layout - slim as the pamphlet is, they could easily have crammed in at least 50% more drink recipes with no loss of readability. As it is, there are many pages with huge gaps of blank paper between brief, brief recipes.

The recipes themselves all have colorful Lovecraftian names like the Klarkash-Tonic, Zadok Allen's Zombie, Gin and Miskatonic, Cthulhu's Revenge, and Whately Wallbanger but aside from a few interesting exceptions, have nothing to do their supposed inspirations. For example, the recipe for a Chaugnar Faugn Frappe consists of:
Pack a Sherry glass with shaved ice, and fill with a cherry liquer, such as Peter Heering's.
On the other hand, the recipes are all fairly simple and can be made by even the most slightly competent bartender with a fully stocked bar, or a dedicated amateur willing to drop a little coin at the liquor store.

The most interesting recipes have longer write-ups, detailing the hazy and exotic history of their historic cocktails - not all of which are from the Mythos, and several of which are basically illegal if made as directed. Case in point:
The Alhazred Cocktail
Abdul Ahazred, the "mad poet" of Sanaa, in Yemen, lived circa A.D. 700 to 738. After travels which took hi from the ruins of Babylon and Memphis to the great southern desert of Arabia - the Roba El Khaliyeh or "empty space" of the ancients, and where Alhazred claimed to have seen the fabulous Irem, City of Pillars, he settled in Damascus, where he penned one of the most tremendous occult volumes of all time, the Al Azif. This book was to see centuries of suppression, and yet survive in various translations. Even today it is rarely seen, the few copies being closely guarded.

It was recorded by Ebon Khallikan, Alhazred's twelfth century biographer, that during the writing of the Azif, Alhazred was observed to try to relax at times by drinking a cup of liquor laced with oil of hashish. The only liquor available at the time would have been a species of rum, which had been invented in Asia before the time of Jesus.

2 jiggers Demerrara Rum (or other dark rum)
2 to 5 drops hashish oil (Arabian, if available) according to strength desired

Drip the oil into the rum and stir carefully. Add slice of lime. If desired, ice could be added, or a mixer. Abdul undoubtedly took his neat.
Ingredients in some of these other "exotic" cocktails include absinthe, opium, laudanum, and cantharides (the latter two in a recipe attributed to Aleister Crowley, "Kubla Khan #2").

The "Compleat Lovecraftian Bar Guide" ends on page 13 with a few words of wisdom, including "If you find yourself able to translate the Duriac script of Al Azif, you've had enough."
AtemHutlrt
Bulldrekker

Re: The Compleat Lovecraftian Bar Guide

Post by AtemHutlrt »

Ancient History wrote:Ingredients in some of these other "exotic" cocktails include absinthe, opium, laudanum, and cantharides (the latter two in a recipe attributed to Aleister Crowley, "Kubla Khan #2").
We've been drinking a good amount of absinthe around here lately, and, though there may be a bit of a placebo-effect involved, it does make painting reeeally fun.
The sun shines in my bedroom
when you play;
and the rain it always starts
when you go away
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

While I've been a gin martini guy for several years now (7+), absinthe has recently been displacing my more regular martinis. Absinthe is very expensive by comparison, but I've really been enjoying it. I have to limit myself to no more than 2 drinks, however, because I simply will not stop until it's all gone if I delve into a 3rd drink. Not only are absinthe hangovers the worst on earth, but after 3 drinks, I become very loose-tongued. You might call it my truth serum, but I often tell other people's truths. My wife is not a fan of my behavior while drinking absinthe.

I prepare it using the traditional French method (I'm mostly French, ethnically speaking, so it's only fitting), and I'm now considering purchasing an absinthe fountain. I've introduced about two dozen people to it, and, aside from those that don't like the anise taste, most are now at least recreational drinkers of absinthe. So a fountain seems prudent.

At any rate, as long as I can limit myself to two drinks, it's a great cocktail with no downsides (except expense).
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

I've come to realize that the more expensive absinthe is well worth the expense, especially if you drink a little too much. Both the intoxication and the hangovers are much more manageable with the stuff that's $75/bottle (Grand Absente) rather than the $50/bottle stuff...now I just need an absinthe fountain.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
sinsual
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by sinsual »

I got rather fond of Lucid and Mansynthe before I quit drinking.
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
O-Funk!
Tasty Human

Post by O-Funk! »

If dream haven as in s mpls?