Come to Chicago, watch me get hit

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Come to Chicago, watch me get hit

Post by Big Jim »

If any of you are looking for an excuse to visit Chicago in the near future, I have another kickboxing fight coming up on February 5th. What better reason do you need than watching someone hit (and possibly kick) me in the face?
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Heavy_D
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Heavy_D »

I'm afraid I'll have to pass on that very seducing proposal. I leave for a skiing trip the next morning so I'll have to do with a handycam vid that someone will hopefully post on YouTube.

Good luck Big J!
It's lonely at the top. But it's comforting to look down upon everyone at the bottom.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Ah, the benefits of living in the city. By the way Jim, any details on where to get tickets?
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

I know you can get tickets through the location's website: http://www.roadhouseelgin.com/. I'm not sure if tickets will be available through the promotion of Bert yet, I'll let you know.
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Has anyone made the Roadhouse jokes yet?
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

Yes, but please don't let that stop you. You think it's a coincidence they named it that?
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I hadn't even considered that. Wow, that's pretty awesome. :)
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

I won't be there, but if anyone is willing to take a digitical recording of me yelling: "kick'is'ass seabass!", I'll be there in spirit.
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

Just a quick reminder this is happening this Friday, February 5th. Come out and watch me get hit!
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Somebody better take some quality video of this epic battle.
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

Don't look at me, I'll be a little busy.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Big Jim wrote:Don't look at me, I'll be a little busy.
Panty-waist. Just strap the camera to your ego. It's big enough to handle the extra weight. :D
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Perhaps you can mount the camera on your headgear and do what Pride FC did with their refcams. :)
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

One last bump for tomorrow, and since I now have an opponent, a bit more detail:

<b>What:</b> Kickboxing, including low kicks. 3 2-minute rounds.
<b>When:</b> Friday February 5th, first fight is at 8:00. I have no idea when I'm fighting.
<b>Where:</b> Roadhouse 200 Prairie St. Elgin, Illinois
<b>Why:</b> To fulfill your long-standing fantasy of watching me get punched in the face. Repeatedly. It might happen this time!
<b>How much:</b> General Admission tickets are $20, no idea if more expensive at the door.
<b>Getting tickets:</b> Stick with getting them at the door.

<b>How to get there:</b> Take I-90 to IL-31 S. Turn left at Chicago St, then right at Riverside Dr. Turn right on Prairie St and it will be on the left very shortly.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

What's the scoop on your opponent?
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

I know very little about my opponent. He's 1-1 having lost his last fight, somewhere around my height, somewhere around my age, and somewhere around 205-210.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

So you're going to straight beast on him then? Good.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Goddamn giants. I can't imagine what it's like to fight someone whose 200+. I mean, I have, but why? I'm 150lbs though, sop fighting you Jim would be a bad experience. Just bad.
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Jim's weight is not that intimidating, it's the sheer enjoyment on his face as he gets punched in it that unsettles most people. :)
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

Paul, that is absolutely the plan. We'll see how the reality of the situation goes, though. ;)
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Van Der Litreb »

Good fightin'!
Tiny Deev
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Tiny Deev »

Good luck Jim!
Funny, yet sad. Kinda like getting tit-fucked by a clown.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Kick his ass Jim.
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

So it turned out my opponent ended up backing out. Actually all of the fighters from his gym (4 in total) backed out of their fights, leaving a bit of a scramble for the promotion. I ended up fighting a guy who weighed in at 275 - he originally supposed to be 270, but based on the ring announcement he was 275. I won on judges' decision, but this was a hard fight. Even so, I managed to break his nose.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Excellent. How do you feel? Everything in order?
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

Everything is still in working order, thankfully. My legs are a bit sore. He had a sweep/kick from his rear leg to my rear leg, which is something I hadn't worked on before so he hit me pretty solidly with it a couple of time before I figured out how to deal with it.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Yeah it's a learning process. Every time I get down I learn something new, or something that I'd previously missed.
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

And if you're interested in watching a very big man kick me in the legs repeatedly, here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwGm19Owjlk
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Finally you find someone that's willing to accept lowkicks and he's got legs like treetrunks! Seems like you had an awesome match, he put up a good fight while still being underclassed due to your reach and speed. His leg sweeps were cool, though. I wonder what would've happened if he had set those first few sweeps as low kicks placed right above the knee. It might have been a little bit more difficult. :)
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Yeah, if he'd been delivering those kicks to your knee, or even just the thigh, you'd have lost a great deal of mobility. You should really go work your kicks too Jim, your form on the snap-kicks* looks atrocious, no offense. I think it would help you to be able to lay into someone's thigh and sap their energy and mobility. Adding more tools to your repoirtoire is never a bad thing.

Good Going though man.
*Angel kicks, whatever they call'em.
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

Not sure which kicks you're referring to. The front kicks (push kicks, whatever) to the body, or the roundhouse kicks to his legs? Either way, they need work, I'm well aware. :)

One of the more interesting aspects of fighting in the ring versus training/sparring is the breakdown of technique due to adrenaline and fatigue. I’m so much sloppier in the ring compared to even an intense sparring session.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Yeah any fight you live through you did right. No plan survives enemy contact, right?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

When I first started playing fighting games on friends' consoles, I wasn't very good, because I didn't have a console to practice on, plus I just kind of suck at video games. So I'd end up playing until I found this one cheesy trick that I could do over and over and over until I knocked the other guy out...which worked fine until they figured out how to get past my one cheesy trick, and then I didn't have anything else. This fight reminded me of that, can't imagine why.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

3278 wrote:When I first started playing fighting games on friends' consoles, I wasn't very good, because I didn't have a console to practice on, plus I just kind of suck at video games. So I'd end up playing until I found this one cheesy trick that I could do over and over and over until I knocked the other guy out...which worked fine until they figured out how to get past my one cheesy trick, and then I didn't have anything else. This fight reminded me of that, can't imagine why.
Wouldn't it have been simpler to just get the dinosaur out of the wheel that was generating electricity for your Stone Age Colecovision? That way, they wouldn't have to worry about your one cheap trick, old man.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Big Jim wrote:Not sure which kicks you're referring to. The front kicks (push kicks, whatever) to the body, or the roundhouse kicks to his legs? Either way, they need work, I'm well aware. :)
The Roundhouses. I've got a very informal introduction to Mauy Thai, from my buddy who learned it as his Krav Maga class, but we've done a fair bit of sparring. Those kicks become fucking phenomonal. The "traditional" idea of shin kicking a wooden post or tree isn't too far off, if you slow your kicks down. The ultimate goal is that every time you raise your knee for a kick, your opponent won't know whether to defend his lower leg, thigh, hips or head. And once you get an opening, blast it, continuously. It's hard to punch when your whole leading leg is one big angry bruise.
One of the more interesting aspects of fighting in the ring versus training/sparring is the breakdown of technique due to adrenaline and fatigue. I’m so much sloppier in the ring compared to even an intense sparring session.
Undoubtedly. That's why training should always seek to replicate the fight as closely as possible. What's your cardio like? For example, back when I trained with any degree of "seriousness"(not much), I would run fast for 3 minutes, then slow down for 1 minute, then fast, then slow.

Of course, it never works, and you always end up with gloves that way 30lbs by the end of the fight.
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

I ended up taking another fight on short notice, which just took place on the 5th. Full contact rules, so everything had to be above the waist (not my choice!) There's video up already, from two different angles:

From the balcony: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW9rTHLLYvk

From the stands nearly opposite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYRugigp9BI
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Nicely done Jim. Nicely done.
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

Thank you, I definitely felt more comfortable in the ring this time. Always room for improvement, though.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

I think you need to do more of those fights where you get to use lower kicks though. High kicks are, well, worthless. And..uh...you look goofy kicking, Jimmy. No offense, I mean, I look goofy just breathing...
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

Goofy?
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Goofy, a synonym for silly. I'm saying that when you do those high kicks, you look awfully comical. I wouldn't say that i nthe ring...hell, maybe I would. I'm dumb enough to put the gloves on and go toe-to-toe with someone who is 100lbs bigger than me, so why not call you silly?
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Depends on the delivery of the upper-body kicks. If you are taking a long sweeping wind-up to your kicks, that won't get you far.

Now, if you are throwing Thai-style cutter roundhouse kicks...
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Daki wrote:Depends on the delivery of the upper-body kicks. If you are taking a long sweeping wind-up to your kicks, that won't get you far.

Now, if you are throwing Thai-style cutter roundhouse kicks...
Yah. I just generally prefer to keep my kicks working on the knee, mid-thigh and kidney/liver.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Bonefish wrote:High kicks are, well, worthless.
The entire world of Muay Thai would like to disagree with you strongly, and offer free lessons in pain on how wrong you are.

Silly flying/spinning jump kicks? Yeah, epic fail. Somebody who can pull of rapid delivery roundhouses or front kicks with the necessary flexibility? Yeah, there's some folks I've regrettably sparred that could quite literally box with their feet.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Jeff Hauze wrote:
Bonefish wrote:High kicks are, well, worthless.
The entire world of Muay Thai would like to disagree with you strongly, and offer free lessons in pain on how wrong you are.
And I take those lessons sometimes :). But it's also fun to watch a high-kicker get in the ring with a brawler/swarmer who wrestles. The high-kicker goes to hammer the guy, and the next thing you know is that the swarmer has just rushed him, performed a single leg take down, and the kicker is trying to figure out how to work on his back.

I'm sure that High kicks have their worth, and if you're good at them, I'm sure you can do great things. But in my environment, they tend to end with me on my ass. OR with a dislocated knee.
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

Silly? Comical? Ouch.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

You never watch Punch and Judy?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Yeah, you looked fucking stupid while you were beating the crap out of that dude.

I think your image is safe.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Big Jim wrote:Silly? Comical? Ouch.
I think Bone was trying to tell you the same thing that I was the other day, only...well, perhaps not as eloquently. :)
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Oh god...I just realized...Bone's a UFC fan. Dude, the fact that you were a Johny Reb, I could forgive that. The fact that you work for Brown...I worked around it. But a UFC fan? Man...that's like sixteen million times gayer than me.