Discuss: Marmite

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Ancient History
Demon

Discuss: Marmite

Post by Ancient History »

"Marmite is a sad end for the hardworking yeast which has valiantly made beer."

...such was told to me by a British person today, and I'm not entirely sure I agree with it. Granted, I'm not tremendously enamored with marmite...or beer...but I think as a foodstuff it has sufficient merits to be considered a worthy end for yeast.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I haven't had it, although I'd like to try it. My conscience is unburdened by the plight of the yeast.
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

It's okay. It's an acquired taste. It's fucking awful at first. Salty. But after a while, you find yourself craving it. That said, we bought a single bottle of the NZ Marmite and it lasted like two years before I finally threw it out.

What the hell else are you going to do with old brewer's yeast? If you can make some kind of foodstuff out of it, you might as well.
It's all about crystal meth and Gwar. - Hauze
AtemHutlrt
Bulldrekker

Post by AtemHutlrt »

I'm not sure it exists in stores around here, but I've never really looked. It does sound like something I'd like.
The sun shines in my bedroom
when you play;
and the rain it always starts
when you go away
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

I thought Marmites were relatives of ferrets and weasals...
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
Iantha
Bulldrekker

Post by Iantha »

3278 wrote:I haven't had it, although I'd like to try it. My conscience is unburdened by the plight of the yeast.
I have some here. Remind me next you pass through.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

I just tried some of this for the first time a month or so back. It was pretty freaking hideous.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Iantha
Bulldrekker

Post by Iantha »

I really like Marmite. The trick is to not gob it on and to instead spread it thinly.