Indoctrination?

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Indoctrination?

Post by WillyGilligan »

Because I can't tell who's reading which forum, I'll just post this twice.

I'm stealing this from another forum, and that How the World Works guy, but apparently the President is set to give a speech to schoolchildren soon. The notes from the Dept. of Education have given teachers some ideas for teachable moments in conjunction with this event. One of them has struck a chord with people, though. Buried among the other points is an idea to have kids write letters to themselves about how they can help the President. Some people seem to have a problem with this, saying that it is reminiscent of Marxist governments and that this is left-wing indoctrination.

Can anyone here actually draw these connections for me? Presidents have talked to school kids before, politicians are pretty well known for trying to get kids to become more active in their communities, so what's the problem? I really want to know what any of these anti-indoctrination people feel about the Pledge of Allegiance.

Oh, if you're curious, the HTWW guy's video on this is here.
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. They also misapply overly niggling inerpretations of Logical Fallacies in place of arguing anything at all.