The Death of Animalball

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Eva says:
blah blah blah
Mike says:
blah blah blah
Remember when we were cool and not old and this would have resulted in chants of "FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!" Yeah, I miss those times too.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

I bet Mike loses this easily.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

To be fair to Eva, I should probably say it correctly. I think it goes something like

"FARFENNUGGENMXPLX! Jensen."
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
SumDumQuim
Tasty Human

Post by SumDumQuim »

O.M.G I have missed having women around!! Also? I assumed they left because of me, because everything revolves around me. I am the sun, not you. I am the sun.

Winning.
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Van Der Litreb »

Huh. Guess I picked an interesting time to check back in.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Oh, don't worry, you're still a poll option. Vote Veed, Vote Often.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
SumDumQuim
Tasty Human

Post by SumDumQuim »

That is Veed? THE Veed? Holy cow it's like meeting royalty or Pauly Shore or something!!
This is why I choke you when we fuck.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

*pictures Veed staring in Biodome with that Baldwin guy*

*begins insane cackling*
Iantha
Bulldrekker

Post by Iantha »

SumDumQuim wrote:O.M.G I have missed having women around!! Also? I assumed they left because of me, because everything revolves around me. I am the sun, not you. I am the sun.

Winning.
I have a hard time keeping up regular posting because things feel "clique-y" to me, and it makes it hard for me to interact much. It's my own personal hang-up. I never really left AB, I was there just about every day reading the boards; 3278 have some interesting IRL conversations, and I still talk to Ancient History quite a bit online. I really like reading the boards, but it's easier for me to have one-on-one conversations with people, whether it is IRL or online.

Actually, I'm hoping to meet the Euro Crew at some point. I know that Paul met one of them this past year at GenCon, and said he really had a great time.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

*beams*
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

*pictures Deev as that giant Sun dude from the Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich commercials*

*begins insane cackling*
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Van Der Litreb »

SumDumQuim wrote:That is Veed? THE Veed? Holy cow it's like meeting royalty or Pauly Shore or something!!
I'd go with 'or something'. Actually, I'm remarkably identical to Pauly Shore, except completely opposite.

And who the fuck are you again, apart from some dumb cunt that just wandered in?

Oh, and welcome to Bulldrek. :)
\m/
SumDumQuim
Tasty Human

Post by SumDumQuim »

Oh my, you are as charming as they warned me you would be! :aww AND you know what quim is, so that puts you one up on my man!

I am with the band.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I guess I have a hard time picturing anyone harboring actual animosity-and frankly I've done and said some pretty damned stupid shit. I have a difficult time picturing any member of this forum, or any other for that matter, harboring an actual grudge.

As for the "Death of Animalball" I prefer to think of it as an end, and everything ends. Even Bulldrek will eventually end-that doesn't mean it's a bad thing, just different. I'm not sure what my own interest levels are currently-as far as participation goes-but I definitely wish nothing but success and happiness to each of you. Even those of you I-GASP-disagree with.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Fuck you Paul! I hate your fucking guts! ... Ok... that was weak.

Seriously, can you poke your brother about the CNC resin mold stuff? Lotta my partners i ncrime at the game store have started asking about resin pieces for terrain.
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Van Der Litreb »

SumDumQuim wrote:Oh my, you are as charming as they warned me you would be! :aww AND you know what quim is, so that puts you one up on my man!
I know and appreciate what quim is and does, so I definitely will not be putting anything up your man. :)
\m/
SumDumQuim
Tasty Human

Post by SumDumQuim »

I read that aloud to Ray, there was an audible sigh. Now the question is.... was it a sigh of relief or regret?
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Bonefish wrote: Seriously, can you poke your brother about the CNC resin mold stuff? Lotta my partners in crime at the game store have started asking about resin pieces for terrain.
He doesn't actually do very much of the communication thing, so I suspect we'll both have equal luck at reaching him.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Serious Paul wrote:
Bonefish wrote: Seriously, can you poke your brother about the CNC resin mold stuff? Lotta my partners in crime at the game store have started asking about resin pieces for terrain.
He doesn't actually do very much of the communication thing, so I suspect we'll both have equal luck at reaching him.
So he's just a fucking tease, then? I'll start sending some smoke signals, I guess.
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

So how are people liking the Nerd Pride Radio forums, anyhow? They've had a little time to get going, now; is it cool over there? I don't think it's anyplace I'd join, but I do get curious.

Has anyone heard anything more on archiving Animalball? I keep referring over there and everything's still up, but I keep dreading the news that they've decided not to bother, and everything we've ever done over there will be as smoke, which terrifies me.
Nicephorus
Bulldrekker

Post by Nicephorus »

It's going ok. About 50 members, games getting played. Mix of Animalballers, newish people (or people whose username I don't recognize), and kids. Substantive talk is a small percentage of the posts, mostly just people goofing off.

I've heard nothing about Animalball. As a precaution, I've copied many of the great things that I've posted.
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

Dude, we need to renew your apathy prescription. Some of us can safely say there is nothing we've ever done on Animalball worth saving, and I count the one time I entertained Paul and Crazy Elf thought I was funny.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Ancient History wrote:Some of us can safely say there is nothing we've ever done on Animalball worth saving...
Well, you figure, if nothing else, that statistics are on my side: if you write millions of words, some of them must be worth something.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

It's okay. Mostly fluff, and far too much of that is weeaboo anime bullshit, but it's okay.
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

3278 wrote:
Ancient History wrote:Some of us can safely say there is nothing we've ever done on Animalball worth saving...
Well, you figure, if nothing else, that statistics are on my side: if you write millions of words, some of them must be worth something.
Monkeys and typewriters, man. I've had free e-zines reject my writing. The fact that you've written millions of words does not imply they are worth diddly/squat to anyone else. If they mean anything to you, you should have them archived away yourself somewhere by now.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Ancient History wrote:
3278 wrote:
Monkeys and typewriters, man. I've had free e-zines reject my writing.
Perhaps the trick, then, is to not be a monkey.
Ancient History wrote:The fact that you've written millions of words does not imply they are worth diddly/squat to anyone else.
That's certainly true, but I'm not keeping them for "anyone else," and the original statement wasn't about "anyone else."
Ancient History wrote:If they mean anything to you, you should have them archived away yourself somewhere by now.
The act of archiving everything from there that I think is worth keeping - which encompasses hundreds of posts from dozens of users - would be unthinkably impractical, even if you pull a Deev and WGET the whole site. It's not practical. It's massively less practical that encouraging the Joneses to maintain it, or offering to maintain it on freespeech. It's simply a better solution.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Salvation122 wrote:It's okay. Mostly fluff, and far too much of that is weeaboo anime bullshit...
Yeah, I think that worries me more than the kids and the good behavior.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Ancient History wrote:Some of us can safely say there is nothing we've ever done on Animalball worth saving, and I count the one time I entertained Paul and Crazy Elf thought I was funny.
And some of us safely can't. No need to cast aspersions on the rest of us due to your own problems relating to people. :D
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

3278 wrote:
Salvation122 wrote:It's okay. Mostly fluff, and far too much of that is weeaboo anime bullshit...
I remember when Sal like anime. :D
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Bonefish wrote:I remember when Sal like anime. :D
And I remember incredibly depressing phone conversations with Wendigo, when he would call at all hours of the night.

I also remember a phone conversation with a certain teenager that took four hours to finish a sentence, from a certain house party in Ohio. So don't start laughing too much there, slow-poke. We were all young and silly at one point or another. Some of us are just older, fatter, and sillier now.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Jeff Hauze wrote:
I also remember a phone conversation with a certain teenager that took four hours to finish a sentence, from a certain house party in Ohio. So don't start laughing too much there, slow-poke. We were all young and silly at one point or another. Some of us are just older, fatter, and sillier now.
You know, I still have to wonder, with all the shit you guys had to do in Ohio, why the fuck ya'l ldecided calling a 16 year old would be a good idea. I'm not complaining.

And don't mistake my comment for laughing, so much as reminiscing.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Bonefish wrote:You know, I still have to wonder, with all the shit you guys had to do in Ohio, why the fuck ya'l ldecided calling a 16 year old would be a good idea. I'm not complaining.
Because Deev had alcohol, a cell phone, and phone numbers. That combination works to explain a lot of Bulldrek interactions offline. :D
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I recently had a two hour skype conversation with Bone, and I can attest to the fact that he no longer talks as if he's borderline catatonic. :)
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

Bonefish wrote:
3278 wrote:
...? When was that, perchance? I like Bebop, and I kind of enjoyed what I saw of Big O, but I've never been an otaku by any stretch of the imagination.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

3278 wrote:So how are people liking the Nerd Pride Radio forums, anyhow? They've had a little time to get going, now; is it cool over there? I don't think it's anyplace I'd join, but I do get curious.
It's fun. I realise by posting there that I'm completely out of touch with the next generation, though. They watch a LOT of anime.
Nicephorus
Bulldrekker

Post by Nicephorus »

Crazy Elf wrote:
3278 wrote:So how are people liking the Nerd Pride Radio forums, anyhow? They've had a little time to get going, now; is it cool over there? I don't think it's anyplace I'd join, but I do get curious.
It's fun. I realise by posting there that I'm completely out of touch with the next generation, though. They watch a LOT of anime.
It could be a biased sample as most of them know each other. Also, Zen is in his forties.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Salvation122 wrote:
Bonefish wrote:
3278 wrote: Yeah, I think that worries me more than the kids and the good behavior.
...? When was that, perchance? I like Bebop, and I kind of enjoyed what I saw of Big O, but I've never been an otaku by any stretch of the imagination.
I think it was about 11 to 12 years ago.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Crazy Elf wrote:It's fun. I realise by posting there that I'm completely out of touch with the next generation, though. They watch a LOT of anime.
Nerds.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Bonefish wrote:I think it was about 11 to 12 years ago.
Sure you're not confusing him with Nex? Nex was quite the anime fan back then.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Jeff Hauze wrote:
Bonefish wrote:I think it was about 11 to 12 years ago.
Sure you're not confusing him with Nex? Nex was quite the anime fan back then.
you know... Could be. There's a lot of things in between there.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

It was cool to like anime back then because it wasn't mainstream, yo. Fuck liking anime now, I don't want to do shit that other people do.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Crazy Elf wrote:It was cool to like anime back then because it wasn't mainstream, yo. Fuck liking anime now, I don't want to do shit that other people do.
Not liking mainstream is mainstream.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Bonefish wrote:Not liking mainstream is mainstream.
Really? Then why the fuck did Two and a Half Men get eight seasons, hmm? Answer me the fuck that!
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Crazy Elf wrote:Really? Then why the fuck did Two and a Half Men get eight seasons, hmm? Answer me the fuck that!
It was so mainstream it became non-mainstream. That or the tiger blood.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Well you may be right. I don't know what the fuck that show was but I know it couldn't have been a comedy.
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

SDQ: "The fuck does Elf know about comedy?"

(For the record, I'm with you on this one, Elf.)
It's all about crystal meth and Gwar. - Hauze
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Raygun wrote:SDQ: "The fuck does Elf know about comedy?"
I'm an expert on what's not funny.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Crazy Elf wrote:I realise by posting there that I'm completely out of touch with the next generation, though. They watch a LOT of anime.
Being a 35-year-old college freshman has been...most enlightening in this regard.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

You're schooling again?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Oi! Has anyone noticed Animalball is down? Does anyone know if they left up an archive somewhere of both old forums?