My new website project

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

My new website project

Post by UncleJoseph »

Hey Gang,

I've been working for several months in my spare time on a preparedness website. It is geared toward urban residential life, and is based on my experiences in life and my career as a law enforcement officer. The concept of preparedness is nothing knew to me, but it has really taken hold in the minds of many Americans. The goal of my site is to provide resources and information to urban residents so that they may increase their levels of self-reliance and preparedness for disasters, disruptions in infrastructure and other problems they may experience. For some our non-U.S. folks, my website might seem unnecessary or even silly, but I attribute that to cultural, personal, religious and personal differences. The site is not a "Zombie Apocalypse" type of site. It is intended to be a fact-based, common sense approach to increasing preparedness. Although it has a heavy American influence, I think anyone could benefit from the information we are providing. Right now, the site is completely free. We may offer an e-book in the future, but everything that's there is available for download or freely available directly on the site. We also have a YouTube channel set up, and are busy working on getting our first few videos rolling.

I'm asking anyone here who is interested to help evaluate and provide some feedback on the site. Further, if you have recommendations and suggestions, I'm open to them. A close friend and I created the site due to our common views on preparedness. However, we're reaching out to other folks who would like to contribute to our project.

You can view the site at:

UrbanReadiness.com

Please keep in mind that I'm not a website programmer. We used a basic template from our host's website builder app. Right now we're focusing on content (there's not a ton there yet, but we have more in the works right now), rather than glitz and glamor. In the future, we intend to build a custom site. So keep that in mind if you're thinking, "This site sucks..." ;)

Anyway, feel free to make any suggestions or report any errors. I would prefer you use the site's feedback form to do so, but you can message me here if you like.

Thanks!
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

General maintenance kit (Item/Quantity):

Duct tape (A/R)
WD40 (A/R)

A/R = As Required
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

Sweet. I've only got a few pages of stuff written so far, but I'll try to get moving on those articles we talked about.
It's all about crystal meth and Gwar. - Hauze
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Can everyone see the cityscape banner across the top of the website? For some reason, I now can't see it on Firefox 4.01 on my PC, but I can see it with my laptop running the same version. I can also see it in IE on both machines. Anyone else getting nothing but a gray background?
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

Firefox 3.6.17, I can see it just fine.
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

Looks good in every browser on every OS I have at home (stuff and things). I'm guessing there are some funky settings in your Firefox 4.0.1, or shift + reload.

It even works from Opera on the Wii. :)
Last edited by Raygun on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

I R Dumbs. Works fine now.
Iantha
Bulldrekker

Post by Iantha »

Very cool!
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

I'd like to see more stuff on improvisational methods, if that's possible. Particularly things such as securing shelter in a city, scratch made water filters, etc. Because in my mind, the worst case scenerio is always something where I've left my house for some reason(going to a friends house for example) and i may not be able to return. Then that nice water filtration system i have in my closet doesn't mean shit.

But I like it.
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Bonefish wrote:I'd like to see more stuff on improvisational methods, if that's possible. Particularly things such as securing shelter in a city, scratch made water filters, etc. Because in my mind, the worst case scenerio is always something where I've left my house for some reason(going to a friends house for example) and i may not be able to return. Then that nice water filtration system i have in my closet doesn't mean shit.

But I like it.
All in the works, my friend. Specifically, we have the scratch made filter thingy in the hopper now...might be a few months before we have the guide ready, but it'll be there eventually. We'll probably do an accompanying video for it as well.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Bonefish wrote:I'd like to see more stuff on improvisational methods, if that's possible. Particularly things such as securing shelter in a city, scratch made water filters, etc. Because in my mind, the worst case scenerio is always something where I've left my house for some reason(going to a friends house for example) and i may not be able to return. Then that nice water filtration system i have in my closet doesn't mean shit.
I really like this idea. You could easily do [and it sounds like you have plans to] a whole series on what to do when all your preparedness methods are nonviable for whatever reason.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

3278 wrote:
I really like this idea. You could easily do [and it sounds like you have plans to] a whole series on what to do when all your preparedness methods are nonviable for whatever reason.
Your brain is the one thing you can always carry with you!
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

If anyone knows an EMT or paramedic, it would be nice to see their point of view on medical supplies/kits and treatments for common issues.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Raygun wrote:If anyone knows an EMT or paramedic, it would be nice to see their point of view on medical supplies/kits and treatments for common issues.
My sister is a registered nurse...she's consulting too. I also work with craptons of paramedics, and we've sought their input on several upcoming articles.