Art requires sacrifice.

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Tiny Deev
Bulldrek Junkie

Art requires sacrifice.

Post by Tiny Deev »

So, I recently decided to take up Parkour again. I used to do it, a little bit, but I was forced to quit because my knees blew up. (I grew too fast, and the ligaments started to let go from the bone.) The pain was pretty extreme, and it still hurts when I walk a flight of stairs, but I've decided that art requires a sacrifice.

I love Parkour, it makes me feel good about myself, makes me feel more free then the rest of the people, and if I have to suffer a bit of pain I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

Have you ever sacrificed something, so you could do a thing you love? Be it a sport, follow an education, or anything.

Please tell me, so I can still convince myself that I am not making a mistake. :)
Funny, yet sad. Kinda like getting tit-fucked by a clown.
paladin2019
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by paladin2019 »

sStrap your legs together and go.

Personally, I have two herniated disks grinding nerves into my spine. I habitually wear 40+ lbs of equipment, armor and weapons as a job requirement. So I wake up in pain until I can stretch my hips for 30 minutes. What else am I gonna do? Good thing I love this shit. :D
-call me Andy, dammit
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Personally, I think you have one set of knees and until they figure out some new, cool, affordable prosthetics, these are going to have to last you for at least 40 more years. You're 18 now, and that's no age to get permanent knee injuries. Having said that, I think there are ways for you to do what you want while being smart about it. Talk your doctor, perhaps a physiotherapist and figure out whether a) you should do it, and b) how to do it.
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

Is drinking an art?
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Tiny Deev
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Tiny Deev »

Drinking isn't, but if you do it right, getting home is. :)
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Van Der Litreb »

You absolutely do not want to fuck with your knees. Before you start doing parkour (or something like that), go see a doctor first. I blew out a knee a while back, and I don't think it's ever going to be 100% again. A knee is seriously not something you want to mess up.
Tiny Deev
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Tiny Deev »

I know, my knees already are kaputt.
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

You THINK they are already kaput. Just wait until you pop one out of joint, sideways.

6 years later, it still tries to re-enact this moment of freedom at random times.
Hello, I'm a signature VIRUS!
Copy me to your signature to help me grow.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Did you put it back in on your own?
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Speaking as someone who had a similar view around that age... trust me, they aren't shot yet. You definitely do not want to have severe, lasting knee pain for the entirety of your 20s and 30s. Most orthopedics won't even consider knee replacement surgeries until you reach late 30s/early 40s.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Believe them. I think I was 21 when I dislocated my knee, and I even think there's a post on here about it. It hurt then, and it hurts every now and then. It's pretty bad pain too.
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

I think I stubbed my toe once, while I was stretching really far for the remote. That sucked.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

how the fuck did you stub your toe reaching for a remote? Were you using your monkey feet, or something?

But seriously, if you are going to do Parkour, I think you should consider investing in great shoes. And fuckit, maybe wear some pads or gloves or something.

Or is this one of those crazy "I need to go around nekkid and prove my masculinity" things, like Celts and those fucking bear-shirt wearing guys. Fuckin' A, I'm confused by it all.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Jeff Hauze wrote:I think I stubbed my toe once, while I was stretching really far for the remote. That sucked.
Well, I suppose that can be artistic. :)
Tiny Deev
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Tiny Deev »

Nah, if I want to prove my masculinity I'll just walk around nekkid.

When my doctor gives me the thumbs up, I'll invest in some good equipment.