You Had Sex With Someone...

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Ancient History
Demon

You Had Sex With Someone...

Post by Ancient History »

...and you find out some time later they died. Would you feel obligated to attend their funeral?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Some girl I had a one-night stand with 20 years ago, almost certainly not. A girl I loved deeply, with whom I was in a long-term relationship for many years, almost certainly. Everything in-between would have to be judged on the merits of the specific situation for me.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

This happened to me. I had a FWB from years past. She got cancer and died in 2007. Because I had moved on, gotten married and broken off contact with her sometime prior to 2007, I didn't even know about her death until about 2009. When I found out, I was very saddened, and it struck a pretty deep chord in me. Although she was only a FWB from my past, I felt some loss about the situation. I would've attended her funeral if I had known about it.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
Iantha
Bulldrekker

Post by Iantha »

Yeah, I agree that it depends on the emotional attachment.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Is the reason they're dead because you fucked them? If so I think turning up would be inappropriate.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Crazy Elf wrote:Is the reason they're dead because you fucked them? If so I think turning up would be inappropriate.
Also, hilarious.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

Always trust the Elf to bring the doomcock.
AtemHutlrt
Bulldrekker

Post by AtemHutlrt »

Ha! Yeah, no. Sure,maybe I would, but, for me, this question isn't fundamentally different from "Would you go to the funeral of a former acquaintance?" Sometimes I would, sometimes I wouldn't [most of the time I wouldn't], and the "sex" aspect doesn't change things in any meaningful way. Maybe that sounds harsh, but I don't feel it is, and I suspect it's the dominant opinion. Some people I've had sex with, I just don't care very deeply about, though some I do. In some cases, I think it would actually be crass and inappropriate to go to the funeral.
The sun shines in my bedroom
when you play;
and the rain it always starts
when you go away
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

It's iffy. My first, I'd probably show up at her funeral, just because i've got a long history with her, and I'd like to pay respects. Some others, probably not so much.
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Ultimately, whether or not you go should have very little to do with your relationship with the deceased, and everything to do with the needs of the family and close friends of the deceased. The funeral isn't about you, and it's not about the dead person: it's about the truly grieving. If that's you, go; if it's not, don't go for their sake: they're dead, and couldn't possibly care less about what you're doing.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

3278 wrote:Ultimately, whether or not you go should have very little to do with your relationship with the deceased, and everything to do with the needs of the family and close friends of the deceased. The funeral isn't about you, and it's not about the dead person: it's about the truly grieving. If that's you, go; if it's not, don't go for their sake: they're dead, and couldn't possibly care less about what you're doing.
Yeah, I agree. In the case of Amber(Pyscho Bitch #1), after a 7 or 8 year on and off "relationship", I'm sort of emotionally attached: I do love her, in a fashion. Not in the sense that I would have a romantic relationship with her again, but she does sorta consider me the "father" of her son, and I would have to pay my respects to her.

In the case of Jess(Pyscho Herpes Bitch) and Michelle(Alleged Baby Momma/Aka Pycho Bitch #2), I'm split. I'm friendly enough with Jess's parents that I would want to offer them my emotional support, while in Michelles case, I wouldn't go: her parents hate me, and there's no reason for me to be there.
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
Nicephorus
Bulldrekker

Post by Nicephorus »

3278 wrote:Ultimately, whether or not you go should have very little to do with your relationship with the deceased, and everything to do with the needs of the family and close friends of the deceased. The funeral isn't about you, and it's not about the dead person: it's about the truly grieving. If that's you, go; if it's not, don't go for their sake: they're dead, and couldn't possibly care less about what you're doing.

But what if you wanted to have sex with them one last time?
Sorry. I meant "psychometric analysis" in the Biblical sense. - Tip Wilkin.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Well, I think then you probably want to arrange a private viewing. I've found funeral directors to be most cooperative in this endeavor.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

You people are fucked up.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Make sure to tip extra for the heated electric blankets before you start...unless cold and lying there was how she was like in life.

Only if I knew the family or friends. Otherwise, I can always visit the grave at a later time.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>