Getting attention

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Getting attention

Post by Crazy Elf »

I'm wondering if anyone here does anything to try to get people's attention. I know I sure as hell do, hence the career choice of standing in front of large audiences and making them laugh, but I'm wondering what other people do in order to get attention from those around them.

In front of large crowds I'm pretty good, but I find that in small social settings I'm not nearly as good at drawing attention to myself. I tend to become very reclusive, and thus any attempt to take up attention resorts to crowd tactics or is a very controlled effort not to do so.

How about yourselves?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I almost never try to get peoples' attention in this context, but I desperately need it. More significantly, I want them to not just perceive me, but perceive me "accurately," by which I really mean I want them to think of me the way I think of myself, which only sometimes reflects me accurately.

On the other hand, if you watch me in a crowd, or even in small groups, I give a pretty fair impression of trying to get people's attention, but it's not conscious; it's just how I act. Partly it's an alpha thing, partly it's a self-centeredness thing. I just kind of act like, at any time, it's perfectly appropriate for me to move the focus of conversation back to whatever I'd like the focus of conversation to be. It's got to be terribly irritating.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I just don't care if people pay attention to me.
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

I don't like being the center of attention in a larger group at all, but I love the attention you get in an engaged 1:1 dynamic (SHOOT ME NOW). What I mean to say: on Friday we had a party at mine. I was in the kitchen with one or two other people. Everyone else is in the living room, until people migrate to the kitchen. I love that 'en petit comité' feeling of separating one conversation or one dynamic from the larger group. I love the undivided attention part of it.

So do I like attention? Yes, absolutely. I'm just very picky about which kind.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Re: Getting attention

Post by Moto42 »

Crazy Elf wrote:In front of large crowds I'm pretty good, but I find that in small social settings I'm not nearly as good at drawing attention to myself. I tend to become very reclusive, and thus any attempt to take up attention resorts to crowd tactics or is a very controlled effort not to do so.
For performance, I'm the opposite. I prefer to draw the attention of small groups of three to ten people. The crowds you play like a fiddle would leave me helpless. ... It'll come in time.

For attracting attention for a performance I find that playing with a deck of cards (flourishes and shuffling) draws questions, pulling an object out of an unussual location and asking "did anyone drop this <planted prop>?" work wonders. I have a sponge ball routine that I fall back on a LOT.

In gatherings of my friends I prefer to have attention off me, except for a few comments, then I just sit back and listen.
I "salt the conversation" as a friend of mine put it.
Last edited by Moto42 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

Quote /= Edit
Last edited by Moto42 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello, I'm a signature VIRUS!
Copy me to your signature to help me grow.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Moto42 wrote:I'm a magician trying to go pro. I think that will put me somewhere below a stand-up but above a juggler.
I had no idea! That's awesome!

Just remember that when it comes to crowds there are two keys. One is to never take yourself seriously, as that road leads to pain for you and all viewers. The second is to realise that talking to an audience is much like having a one on one conversation. Treat the crowd like they're one person, and allow them a chance to RESPOND to what you're saying. Ask them questions, and when you're talking leave breaks for them to make noises as though they're listening.

Do that, and large crowds are pretty easy.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

I'm pretty terribly passive. I already know what I know; I want to know what you know. This makes it somewhat difficult to make friends or get dates.

That said, if I'm talking to someone, I expect (and demand) their full attention, to an almost obnoxious degree. People texting while I'm talking to them drives me up a wall.
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

Thankyou CE. I'll keep those in mind.
Hello, I'm a signature VIRUS!
Copy me to your signature to help me grow.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Not really? I mean, I don't go after attention, but I often end up with it and we get into the whole might as well make lemonade bit. If the plan ends up 'be the center of attention', okay, let's roll with it, but given a choice I'd rather have a nice round table everyone gets attention for a bit thing.

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Kai wrote:Not really? I mean, I don't go after attention, but I often end up with it and we get into the whole might as well make lemonade bit. If the plan ends up 'be the center of attention', okay, let's roll with it, but given a choice I'd rather have a nice round table everyone gets attention for a bit thing.
I'm sorry, what were you saying? This monkey was too busy dancing.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

I definitely work at trying to get the attention of other people, especially car drivers. Where I used to wear dark, subdued colors like navy blue, grey, black, or dark brown mixed with white and the occasional burst of rust, orange, or maroon, I now lean toward bright colors like fire engine red, bright yellow, florescent, and white.

Hell, I ride a fucking road bike. You can hardly blame me.

Of course, once I get to work, I throw my dark clothes on, but on the road...yeah.
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

I like small bursts of attention. I tend to pepper conversation with retarded puns and other low forms of wit. If I get 1 laugh in every 10 attempts I call it good.

Otherwise, I like to hang at the edge and offer observations as they come.
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. They also misapply overly niggling inerpretations of Logical Fallacies in place of arguing anything at all.
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

I don't like being the absolute center of attention, but yeah I've been known to spout some serious shit to get attention - in a classroom, on IRC, in a small social setting. Part of it is residual please-teacher-my-hand-was-raised-first nonsense, or just a desire to spice up a dull conversation while making myself look better. I'm aware of it when I do it, and sometimes I fight it, sometimes I don't.