What the World Eats - A Photo Essay

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

What the World Eats - A Photo Essay

Post by DV8 »

Time magazine did a small photo essay called What the World Eats, where a family poses with all the food they consume each week. They also give their favourite food, and how much they spend on food each week. I thought it was kind of interesting and wanted to share. Enjoy.
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

The German family is my favorite, because they were honest enough to put the beer in with the food budget.
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. They also misapply overly niggling inerpretations of Logical Fallacies in place of arguing anything at all.
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

The Mexican family is drinking a terrifying amount of cola. Mmm . . . diabetes. The Poles, as usual, are clearly just trying to gross people out.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Grifter
Tasty Human

Post by Grifter »

What, you don't like pig's knuckles?

Guess they couldn't add the Dutch, 'cause there'd just be a phone and some take-away fliers.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Speak for yourself, man, my kid brother rocks the kitchen. :)
Grifter
Tasty Human

Post by Grifter »

Actually, I was kidding. I try to cook for myself as much as possible. I love my wok. :)
Tiny Deev
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Tiny Deev »

Wokking is kind of like the microwave. It can't be called cooking really. :)
Oh, I make my favorite dish with the wok though.
Funny, yet sad. Kinda like getting tit-fucked by a clown.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Time has dones various things like that before. the one I remember is photographing various families from around the world with all their worldly possessions in front of them.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

This is awesome, thanks for sharing.
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
Sam
Tasty Human

Post by Sam »

This is not representative. I feel the need to point out that not all Brits eat catfood as part of their regular diet. Just in case there was any confusion on the UK table spread.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

It pretty much tastes the same...

*runs and hides*
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

Sam wrote:This is not representative. I feel the need to point out that not all Brits eat catfood as part of their regular diet. Just in case there was any confusion on the UK table spread.
lol

I didn't even notice the pet food in that one.
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I think this is incredibly interesting. The first thing that captivated me with the difference in amount of food from place to place, but what really fascinates me is the relative difference in pre-packaged food versus fresh produce.

My favorite place to eat is apparently Mongolia, where the food is copious [unlike Chad], not disgusting [unlike Ecuador], and not prepackaged [unlike apparently the entire developed world].

Each of us should do this for a week.
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

You were impressed by the sacks full of grains and beans too, huh?
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

3278 wrote:I think this is incredibly interesting. The first thing that captivated me with the difference in amount of food from place to place, but what really fascinates me is the relative difference in pre-packaged food versus fresh produce.

My favorite place to eat is apparently Mongolia, where the food is copious [unlike Chad], not disgusting [unlike Ecuador], and not prepackaged [unlike apparently the entire developed world].
That was exactly what struck me as well. Can you imagine how healthy and ALIVE we'd be if we went Mongolian for a week?
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

If you lived through it, I'm sure it would make a good story.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Serious Paul wrote:If you lived through it, I'm sure it would make a good story.
You're making it sound like going to war. :)
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Exactly, it's not Gaza City! :)
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

When's the last time Mongolia went to war?
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Bonefish wrote:When's the last time Mongolia went to war?
When's the last time they lost one?
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

about 500 years ago.
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

The foods I like the most are either the Egyptian families or the Mongolians. They look pretty good. I like the meat content of Mongolia. It's ridiculous. I think I could dig that.
Eva

Post by Eva »

Guys, guys, I'm not saying we need to go channel Ghenghis for a week.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

I'm just wondering where these American families are shopping and how they can spend multiple hundreds per week on just food.

Oh wait, look at all the soda. Nevermind.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

High fructose corn syrup...the 5th food group.
</font>
AtemHutlrt
Bulldrekker

Post by AtemHutlrt »

Eva wrote:Guys, guys, I'm not saying we need to go channel Ghenghis for a week.
I'm not sure if my genitals could handle it. Dude was prolific.
The sun shines in my bedroom
when you play;
and the rain it always starts
when you go away
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Eva wrote:Can you imagine how healthy and ALIVE we'd be if we went Mongolian for a week?
Baby, I'd "go Mongolian" with you anytime. Although I'm not sure we'd be healthy or alive after a week. Still, if you want to "whip the horses," I'd be glad to "sack some capitals" with you.
Tiny Deev
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Tiny Deev »

That is just awefull. Haha
Funny, yet sad. Kinda like getting tit-fucked by a clown.
Eva

Post by Eva »

He's a pro. 'Hij zit erop' as we would say.