A question about morals, ethics, and whatnot

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

A question about morals, ethics, and whatnot

Post by Van Der Litreb »

Aristotle, Kant, and Nietzsche are considered some of our most important philosophers, but considered women to be worth a pile of dirt.
Richard Wagner composed some of the most impressive (and certainly the longest) operas ever made, but was also horribly antisemitic, as per the times.
H.P. Lovecraft wrote unique and highly influential stories, but had strong racist opinions, often voiced in his literature.
Mother Teresa built hospices for the many poor all over India, but used them for Catholic missionary work rather than actual treatments.
Mahatma Gandhi achieved amazing things through non-violent civil disobedience, but considered Africans to be subhuman.
Anne Frank wrote one of the most touching and important books ever published, but didn't pay rent the whole time she wrote it.
Frank Miller wrote some fantastic comic books, but has since become a mysogynistic douche bag.
Orson Scott Card has written highly popular (and supposedly very good) science fiction novels, but believes homosexuality is a disease which should be outlawed.
Martin Luther told the the Pope and the Catholic church to stuff it, but also believed that Jews should be forcibly evicted from Europe.

The list goes on, but I'm sure you get the picture.

Now, the question(s) is this: at which point are you able to appreciate something despite it being tainted by, er, ethically incompatible issues? Are excuses such as "Oh, he was just a product of his times." acceptable?
\m/
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

Even the greatest of people are only human, with human prejudices, flaws, and stupidities. That doesn't normally detract from their achievements or impact on history, or mean that the people or their faults should be demonized or forgotten. As long as those failings are recognized, their achievements can still be celebrated, while their errors become warnings against the very views they held.

And, sometimes, you can't separate the person, their triumphs and their failings from each other. Lovecraft (I'm writing an essay that deals with this, so HPL is on my mind) was a racist, sometimes to an embarrassing degree - but that virulent strain became the seed of some of his most important work in stories like The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

Of course, the problem is when the flaws overcome the achievement - people that say they admire Hitler for his successes are glossing over the tremendous scope of his crimes and failings, both as leader of Germany and as a human being.
Are excuses such as "Oh, he was just a product of his times." acceptable?
As an explanation, it is acceptable; as an excuse, it is not. There is, for example, at no point in time in the history of the American colonies when someone did not preach against slavery.
Serious Paul
Devil

Re: A question about morals, ethics, and whatnot

Post by Serious Paul »

Van Der Litreb wrote:Now, the question(s) is this: at which point are you able to appreciate something despite it being tainted by, er, ethically incompatible issues? Are excuses such as "Oh, he was just a product of his times." acceptable?
I'll be honest my like for a piece of art, or social commentary should not be confused with a like for the person making it. I purposefully try not to do a lot of looking at the political views or personal beliefs of the people making the art I like because all too often it's disappointing at best.

So for example I really like Tool. I know the lead singer makes wine-but that's about as far as it goes for me. I couldn't tell you if he's married or has kids, I can't even name the rest of the band. I'm actually a little turned of by the cult of celebrity my nation seems to be so happy pursuing most of the time.

As for justification-well I have no answers here. Like Bob, I agree that celebrities are just people. And people...well let's just say I don't hold the highest expectations of people and call it good.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

How do I "like" Paul's comment? It's basically what I'd say.

Sometimes you have to appreciate the art or whatever, independent of the artist. I know some douche-bag artists and musicians, but I still like their work. I just can't stand them.
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

As I reread my post I guess I should I say this too: I am somewhat a moral relativist. I do think morality is a flexible thing, and one mans sin is another habit. This is not to say I think there is no good or evil, because I've seen some things that I do believe I've seen some pretty damned inhuman and evil people. But as it applies to this discussion:

Yeah I can enjoy a Mel Gibson movie, even though it seems he's tried really hard to become a human turd. On the flip side, I also don't go out of my way to support his endeavors with my free time and dollars.

I enjoyed Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game", but I don't agree with his stance on sexuality. Now there's a difference between Card saying "I hate gay people", and say Pol Pot murdering a few million of his country men. One of the pysch's at the prison always says "The difference between most people and an actual psychopath isn't that they think differently-it's that the psychopath acts on those thoughts."

People can be vividly entertaining, and still have massive, even tragic flaws. Hell that basically describes every poster on this board.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Serious Paul wrote:Hell that basically describes every poster on this board.
I thought we agreed not to talk about my hairy feet.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Well that drastically limit's what we can discuss doesn't it? So any else watch the Goonies...?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

That's hilarious: Ana and I were discussing just this today. [Yes, imagine how much fun it is to be my child.] She's reading The Odyssey in school, and so we were talking about whether or not it was "right" of Odysseus to blind Polyphemus, and I asked her if she'd noticed anything about killing in the book; she noted that everyone seems pretty cavalier about it, as befits the times.

So we talked about cultural morality, and absolute morality. Chinese people bred our dog to fight in pits; were they wrong to do so, in a time when dogs were considered property? Will we be similarly "wrong" in the future, for eating cows and enslaving horses? If we can forgive the Chinese for not knowing better, for behaving according to the dictates of their culture, can we forgive Michael Vick?

We don't have an answer. Well, I do, but as I told her, almost no one likes it: we invented morality. It's not objective, or independent of humanity; it didn't exist before we did. We're all a product of our time and place, and I accept that of everyone, and have little difficulty appreciating their works without judgment, at least on my more rational days.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

3278 wrote:If we can forgive the Chinese for not knowing better, for behaving according to the dictates of their culture, can we forgive Michael Vick?
I'll think about it, if he brings it home.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

3278 wrote:Well, I do, but as I told her, almost no one likes it: we invented morality. It's not objective, or independent of humanity; it didn't exist before we did. We're all a product of our time and place, and I accept that of everyone, and have little difficulty appreciating their works without judgment, at least on my more rational days.
This perfectly expresses how I feel.
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Van Der Litreb »

Thanks for the responses, but I'm a little disappointed no one commented on my Anne Frank crack. :)
\m/
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Van Der Litreb wrote:Thanks for the responses, but I'm a little disappointed no one commented on my Anne Frank crack. :)
Seriously, fuck Anne Frank. The Ninja and I visited her house in Amsterdam and she wasn't even there.
Iantha
Bulldrekker

Post by Iantha »

Jeff Hauze wrote:
Serious Paul wrote:Hell that basically describes every poster on this board.
I thought we agreed not to talk about my hairy feet.
Hey! I'm the Kender-foot around here.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Iantha wrote:Hey! I'm the Kender-foot around here.
I don't think (but honestly don't recall) kender have hairy feet. I think that's more dwarf/halfling. The Great Google didn't want to answer me (but it did give some hysterical results).
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Jeff is right: Kender were never portrayed as hairy-footed. They often wore boots, and were a bit more elfin in description than halflings/hobbits. Less short and portly, more sized like 10 year olds.

In fact, Kender were always portrayed as a sort of arrested pre-teen, rather than the more stolid and laid-back halflings. I always saw kender as over-active, with a short attention span, a complete naivete towards danger, compulsive curiosity and klepto traits. Their homeland, for example, lacks any sort of regulation for buildings, and so Kender cities ar mishmashes of half built, half designed structures.

I actually liked Kender, because, well, i was like them at one point, and they were a bit more original than simple hobbits and halflings. I mean, sure, borrow from tolkien a bit, but why not have some different stuff too! I actually liked a LOT of Dragonlance's races: Minotaurs were not just monsters, they were PEOPLE, for example.
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
Iantha
Bulldrekker

Post by Iantha »

Ok, my bad.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Eh, some of us have lives, while others(such as myself) have... geekery.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Man, I heard a really good Anne Frank joke within the last week, too, and I can't remember what it was.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

3278 wrote:Man, I heard a really good Anne Frank joke within the last week, too, and I can't remember what it was.
Remember damnit!

I heard a good Jewish joke the other day.

Where do you send a Jewish kid with ADD?

Answer: To a concentration camp.
AtemHutlrt
Bulldrekker

Post by AtemHutlrt »

I find Anne Frank jokes highly inappropriate. The poor girl's life was an absolute horror: not only did she have her diary published, which is every girl's worst nightmare, but then she didn't even get paid for it, which is every Jew's worst nightmare!
The sun shines in my bedroom
when you play;
and the rain it always starts
when you go away
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

AtemHutlrt wrote:I find Anne Frank jokes highly inappropriate. The poor girl's life was an absolute horror: not only did she have her diary published, which is every girl's worst nightmare, but then she didn't even get paid for it, which is every Jew's worst nightmare!
+1, Like, whatever it takes.
SumDumQuim
Tasty Human

Post by SumDumQuim »

AtemHutlrt wrote:I find Anne Frank jokes highly inappropriate. The poor girl's life was an absolute horror: not only did she have her diary published, which is every girl's worst nightmare, but then she didn't even get paid for it, which is every Jew's worst nightmare!
*encore clap*
This is why I choke you when we fuck.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Ha ha ha! It's funny 'cause she's dead!
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Van Der Litreb »

And incidentally still on-topic. :)
\m/
SumDumQuim
Tasty Human

Post by SumDumQuim »

Crazy Elf wrote:
Ha ha ha! It's funny 'cause she's dead!
Hopefully you'll be funnier then too....

WHAT? YOU KNOW YOU WERE ALL THINKING IT!!!
This is why I choke you when we fuck.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Eh, having a terrible view/doing bad as a person != damning every decent accomplishment ever achieved. I had an argument with a friend about how Dave Thomas (of Wendy's founding) might have been kinda homophobic but that doesn't mean his adoption foundation isn't worth supporting.

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I've had that damned Anne frank joke on my mind for weeks now. Still funny.