Come to Chicago, watch me get hit

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I'm starting to wonder if there's anything besides Shadowrun and Battletech you actually do like, Jeff. :)
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

DV8 wrote:I'm starting to wonder if there's anything besides Shadowrun and Battletech you actually do like, Jeff. :)
Sure. Currently, that list would include Ctech, cooking, currently enjoying the show Numb3rs, Netflix (can't believe I didn't use this sooner), and my job, actually. That's off the top of my head.

Plenty. Contrary to popular belief, and popular Jeff jokes, two half-naked dudes rolling around on a mat and punching each other in the crotch really isn't very interesting to me.
Last edited by Jeff Hauze on Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

Bonefish wrote:You never watch Punch and Judy?
Nope.
3278 wrote:Yeah, you looked fucking stupid while you were beating the crap out of that dude.

I think your image is safe.
Not really worried about my image, more the idea that I'm not doing things as well as I could.
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

See, and I thought Bone meant you looked ridiculous, not that you were using poor form. Perhaps I misunderstood?
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

I thought I looked ridiculous because I was using poor form. If the form was fine, and it's just ridiculous to watch someone kick another person in the face, I'm fine with that. :)
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Err, that was kinda my point, is that the form doesn't quite look right. I'm not tryign to be critical, I just think it's an area you definitely could work on.
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

I think it is important to keep in mind that if all you have ever watched was professional fights, everything will look a bit sloppy in the amateur ranks.

Having seen all of Jim's fights thus far, I can say without hesitation that your form has improved by leaps and bounds Jim.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

And again, I hope I don't sound like I'm being too negative Jim, I'm very impressed.
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Daki wrote:I think it is important to keep in mind that if all you have ever watched was professional fights, everything will look a bit sloppy in the amateur ranks.
Well, so long as Jim doesn't start the half naked-rolling/crotch punching thing, I'm pretty sure he'll continue to look better than the "professionals".
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

He'd totally take an MMA match if it was offered to him, I'm sure.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

DV8 wrote:He'd totally take an MMA match if it was offered to him, I'm sure.
Sure, but he still wouldn't be one of those idiotic, beer gut bouncing, shaved head "pitfighters" that seemed to make up 90% of UFC during its first five years of existence. Or worse, actually being one of Tank Abbott's fans. I get the MMA appeal, particularly the wider range of MMA available now and the better mix of styles. But it's all forever tainted for me, because I grew up seeing the birth of UFC, back when it really felt like they were nothing more than PPV bumfights (and I'm pretty sure they were). So all I can remember is these godawful boring fights with two dudes trying to armbar each other (and didn't know how) while alternating crotch punches (because what else are you going to do at this point). Jim's fights are clearly not that.
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

I would definitely take an MMA match if offered, but my ground game lags behind my (substandard) stand-up.

That said, thankfully none of the amateur MMA fighters around this promotion are in the Tank Abbott mold. (And I've never been a fan of his.) There's a lot of respect between the fighters (both MMA and kickboxing) which is a nice environment to be in.