It's raining, its pouring, Lansing is floating away

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

It's raining, its pouring, Lansing is floating away

Post by UncleJoseph »

Right now we're under a flash flood warning. My wife just called from work and said the south end of town is flooded badly. Her switchboard (she's 911 dispatcher) is lighting up with calls of cars floating through intersections, basements full of water, water-related electrical shorts, you name it. Fortunately I installed new gutters last autumn, so I have only some wetness on the floor. The water is literally leaching through my old sandstone foundation walls (doing as they were designed to do). But no flooding!
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Our fire departments and heavy rescue units are driving through the streets..in boats! Apparently a bunch of people's basements are caving in and houses are starting to collapse. Hundreds, if though thousands, of homes are affected. They're trying to evacuate, but it's not going well.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Dem, that really sucks nuts.
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Our water, electric and sewer utility just had a "critical system failure," and saw fit to notify 911 of the problem, but would not specify what the problem was.
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

Uh oh.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

That's insane! We got rain, but nothing particularly impressive. Greenville got 3.25 inches, which is a pretty good dumping, but not really flood material. I'll have to check the Grand on my way past today to see how it's doing in GR, but in Lansing it's up quite a lot: check out that rate of increase, from 2.5 to 8.3 feet in 12 hours. I can see why the streets flooded!
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Time to break out the Bro.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Lots of folks without power this morning. Whatever shall we do? Fire & Brimstone! Locust! Plague! We're all gonna die! Please God, help us!

Several homes flooded, but only one confirmed collapsed foundation at the moment. Red Cross came out to "save the day" with food, water and temporary shelter for some of the evacuees.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

UncleJoseph wrote:Our water, electric and sewer utility just had a "critical system failure," and saw fit to notify 911 of the problem, but would not specify what the problem was.
On top of whatever this critical system failure was, one of the water treatment plants had to be shut down yesterday (before the rain), because a worker dumped a truckload (literally, an actual truckload) of chemical into a vat of acid instead of pure water. The resulting reaction caused a large spill and vapor cloud in the plant. They've switched us over to another plant, but now there aren't any back-ups in place.
Iantha
Bulldrekker

Post by Iantha »

How is Lansing doing? Have things calmed down a bit? We got a good dumping but nothing extreme.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Iantha wrote:How is Lansing doing? Have things calmed down a bit? We got a good dumping but nothing extreme.
Well, things were getting back to normal until last night, when we got hammered with rain again. Another flash flood warning, and now there's lots of stuff underwater. Several homes on the south end are flooded up their mailboxes. Many basements with several feet of water.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

How has your basement held up?
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Same old same old...cracks everywhere. No cave-ins...just cracks. We had a little dampness on the walls and floor that first night, but nothing since.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

That's good then. I'm glad to hear your improvised fixes held up.