The Oxycontin Express

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

The Oxycontin Express

Post by DV8 »

This is a great 45 minute documentary about prescription Oxycontin addiction, a pharma-created version of heroine that is prescribed to treat severe pain. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7DHMqHFSB8
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Holy Crap - yes, I will be watching this.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

I just watched the whole thing...very well done. I can confirm that, in my area, things are just as bad as the program make. While street drugs are still a problem, the illegal prescription drug trade is huge by comparison...for all the reasons the program highlights.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I learned a new term yesterday. Croaker.
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

AtemHutlrt
Bulldrekker

Post by AtemHutlrt »

I just don't understand how it is that every single manufacturer and distributor of this drug is known, licensed and regulated, and, yet, somehow this is a problem no one can figure out how to solve.
The sun shines in my bedroom
when you play;
and the rain it always starts
when you go away
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I'm about as familiar with the dangers of drug abuse as someone can be and still be mostly alive, but this shocks even me. Certainly part of it is the drastic reduction in traffic fatalities - thanks, fucking airbags - but I wonder about drug deaths. The statistics in that article are all absolute figures - not corrected for population, in other words - so they're basically useless: I'd be interested to see the percentage figures [as represented on the map, less-than-helpfully] for the last few decades. I'll try to hunt them when I have a few minutes to spare.

Seems like the problem, ultimately, is in our drug obsession, taking them, prescribing them, abusing them.

Reading the article did that thing where I get irritated enough to start sweating. I can't help but feel some parenting is lacking in some of these cases, he said, referring to the deaths of other people's children as politely as he knew how.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

AtemHutlrt wrote:I just don't understand how it is that every single manufacturer and distributor of this drug is known, licensed and regulated, and, yet, somehow this is a problem no one can figure out how to solve.
Well, it happens when guys like me get proscribe pharmies for a minor injury/surgery. We take a few for our pain, then re realize we have an entire script of these things, and we don't want'em. So, what do you do? Ya sell'em.

You can't really regulate what happens downstream of the customer, who should be the "end user".
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I don't think you're discussing the same thing Bone. I could be wrong.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Bonefish wrote:You can't really regulate what happens downstream of the customer, who should be the "end user".
Well, you could certainly control it a lot more than we are. You could limit the maximum prescription amount, for example, that people would be allowed to take without returning to the doctor. You could limit the number of times a single user is prescribed the same medication for problems which are supposed to be temporary. And of course you can catch illegal users and follow their supply upstream, although our success at doing that hasn't been brilliant with other drugs. We could do more than we're doing.
AtemHutlrt
Bulldrekker

Post by AtemHutlrt »

Bonefish wrote:
AtemHutlrt wrote:I just don't understand how it is that every single manufacturer and distributor of this drug is known, licensed and regulated, and, yet, somehow this is a problem no one can figure out how to solve.
Well, it happens when guys like me get proscribe pharmies for a minor injury/surgery. We take a few for our pain, then re realize we have an entire script of these things, and we don't want'em. So, what do you do? Ya sell'em.

You can't really regulate what happens downstream of the customer, who should be the "end user".
You're absolutely right - that sort of thing really is very difficult to control, but one thing you could do is not prescribe this deadly, widely-abused drug for "minor" injuries. And I'm not certain what's different about regulation in Florida that allows this Oxycontin Express business to happen, but you could also consider not doing that. I mean, every other state seems to have figured it out.

Greater oversight and harsher penalties for violating physicians are, I think, perhaps the most effective ways to deal with this problem. Now, I'm not saying it's a good idea to do that stuff, but, if you're serious about addressing the issue, then I don't see what's so complicated about it. Like I said: we know where these drugs are coming from. Every single pill. We know who's distributing them. This is very different from every other modern drug epidemic. Of course you can't prevent "downstream" abuse, but there's a lot of upstream work that can be done. This just seems to me like one of those issues that's still so new, no one's really wrapped their head around it.
when you play;
when you go away
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

Coincidentally, I am now on Oxycodone. I've only had a couple of doses in the last two days, but I don't see what the big deal is. I hurt, take a pill, then I sleep, then I don't notice the open wound in my groin so much. Can't imagine wanting to get that foggy when I'm healthy. Or maybe caffeine and sugar own my soul and there's no room left for illegal drugs.
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. They also misapply overly niggling inerpretations of Logical Fallacies in place of arguing anything at all.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

From what I understand, that narcotic effect you feel when you're in pain is somewhat different than the one you feel when you are taking narcotics simply to get high. The narcotic will cut through the pain effectively, and you'll be high from a chemical/biological standpoint, but the euphoric feeling is far diminished (unless you're on a really high dose) when you're actually in pain.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Before too long, it'll just be impossible to fake pain.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Serious Paul wrote:I learned a new term yesterday. Croaker.
Hmm. You don't suppose that's because a lot of drug addicts read fantasy, do you?
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Huh. Everything I ever need to know my Shaodwrun group will teach me.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Serious Paul wrote:Everything I ever need to know my Shaodwrun group will teach me.
An excerpt from Tales of A Tenth Grade Shadowrunner, by Pauly Hume. :D
AtemHutlrt
Bulldrekker

Post by AtemHutlrt »

3278 wrote:Hmm. You don't suppose that's because a lot of drug addicts read fantasy, do you?
Is that any good? I've heard it's good.
when you play;
when you go away
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

AtemHutlrt wrote:
3278 wrote:Hmm. You don't suppose that's because a lot of drug addicts read fantasy, do you?
Is that any good? I've heard it's good.
It's awful, and I've just read all of its Wikipedia articles, and a couple interviews with the author, and I'm about to go into the library and pull the books off my shelf and start reading them again. It's typical TOR fantasy: pulp, yes, but really fun pulp.

[edit: Hmm. Well, they're not on the shelves, to they're either in the boxes I haven't unpacked (because I don't have half enough shelf space for all my books), or I sold them (not at all impossible), or they're in Paul's closet, downstairs, with the rest of the "books I couldn't sell and didn't want, so Paul kept them, which thankfully gave his father something to read." That guy chews through books like me.]
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Ah spelling. Not job number one apparently.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

It's also very possible to come out of noir (comics/films/literature/whatever). I'd actually hazard a guess that drug users tend to associate more with noir than fantasty, but that's just personal experience talking. Croaker is pretty much the noir version of street doc. It pops up now and again in pop culture, tracing as far back as The Spirit comics in the late 1940s. There's a few other examples off the top of my head: Sin City (I believe, I'm going from memory, as I no longer have the books), Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead, and some other 50's drug movie I'm drawing a total blank on the name at the moment.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
AtemHutlrt
Bulldrekker

Post by AtemHutlrt »

Jeff Hauze wrote:I'd actually hazard a guess that drug users tend to associate more with noir than fantasty, but that's just personal experience talking.
From my experience, drug users tend to associate with Half Baked and Pink Floyd.
when you play;
when you go away
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

AtemHutlrt wrote:And I'm not certain what's different about regulation in Florida that allows this Oxycontin Express business to happen, but you could also consider not doing that.
According to that documentary, it's because Florida (or certain parts of Florida, I don't recall) has no electronic patient database that gets shared between clinics. So you can take one repeat perscription for pain meds and go to different clinics with it to get your pills.
AtemHutlrt
Bulldrekker

Post by AtemHutlrt »

Well, Florida should buy a computer, then. Maybe they could get a younger, tech-savvy state to help them.
when you play;
when you go away
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I suspect that this situation won't last forever.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Jeff Hauze wrote:
It's also very possible to come out of noir (comics/films/literature/whatever).
If that slang word came from that series of books, I'd soil myself in surprise. I'm reasonably certain the slang term predates the books, because I think the character is probably named for the slang. I just wanted an excuse to talk about the Black Company. :D
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

AtemHutlrt wrote:From my experience, drug users tend to associate with Half Baked and Pink Floyd.
Only those loser stoner hippies. And Bonefish. Real users know better: It's all about crystal meth and Gwar.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

Couldn't have said it better myself.
It's all about crystal meth and Gwar. - Hauze
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

I thought real users watched whatever came in on that old cabinet teevee, because they'd already pawned everything else.
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Bonefish wrote:I thought real users watched whatever came in on that old cabinet teevee, because they'd already pawned everything else.
No, that's if you're one of those poor people from the South. It's definitely Gwar if you're a real user.