Online identification

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
No-Life Loser

Online identification

Post by 3278 »

Hey, who the hell is Pascal Wallisch? Is he one of ours? He's this really bright guy who added me in his Circles on Google+, but for the life of me I cannot place the name or writing style. He's from Germany, attended NYU and the University of Chicago, and generally just seems like the sort of person I'd like to hear more from, and I can't figure out why he'd know me.

This "use your real name on Google+" thing is all well and good, but it ends up meaning I don't know who the fuck most people are. Real names don't mean shit to me, and in fact I find them highly irritating: most of us have legal names much less interesting than your chosen ones.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Why ain't *I* on your Google+? I'd use Google+ if I had more than two friends on it!
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

You know, that's an interesting question. I added everyone on my Facebook, I thought, so you should have been added. Oh! Unless you didn't have your email address listed on the Facebook. Let me poke around and see if I can't find you.

[edit: Ta-da! Now you have a friend.]
AtemHutlrt
Bulldrekker

Post by AtemHutlrt »

I'm pretty sure Pascal Wallisch is Serious Paul.
The sun shines in my bedroom
when you play;
and the rain it always starts
when you go away
Iantha
Bulldrekker

Post by Iantha »

This person added me on Google+ as well and while I'm not entirely sure who he is, I rather like reading his posts.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

I guess this means I have to get on Google+ now.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

Google+ is both Twitter and Bizarro Twitter, in that in addition to adding people you'd like to follow, others can add you because they'd like to broadcast to you.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Salvation122 wrote:Google+ is both Twitter and Bizarro Twitter, in that in addition to adding people you'd like to follow, others can add you because they'd like to broadcast to you.
Say what, now? If I add Joe Bob to a circle of mine, his posts show up on my feed, but my posts don't show up on his unless he adds me to one of his circles, correct?
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

I think. The point is that you can far more easily use it to blindly broadcast - there's no reason whatsoever not to have someone in your Following circle, so if you want someone to read your junk, you stick them in Following and hope they reciprocate. On twitter, there's no good way to get someone to follow you.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Yeah, but see, that's what I don't get about what you're saying. Isn't it exactly like Twitter? I don't use Twitter, but my understanding is that I can follow you without you following me; if that's the case, I see what you say, but you don't see what I say. When I follow you, the only chance I have to see what you have to say is if you reciprocate, as you say, but isn't that exactly the same as Google+?
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

The difference is that Twitter doesn't have a method for asking someone to follow you. G+ does.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

I dont understand Google+. Granted, I felt the same about faceboot before i got a hundred friends. So maybe it's a critical mass thing?
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Salvation122 wrote:The difference is that Twitter doesn't have a method for asking someone to follow you. G+ does.
Well, I've no way of knowing the correctness of that because of my lack of experience with Twitter, but that doesn't really seem like what you were saying before. Am I right?
Bonefish wrote:I dont understand Google+.
Oh, dude, there's nothing to understand. It's just Facebook, but made by Google, so it's simpler and better-coded but otherwise basically the exact same thing. I prefer it because of its differences, but it's not like the difference between Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, and message forums, all of which do similar things but in radically different ways. Google+ is nothing but a shameless Facebook clone.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Bonefish wrote:Why ain't *I* on your Google+?
Ah, that's why: the email address I had for you, under which I originally added you to Google+, is outdated. [Hotmail, even.] So I didn't forget about you, yo.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Yeah, i forget that the Hotmail one is what most folks have.