Open Source software that idents file types

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Open Source software that idents file types

Post by UncleJoseph »

Hey Gang,

Anyone know of any open source software that interrogates the headers/footers of files to show their true format?

For example, if I rename all of my MS-Word documents with a .jpg file extension, Windows will recognize them as image files, unless I know beforehand to open them with a graphical viewer.

So, I'd like to be able to run a program on a folder or group of files to determine if they are truly the kind of file their extensions/file associations imply.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

I'm reasonably certain that for a variety of reasons this can't actually be done.

Do you have a specific case you want to know about?
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

No specific case, yet. There is a program that does it, but the training and software cost $4000 (partly because they give you a laptop to keep...but it's not a special laptop, it just has everything pre-loaded on it, and they make a percentage). I just know that there are usually open source solutions to large, corporate retail versions.

FTK is one software package that does it...
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

Not aware of any open source options that do this, sorry. The software I work with reads the header information to determine application type, but doesn't display a list for a group of files.
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

Big Jim wrote:The software I work with reads the header information to determine application type, but doesn't display a list for a group of files.
Does it only do one file at a time then?
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

No, the file format detection is secondary to the main purpose of the software. It reads the header information so it doesn't have to rely on the extension to determine the type of file when the file is brought into our system.
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

If I had more programming ability, I'd just write a utility that does this for me.